Topic: Anyone Seen Evil Dead 2013 Yet?

Has anyone seen the new Evil Dead yet? What are your thoughts on it? Any good?

Re: Anyone Seen Evil Dead 2013 Yet?

Haven't seen it yet. Plan on seeing it tommorow night.

I have wait two more weeks for this!

Scary movie 5 out next week, I going to spoof Evil Dead remake before I see The Evil Dead remake! lol

^ Same. Scary Movie V for me first as well. Excited for both.

BY THE WAY, MAKE SURE YOU DO THE SPOILER TRICKS FOR ANY POSTS IF YOU SPOILERIZE!.  (The ** Spoiler ** thing or the color=black thing).

A bunch of folks here don't get this released for another week or 2.

It was a great remake.  It paid homage to the originals without outright copying them.  It was gory as hell and didn't hold back on that.  And yes it was 99% practical effects just like they promised, so it was more realistic.  It had no humour to lighten it up either.  It was a straight up old fashioned Horror movie.  There were plenty of Easter Eggs from the original movie too.  So it was fun pointing them out.

I saw it last night, I really enjoyed it that is all I will say

I'll be seeing it in theaters tomorrow night. I'll come back with my report/review then. big_smile

I have, and posted my review in the other ED thread.

I was real excited to see this.  Wasn't horrible by any means but wasn't great.  Gory kills that make you cringe instead of make you feel a good kind of scared.  There is a difference between ART, and this movie.  EVil Dead is art. This movie is gory kill after gory kill trying to out due the last kill.  It was like a poor man's cabin in the woods with more gore.  Worse acting, worse direction.  More scary than Cabin in the WOods for sure which is what some people will like.  It was not a good type of scary in my opinion though.  Had it's moments but I prefer the scares that are scary, but a bit humerous at the same time and though this movie had a couple of those, it was mostly disgusting.

I'm just now walking back in the door from seeing it.  In a word:

Sucked.

It followed the same basic idea of the original but possessed absolutely nothing that made the original so memorable.  Lots of blood and a few gory kills, but no energy, no mean-spirited sense of humor, and no fun whatsoever.  Throw onto that bland actors you couldn't give half a crap about and a seriously contrived finale and what you have is a pale imitation, a Platinum Dunes flick in everything but name.

Very disappointed.  I'd go 3/10, and that's being generous.

Well that's disappointing.

I don't usually get excited over the prospect of a remake but knowing Campbell & Raimi had given the flick their seal of approval got my hopes up.  But I knew within the first ten minutes I wasn't going to like it.  I stayed with it out of hope that it would get better as it went along, but no.  I found myself checking my watch at regular intervals and by the time the end title card jumped up, I was more than ready to leave.  Didn't even bother staying for the post-credit cookie.  It's a sad day in Lon-Lon Land. hmm

Damn!  You're a buzz kill!

I have my moments. big_smile

Dang, bummer.  I was looking forward to seeing it in the cinema, now maybe I will wait for it to hit DVD.

Luckily we're not all LoudLons. lol

Except for Mr. Lon, most people that I know that have seen it, have said good things. So I have hope.

It's pretty good. Not the best remake but much better than most of the shit we get nowadays. I actually thought it was pretty fun. I just wasn't sweeped off my feet. Also stay til after the credits.. I guarantee you'll leave the theater smiling even if you don't like the movie..

I finally got to see it tonight. Uh... it was OK, I guess. The special effects were very well done, I'll give it that, but ultimately the movie didn't have much personality. The actors felt like the typical teen horror-flick types that we've all seen before, and when they get possessed they don't go as bat-shit insane as they did in the original. Remember when Ash's girlfriend was possessed? None of them matched her. Not a bit. And remember how when the demons spoke they actually sounded demonic? Not here. The line delivery was weak at best - catch phrases trying to harken back to The Exorcist mostly, which didn't work.

And that last act... was downright pitiful. I hate HATE when they do shit like have the hero say stuff like "GO.TO.HELL!" which isn't the line here but is delivered in the same way. Turns me right off.

Points for practical effects only. It was damn bloody.

Last edited by NonEuclidean (2013-04-10 00:46:38)

LoudLon wrote:

no mean-spirited sense of humor, and no fun whatsoever

Really??

I thought there were a a few dark moments that were humours because of how horrible the situation was.
Highlight below for spoilers.

When Natalie (the blonde girl) gets her second arm shot off was just grisly funny in a sick way. Also the car landing on Mia's arm and her ripping it out was also sickly humourous. Some of the thins that Possessed Mia says are darkly funny I found too like when she when she tells the blonde girl to kiss her - explicitly or what she says to her brother lol.

But of course maybe not everyone found those parts humourous. I'm sure there are more, but I can't remember every detail from the film haha.

And like what MoonRaven has said, more people seem to like or love this than who hate it, so if you were excited for it don't let one bad review turn you away (ok sure there is more than one, but some of you were turned off as soon as you read Lon's opinion, just form your own if you were excited for it, if you weren't excited anyway maybe wait). Every single movie ever made gets it's share of good and bad reviews (ok maybe not all get good ones haha).

Last edited by Vamp_Slayer (2013-04-10 07:03:56)

NonEuclidean wrote:

And that last act... was downright pitiful. I hate HATE when they do shit like have the hero say stuff like "GO.TO.HELL!" which isn't the line here but is delivered in the same way. Turns me right off.

But...that's what happened in the original. "I'll swallow your soul!" "Swallow this!"
Lol. You must hate a lot of final acts because there are tons of horror movies that have lines like that.

I never care about reviews and people's opinion about film. I always form my own and most of the time I like the flicks. Very rare are the ones I don't like. And oh I KNOW I'll just LOOOVE this one. seen and read enough stuff to know I will.

And I love remakes. lol

Last edited by kXnPunk (2013-04-10 08:30:54)

Vamp_Slayer wrote:
NonEuclidean wrote:

But...that's what happened in the original. "I'll swallow your soul!" "Swallow this!"
Lol. You must hate a lot of final acts because there are tons of horror movies that have lines like that.

Oh I know that one... that's not the line that bothered me. It was the final character's line that in that confrontation that bugged me.

I think they always say a zinger at the end of an action scene to relieve the tension.  And that scene was pretty intense.