Re: Phenomena(1985)

Have the full soundtrack. The main theme, piano isolated track is good, as is sleepwalking. Really great soundtrack.

Just watched it last night for a first time. Guess I am a late bloomer when it comes to Argento.

Not as good as Opera but I found it to be more enjoyable than Tenebre and Inferno. Maybe on par with Suspiria. But what's up with overuse of Iron Maiden? Not that I dislike them but just completely out of place, IMO.

Giallos are not known for being strong on making things "normal."

I'd read that a lot of people think it's one of Argento's weakest, but when I was watching it, aside from just being in awe, all I could think was "them people be crazy!" I loved this movie.

All I got to say

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-l5QEp5RG0wI/Ta8ss2Q0NOI/AAAAAAAAAW0/bHfYtT67bwA/s1600/phenomena-monkey-deusexchimpanzee.jpg

NonEuclidean wrote:

I'd read that a lot of people think it's one of Argento's weakest, but when I was watching it, aside from just being in awe, all I could think was "them people be crazy!" I loved this movie.

I thought it was a nice departure. It certainly an odd film, which is part of it's strength for me. I always thought he could have played up the insect telepathy angle a bit more.

It was also fun because it hearkened back to the gazillion old films with apes as the bugaboo.

I pity the fool who talkin' bout bugaboo monkeys.

http://electrokami.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/star-wars-mr-t-as-yoda.jpg

Even though many do state that this is Argento's weakest film, hopefully, only judged upon his other works by those people, no matter what he does, it's always a cut above everything else. This is definitely up there as one of my favourite films.

Yeah, I would strongly disagree that this is his weakest film.  I think anyone who would call it that has never seen his Phantom of the Opera.  Or Yellow.  Or The Card Player.  Or Trauma (though even that one has its moments).

Yeah i gotta agree, not his best, but far from Argento's worst. And I liked Trauma, though it's been a few years since seeing it. Plus it has my fair Jennifer Connelly in her second feature film.

got the Arrow dual format of Phenomena
a good film from Argento but not keen on heavy metal soundtrack which Argento would later use on Opera

he was going through a phase.....

wolfman1959 wrote:

sorry to crash the party folks but i've always considered this  to be Dario Argento's worst although i must admit, haven't seen all his films. not the biggest fan of his  anyway.

I don't consider it to be his doggone worst, but I DO consider it rather mediocre.

Very good movie

A pox on all who dislike this movie!  Argento very nearly out-crazies Asian horror with this flick.  I really don't see what's not to love about it, it's just so wacky and off-the-wall.

It's hard not to be impressed with the opening scene of Phenomena, set to Bill Wyman's 'Valley', and photographed with such precision by Romano Albani (who'd also shot a good chunk of Argento's Inferno). The colour palette with its hues of blue and green, the roving camera combined with the music, the atmosphere's just so dense! Regardless of whether one appreciates the films over-the-top aspects and mashing of the many disparate elements into a bizarre whole, Phenomena  sure is a work of technical brilliance.

Last edited by mathisvogel (2014-06-02 02:21:48)

^Well said! Plus I do dig the whacked out over the top aspects too big_smile

Nice movie...