Topic: Cronenberg

So lately I've gotten into Cronenberg just a bit. 

First I watched Videodrome a couple weeks ago.  Took me a couple viewings before I could finally get into it, but the last 20 minutes are off the charts and basically any scene that is in the dark where he is watching Videodrome or hallucinating is freaking awesome in my opinion.

Then I watched the Brood and this is just a different type of scary right here.  Videodrome was scary but it was really badass as well.  Brood was just one of the more scary films I've ever seen.  Cronenberg's ability to take a ridiculously campy idea, and keep it campless is just unreal.  Takes the idea of something that might normally be a B movie, and keeps it real enough to make it an A movie.

Obviously the Fly is acclaimed...

I'm going to watch SHIVERS one of these nights...

Anyone else here been on an old school Cronenberg kick lately?

I also downloaded an episode from the Friday the 13th 1987 TV series that is bound to be great directed by Cronenberg.

Re: Cronenberg

Cronenberg is a genius. His other horror flicks are great too;
Existenz is an awesome horror/sci fi flick, as is Scanners, Rabid is another early horror flick of his worth checking out, Dead Ringers is another disturbing and sexually charged horror flick worth checking out.
Even his later films, not so much in the horror genre are great; Naked Lunch is a crazy ass movie, defying genres, Eastern Promises is an awesome and violent crime story, as is History of Violence. Spider wasn't bad, but was pretty slow, hardly remember it honestly. And I haven't seen his most recent two, but they have not received universal praise.

my second favourite horror director after George Romero and Mario Bava third. As Theli says his non horror films sucha s " A History Of Violence" and " Eastern Promises" are very good too.i wish he would go back to horror though.

Cool I was getting ready watch SHIVERS as well.

I also really liked Rabid not seen that for while,

The Dead Zone was not to bad, I didn't think it was one of his best!

He has such a unique style, and many of his films are great (Videodrome being a favorite of mine) but I think some of his films are way out there. Like Naked Lunch for example, I bought that only knowing the plot and hearing great things from friends, but I disliked it. It's just so all over the place.

But he's great, there is no doubting that.

I actually like his older films, especially Shivers much better than his later stuff like Videodrome and Scanners. Hard to explain why, I just do.

I'm a huge Cronenberg fan. Love all of his films that I've seen (haven't seen the non horror stuff) I especially love Scanners and The Fly.

With being Canadian comes being a Cronenberg fan..My all time fave is Shivers closely followed by Rabid

Yep, love me some Cronenberg.  Seen all his flicks except his pre-Shivers films (as far as I know, anyway).  But as much as I love stuff like The Brood, Shivers and The Fly, my favorite film of his to date is A History of Violence.  It really is an amazing film, with far more layers than my first seem apparent.

I thought Shivers was his first. It's one of the few I haven't seen either, I've been looking for a copy on DVD, but they are pricey.

Shivers was his first feature film but he did earlier films like this one before that

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0065036/