Topic: Horror films and how you watch them?

This thread may seem a bit odd but that's coz I am totally odd so I was just curious to know whether you guys have any quirky customs or preparation criteria you like to meet in order to sit down and watch an highly anticipated horror movie you've been looking forward to???

A few years ago I used to skin up a few spliffs in readiness (is that even a word?) so I could smoke about three spliffs during the course of a film. These days I like to prepare a meal and get a crate of lager in before I watch, say, the new Evil Dead or Carrie film in my home cinema.

Just wondering if anyone else has a routine they like to abide by whenever they watch a film or whether I'm just an hopelessly anal geek!!!

It can be anyting that you choose, from having a can of cherry coke in the fridge to locking your front door. It's a horror thing afterall so no scaredy cat comments will be ridiculed!!!

Be fun to hear your horror film conditions...

Re: Horror films and how you watch them?

Oh, good idea for a thread.

I like to turn off all the lights and have a candle going in the kitchen for some source of far away light.
Usually a bottle of wine or a glass depending how I'm feeling.
I like to eat cheese curds too while I watch.
Nothing too crazy but I always have to do this.
And if I get up to go to the bathroom I always RUN.
Haha

I prefer to watch horror in the dark, so generally at night.  But it's not a requirement.
I always have my smoke and my tea with me. 
Bobo & Jojo like to watch (except shark movies), so I make sure they're set up.
Occasionally I have Ziggy up to take notes.

And of course, I always enjoy watching a film with my HM friends.

Fulcento wrote:

A few years ago I used to skin up a few spliffs in readiness (is that even a word?) so I could smoke about three spliffs during the course of a film. These days I like to prepare a meal and get a crate of lager in before I watch

What are spliffs?  A crate of lager...does that mean a lot of beer?  Seriously, I'm not joking.  Fulc I do love your posts, they are colorful.

Ok, if its me and a movie I really am looking forward to...

I like night and lights off.  Even more complicated now with a two year old as she sometimes protests.  So, best if she's sleeping.  If I am really excited, I put the computer away and phone out of reach.

Sometimes I go downstairs and watch it there.  I will admit, with all the lights off I do get freaked out sometimes.

Last edited by Ghostseeker (2013-04-06 16:08:49)

That's the best part getting freaked out, ghost!

azathoth wrote:

Occasionally I have Ziggy up to take notes.

Ziggy?

And my requirements are that it has to be night, dark, and I'm comfortable! For some reason I don't really like watching movies during the day.

Lights on and phone off to avoid being startled. Not in the dark unless I'm with another person. Used to be a major scared cat and peek through the holes of an afghan blanket or fast forward through jump scares. If I'm alone I watch with headphones in, usually. I sit close to the TV, probably look like a glowing automaton or something. If I'm watching Asian horror (the masters of the jump scare), I sometimes cover my eyes and watch through my hands, Phantasm II style.

Ghostie -- spliff = joint. wink

I'm not particular about what time of day, lights on or lights off, so long as it's quiet and there's nothing to distract me (that's what she said -- heh).  As for an pre-viewing rituals, nope, none.  Unless you count making sure I have some smokes and something to drink handy.

Nowadays, it doesn't really matter how I watch movies.
This morning I watched one on my iPad. Sun was out. My curtains are not dark so lots of light in my room. Sometimes I'll watch one at night ,again on my iPad, before bed in the dark.
And other times I'm at the bf house. I'll watch on my laptop at whatever time of day.

I like to check into hell before I watch my films - sets the mood perfectly. Sometimes my fav pal Satan joins me.

Depends on the movie. A good cheesy horror movie from the 80's is best watched with friends and normally with a few beers. Silent horror films are best watched in small groups or alone, preferably with some wine or a stiff drink. Other than that, horror movies need to be watched in the dark and are generally better after a few rips of the devil's weed.

Wow, some devil's weed, Frankenstein and Punk-on-a-stick(?) trifecta! 

http://th01.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/i/2013/037/c/1/devil_s_weed_by_nikolass_by_nikolass83gianni-d5u2l66.png

Last edited by azathoth (2013-04-07 13:58:58)

Nothing too outlandish.  I grab a glass of wine and plop down in my comfy chair.  It is usually at night, as that is usually the only time I can get the tube to myself, with the volume low (I need to invest in some earphones with a long cord) so it doesn't bother anyone else in the house.  Lights on or off it doesn't matter.  And usually one or both of my dogs will join me sitting at my feet on the ottoman.

Last edited by alien25 (2013-04-08 15:08:40)

Jack Daniels. Wine. OR beer. But yes, Devil's weed is added to most of my watching. lol

Ghostseeker wrote:
Fulcento wrote:

A few years ago I used to skin up a few spliffs in readiness (is that even a word?) so I could smoke about three spliffs during the course of a film. These days I like to prepare a meal and get a crate of lager in before I watch

What are spliffs?  A crate of lager...does that mean a lot of beer?  Seriously, I'm not joking.  Fulc I do love your posts, they are colorful.

Ok, if its me and a movie I really am looking forward to...

I like night and lights off.  Even more complicated now with a two year old as she sometimes protests.  So, best if she's sleeping.  If I am really excited, I put the computer away and phone out of reach.

Sometimes I go downstairs and watch it there.  I will admit, with all the lights off I do get freaked out sometimes.

Yeah, Lon already answered your first question about spliffs so to answer your 2nd, crates of lager usually come in boxes of 18, 20 or 24 (cans) over here so yes, it is a lot!!! Don't worry though, there's usually some leftover the next day... sometimes! big_smile

Another one I forgot to mention is mobile phone switched off and landline taken off the hook so no annoying people interrupt my viewing haha!

Last edited by Fulcento (2013-05-06 13:47:43)

So long as I'm in the mood to watch a flick, doesn't matter the situation. Alone, on me big TV, in the dark. Sitting here with 8 people in the room, yapping their faces off, watching on my laptop. When the mood strikes, I watch.  I watched Blair Witch Project at work one night when I got all my shit done, and refused to help the slow pokes. I just sat on the floor, and watched it on my MP3 player for 1hr, then finished it in the shitter. LOL! Good times. smile

^
I like your style Zed!!

Last edited by wolfman1959 (2013-05-10 15:43:25)