Topic: Underrated Sequels

What are some movie sequels that in your opinion get an undeserved bad rap and don't get enough credit or love? They don't have to be as good or better than the originals, just sequels you think get a bad rap they don't deserve. Some underrated sequels I love are:

Ghostbusters II
Predator 2
Indiana Jones And The Temple Of Doom
Gremlins 2
Die Hard 2
Return Of The Jedi

To name a few.

Re: Underrated Sequels

The Ring 2
The 2 Grudge follow ups
Same with the Matrix ones, damn, they were as cool as the first, especially the last one.
Crank 2

Poltergeist 2. The reverend kane is one of the creepiest things on the screen.

Forgot about Poltergeist II. I actually prefer it to the original.

Hostel 3

Yes, I'm aware everyone here other than me hates the entire Hostel series.

Last edited by Ghostseeker (2013-04-11 00:29:15)

Ghostseeker wrote:

Hostel 3

Yes, I'm aware everyone here other than me hates the entire Hostel series.

well i quite like Hostel 2. haven't seen 3.

I really liked Hostel 2 more than the original...but it gets high praise I think

But the 3rd one I didn't get to finish maybe I will watch it today sometime... smile

Lon mentioned this in another thread, but I'll throw in Psycho II & III. Both brilliant sequels.

^^^ Word.

Crabs -- er, I mean, VD -- I prefer Hostel 2 as well.  Didn't like the first one at all and while I don't think the second one is GREAT, I do think it is a marked improvement.  I especially liked the bidding sequence, which showed us the workings of the bidding-for-murder process.

The first one was super boring to me...I liked the second one for that as well.

Wtf ok it got cut off .....I prefer friday the 13th part 2 over the original a little bit too? Will I get lynched for this?

^^^ Sometimes if you spend too long on a post or if it's been a couple days since you last logged in, your post will get cut off after you submit it.  It's a glitch, nothing we can do about it except grin and bear it. hmm

The second CANDYMAN,  GREMLINS 2, which I preferred to the first., BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN of course,  DRACULA'S DAUGHTER.

Ghostbusters II
Superman II
Smokey and the Bandit II
Poltergeist II
Home Alone 3
Star Trek V

Child's Play 2 (the giant explosion scene w/ Chucky near the end is pretty memorable, IMO)
Creepshow 2 (not great, but decent/enjoyable)
Zombi 3 (EPICLY TERRIBLE!)
Pet Sematary II (fairly creepy film)

Zombi 3 is great. Those guys knew what they wanted; going down the "bad movie" route wasn't enough, they made it a total shitstorm of fun.

Chomper wrote:

Zombi 3 is great. Those guys knew what they wanted; going down the "bad movie" route wasn't enough, they made it a total shitstorm of fun.

100% agreed, Chomps. There is a reason why Zombi 3 is one of my all-time favorite zombie flicks, just based on the enjoyable quality of the film.

^ lol one of my favourite movie watching experiences, I reckon. Had me laughing so much, great time! Glad to hear you're a fan of it as well, Creature.

Last edited by Chomper (2014-03-16 07:16:47)

Blair Witch Project I I. I liked that movie not like the original. Talk about boring. Could be mistaken but didn't the original start that type of paranormal activity style filming. Plus the stupid endings that leave you hanging. I hate them all.................sorry went off track. Big fan of the second movie wouldn't mind seeing a third or fourth.

Seems like if you didn't enjoy the original Blair Witch then there's a chance you could like the second. But to me, because I liked the first, I don't see anything of merit in the sequel. They're two completely different movies, only linked by name.

mike3881 wrote:

Blair Witch Project -  didn't the original start that type of paranormal activity style filming.

That's an interesting topic.  A lot of people consider Cannibal Holocaust to be the first "Found Footage" movie.  However, many others (like me) do not, as the actual found footage in that is not enough to make it a true Found Footage movie.

The Last Broadcast is generally considered the first Found Footage movie.  Blair Witch was after that, and many people think Blair Witch was inspired by it.  The "X" factor is The St. Francisville Experiment, which was actually made before Blair Witch, but released after it.  So whether this was before Blair Witch is debatable. 

I realize your question was probably rhetorical, but Found Footage is my favorite sub genre, and cuz it interests me I decided to respond.   smile

Last edited by Ghostseeker (2014-03-17 15:49:37)

Chomper wrote:

Seems like if you didn't enjoy the original Blair Witch then there's a chance you could like the second. But to me, because I liked the first, I don't see anything of merit in the sequel. They're two completely different movies, only linked by name.

I personaly prefer the first but enjoyed the story of the second a whole lot too. And man, NAKED KIM BIG BOOBS DIRECTOR, how could I not like. I love that in my DVD version they've put the whole soundtrack CD in, very sweet. smile

I'm gonna add Poltergeist III to this list. Going back to the first, I thought we all loved Return of the Jedi. Or am I missing some low ratings it's gotten? Well there are Star Wars haters. My sister's one of them.

The Creature wrote:

Child's Play 2 (the giant explosion scene w/ Chucky near the end is pretty memorable, IMO)
Creepshow 2 (not great, but decent/enjoyable)
Zombi 3 (EPICLY TERRIBLE!)
Pet Sematary II (fairly creepy film)

I have grown to like Chucky Part 2 more than 1 aswell.

Last edited by Vasquez (2014-03-21 15:56:03)

Alien: Resurrection (1997)
Amityville II: The Possession (1982) 
Amityville: Dollhouse (1996) (V) 
A Nightmare on Elm Street 4: The Dream Master (1988)
Boogeyman 2 (2007)
Boogeyman 3 (2008)
Book of Shadows: Blair Witch 2 (2000)
Cabin Fever: Patient Zero (2014) (To early to add on?)
Children of the Corn III: Urban Harvest (1995)
Child's Play 3 (1991)
Crocodile 2: Death Swamp (2002) 
Halloween 5 (1989) 
Halloween 6
Halloween III: Season of the Witch (1982)
Hello Mary Lou: Prom Night II (1987) 
Hellraiser: Inferno (2000) (V)
Hostel: Part III (2011)
I Still Know What You Did Last Summer (1998)
Jason Goes to Hell: The Final Friday (1993)
Omen IV: The Awakening (1991) (TV)
Pumpkinhead: Ashes to Ashes (2006) (TV)
Puppet Master 4 (1993) (V)
Silent Night, Deadly Night 5: The Toy Maker (1991)
Spider-Man 3 (2007)
hosts of Georgia (2013)
The Hitcher II: I've Been Waiting (2003)
House III: The Horror Show (1989) 
White Noise: The Light (2007)