Re: Found Footage Films

Bassi looked at the trailer for that..looks pretty crazy..might have to check it out

alien25 wrote:

Damn Bassi, where did you come across Unaware?  It has been on my list to see for what seems like forever.

I Wish I didn't now, as it  was so boring, one of the or maybe THE dullest Found footage movie, I have sat thought, I have seen a lot!

vomitdoll wrote:
Ghostseeker wrote:

^ Yes, he had been doing it to her for a while, and been doing it to others too.  I actually liked that segment, cuz it kinda freaked me out.

The only one I hated was the one at the lake.

I hated the lake one too...I was just mad the entire time.
I did laugh hysterically with that blonde girl though...like..really?

Theli wrote:

I thought all the segments in VHS were decent, though some are obviously better than others. I thought the worst one was Second Honey Moon. Though a particular scene that is very giallo-eque is really cool, the story was just weak.

The Second Honeymoon definitely could have been better, guess I just wanted more of a back story with it. So demanding...It freaked me out only a little because of the night time parts...Don't like that at all

I just found the second honeymoon mind numbingly boring and unengaging. No suspense whatsoever.

^Perhaps it was because it followed up Amateur Night, which was probably the highlight of the entire film, but I think that Ti West's segment gets undo criticism.  Yeah, there is not a lot of action, compared  to the the previous segment, but the simple premise of going on a honeymoon with someone you think you really know, only to find out that your are but a pawn in their game is absolutely chilling.  I have been married for 21 years now and the idea that your significant other could do that to you is truly scary.  I think it goes to show that Ti has got a grasp on the psychological aspect of horror without needing to resort to gore and cheap tricks to make the viewer really think about what is going on.

Yeah I like Honeymoon too.  With him sleeping, unaware that his future killer was there messing with him...freaky.  Then like alien wrote, the betrayal.  To each their own though.  smile

Ghostseeker wrote:

Yeah I like Honeymoon too.  With him sleeping, unaware that his future killer was there messing with him...freaky.  Then like alien wrote, the betrayal.  To each their own though.  smile

I liked it for what it was, but it could have been better smile

vasquez wrote:

I just found the second honeymoon mind numbingly boring and unengaging. No suspense whatsoever.

Maybe I found it suspenseful because I don't like being messed with while I'm asleep. Who knows.

alien25 wrote:

^Perhaps it was because it followed up Amateur Night, which was probably the highlight of the entire film, but I think that Ti West's segment gets undo criticism.  Yeah, there is not a lot of action, compared  to the the previous segment, but the simple premise of going on a honeymoon with someone you think you really know, only to find out that your are but a pawn in their game is absolutely chilling.  I have been married for 21 years now and the idea that your significant other could do that to you is truly scary.  I think it goes to show that Ti has got a grasp on the psychological aspect of horror without needing to resort to gore and cheap tricks to make the viewer really think about what is going on.

I totally agree with that, very well put.

alien25 wrote:

Granted it might be a effective idea but for me its the job of a director to realise it effectively. And for me he didn't do that for 90% of his segment. For that 90% I may have been watching any honeymoon video. And to me that is boring. But believe me I am no fan of other directors who rely on gore and cheap tricks. Thats the reason why I hated the recent film Hidden In The Woods and dislike Tom Six's and Eli Roth's films.

Whats everyones opinions on Noroi: The Curse. I thought it was distinctly mediocre.

^^
Watched it with Golem.  Thought it was fairly good, though a tad confusing tying everything together.  Around a 6 or a 7/10.

I thought noroi was decent , had some creepy moments. The director has done a couple more movies like Noroi since.

"Occult" - about some strange events happening to some guy who got stabbed , supposely loosely inspired by Lovecraft.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32W93wQOlHE

"Shirome" - about these young female J-pop idol group , it's a real group in japan.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPJpnf-nuY4

Watched Lake Mungo, it was creepy. Maybe a bit too... real with the documentary? Came across as boring at times, but it was worth watching.

