These are not necessarily my favourite horror movies, but movies that I think look significantly better on Blu-ray than on DVD (Picture quality wise) - though I love Blu-ray and most look sharper on a big screen than DVD, these ones stand out to me as near perfect as far as Blu-ray goes.
- Silent Hill (the French region free release from metropolitan) http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Silent-Hill-Blu-ray/7661/
A perfect looking blur-ray that captures the stunning visuals perfectly.
- All the Boys Love Many Lane http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/All-the-B
Mostly because it's not on DVD in Canada or the US and the region free blu is pretty cheap.
-The Blood Trilogy http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Blood
The films may be questionable, but all in widscreen and remastered in HD, they look far superior to the DVDs.
- Dark Night of the Scarecrow http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Dark-Nigh
Who knew an 80s made for TV film would look so pristine. I just ordered a copy for myself after seeing the image.
- Drag Me to Hell http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Drag-Me-t
Beautiful picture quality.
- The Exorcist http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Exorc
Much sharper than the rather dull early WB DVD.
- I Know What You Did Last Summer http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/I-Know-Wh
Sony knows how to do Blu, and they should! Crisp colourful image here.
- Intruder http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Intruder-Blu-ray/17818/
Widescreen, HD, great extras, throw out that old Wizard entertainment DVD. This one even comes with a DVD if you don't want the Blu-ray (for some reason).
- My Bloody Valentine http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/My-Bloody
This is a very sharp image.
- Piranha 3DD http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Piranha-3
Sure the movie might be polarizing, but there is no denying the picture quality on Blu is spectacular with it's bountiful colours and crisp image.
- Repulsion http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Repulsion-Blu-ray/5272/
Criterion released this...that should be all I need to say, but I will also mention that the image is pristine and clear and is far and away an upgrade from the DVD.
- The Ruins http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Ruins-Blu-ray/884/
Another sharp image with great colours.
- Straw Dogs (remake) http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Straw-Do
Very sharp, strong and clear image from Sony again.
* Scream factory is doing wonderful as well with their releases, and as many of them were not previously available on DVD getting them on Blu only makes them look that much better!
Although I own a lot of horror on Blu, I can't quite recommend all Blu-rays to people who are indifferent to DVD vs Blu and already own the DVD, expect for the ones mentioned above, even despite my view of their superior picture quality, especially if some people don't particularly care about it as long they can see what's going on.
I do buy DVD sometimes and believe some movies wouldn't benefit from bluray (Blair Witch, The Bay, for examples), and some blurays (few, but it happens) do get bad transfers and look worse than the DVD (The Deadly Spawn) but with a few exceptions blu-ray will always look better on a big screen than a DVD even if it's not a breathtaking image.
*Note I'm not trying to push this on people! I am just a PQ junkie! I do hope this list ignites some interest in those who are on the fence and those who just want to upgrade. Also I linked the blu-ray.com pages, but I'm sure many of these can be had for differing prices elsewhere, there is just good information on those pages.
Last edited by Vamp_Slayer (2013-04-12 06:51:12)