BASSI wrote:
alien25 wrote:

Damn Bassi, where did you come across Unaware?  It has been on my list to see for what seems like forever.

I Wish I didn't now, as it  was so boring, one of the or maybe THE dullest Found footage movie, I have sat thought, I have seen a lot!

Still gotta see Unaware, but my vote for worst, most boring FF flick is easily Subconscious. Talk about a flick that went nowhere.

Really wanna see Atrocious as well.

^Atrocious is pretty decent, not the best in the FF subgenre, but at least it is original and doesn't follow the standard FF plot line.

Subconscious is pretty damn boring, nothing really happens.  But I do give the film maker credit for doing something different and allowing people to view it for free to try and get it out there.

I watched Lucky Bastard (2013) last night.  Again, a nice idea to do something different, but it was not particularly well done and ended up being boring.

@Alien- Saw about the first 30 minutes of Entity before I fell asleep (tired, not bored).  Looked good.  Nice catch, will finish that off soon.

^Coolio, look forward to hearing what you think of it Az.

^^
I liked it, say a 7/10.  I was less than thrilled with the ending, though.

Vasquez wrote:

Whats everyones opinions on Noroi: The Curse. I thought it was distinctly mediocre.

To me it's the best asian flick ever along with Ju-Ong and Ringu.

While not "found footage", Frankenstein Theory is pretty damn cool. It's a mockumentary about a guy's theory that Frankenstein was and is a real thing. It's not scary or gory, and sometimes you just go ,"guh" at the things said, but overall, it was a damn fun romp.

(can't we get this bug fixed?)

Last edited by Zed_Chuva (2013-06-19 22:08:00)

Wow, "Frankenstein Theory" is really a good tip and looks interesting. However, I think the found footage genre is a little bit too overcrowded, especially when it comes to cheap jump-scare-films like "Paranormal Activity".

So has anyone seen Willow Creek & Devil's pass ?

Willow Creek
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPlc9UY2iuQ#t=105

Devil's Pass aka The Dyatlov Pass Incident
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfe0E4YEJhg

No and no, but both look interesting.

Willow Creek got at least one really good review, and was written / directed by  Bobcat Goldthwait.  Looks promising and has some interviews with people in the movie to set up the story.  That is something Blair Witch did and has not been even closely replicated since.

Some freaky looking things in Devil's Pass.

I used to do a killer Bobcat impersonation back in high school.  Used to love doing it for the chicks because, well, they were chicks, and they laughed when I did it.  lol

I knew he was directing now but had no idea he did a genre flick.  I'll have to check that out.

Willow Creek makes me leary. It looks SOOO much like Bigfoot Country, and man, that was one of THE worst flicks I've ever seen.  I'll give it a shot, cause Bobcat has a good track record so far, but... hmmm.

Devil's Pass looks like it MIGHT be good. I'll def check it out, but the CG monsters make me question it.

Oh, and Bigfoot Country, don't waste your time. There is no Bigfoot. The hillbillies that harass them at the store rape the kill them in the end. There, just saved everyone 90min.

Zed_Chuva wrote:

Willow Creek makes me leary. It looks SOOO much like Bigfoot Country, and man, that was one of THE worst flicks I've ever seen.  I'll give it a shot, cause Bobcat has a good track record so far, but... hmmm.

Devil's Pass looks like it MIGHT be good. I'll def check it out, but the CG monsters make me question it.

Oh, and Bigfoot Country, don't waste your time. There is no Bigfoot. The hillbillies that harass them at the store rape the kill them in the end. There, just saved everyone 90min.

Willow Creek doees have some fairly decent reviews though unlike Bigfoot county. The trailer does make it looked pretty similiar though.
Willow Creek is known as the bigfoot capital of the world and they filmed on location so the interviews with the locals were authentic. It's a low budget movie so i imagine we won't see much of bigfoot if any or it'll just end up looking like a gorilla suit.

^^
If they were smart they wouldn't really show anything, just have half-seen glimpses of something moving around.  Or a monkey suit, I like monkey suits.  smile