Topic: Horror Plot

Im wondering which is the best horror movie plot ever made (or yet to be made)... whats u guys opinion.....

I personally think that saw´s plot is a very good one.... original, with lots of twists and with a not so usual ending ! ! Saw II was good as well .....  Lets see if the same is seen in saw 3 ....   !  ! ! ! !

Re: Horror Plot

The Exorcist.  It is original IMO because of the victim.  A little girl who hasn't done anything.  A girl who loves her mom and likes doing arts and crafts and gets possessed and turned into a spasaming monster.

And Dominion: Prequel to the Exorcist.  More original since this crippled boy near the work site goes into surgery to get one of his legs set right and he get possessed.  Only this time he becomes healed more quickly and continues to heal and grow more powerful.  A complete swtich on the possession deal.  Dominion is more of a character drama than a horror film, anti-genre in a sense.  It is A LOT better then Harlin's THE BEGINING

My opinion is that they should have stop at Saw 2. not that he cannot be relly good but cause it have more chance to scrap the idea and its not James Wan so...
but if it is good, they should try to make it more psychological  ,like the first one ,than physical like the second..

For the plots ,think HOSTEL was not the best but a very cool one!

The Others

I loved the plot of Ring and such, Pulse was better by a smakll margin, but what plot I liked the most, hmmm, probably Devil's Rejects for the fact it wasn't a film that was relatively closed, it was across an entire state with some great events going on!

Epic gore films rock.

I think that Se7en has one of the best plots I've ever seen.  And The Thing, one of my very favorite movies.  Both movies have fantastic characters and dialogue also, which is a big plus in a horror movie.

The ending to Se7en is definitely one of the best "good guys still win" endings. And the Thing's ending, great ambiguous bloody thing. Classic.

The Thing is a great storyline and the first Carpenter film I saw.  Scared the living hell outta me as I didn't know who was an alien and who wasn't. 

I have never seen Se7en.  I take it it is very good.

Uhu, it's still fairly disturbing at some moments, and it's plot is top, leading up to one of the top endings on a horror movie, oh God that murderer was so fucked up, great stuff.

Well I really liked Stir of Echoes and Sixth Sense.. I know some people say they saw it coming a mile away but I didn't.. It really blew me away.. Not to mention it had some very cool moments to boot..

Hellraiser...... receive the ultimate pleasure from intense pain

TheCryptikOne, James Wan did not do Saw II but he is going to write Saw III with Leigh Whannell which is why I have some faith is Saw III.  Saw to me was much better with Saw II and I hope the third one can redeem the trilogy.

As for horror plot, I think John Carpenter's Halloween because of all the hidden messages on sexual repression and the mind of a serial killer.

Edit:  I was just informed by Simitar that there might be a Saw IV... which means people never are going to stop making billions of sequels lol.

Last edited by TheDudeWithTheShotgun (2006-07-20 20:28:35)

Yea if Saw 3 does well they are going to instantly start up working on Saw 4.. At least Tobin Bell will be back again.. I just hope they get some good directors to follow the series.. I liked Saw 2 more than Saw.. To me Saw was more of a thriller and Saw 2 was more of a horror film..

You know, I have to agree with thegoldensimatar - The exorcist was a very well written novel and a fantastic movie. The fear comes from seeing innocence destroyed by a foul obscene entity - due to no real fault of her own (well, maybe the Ouija Board...).  The story was deeper than just great special effects and sound - the storyline itself was creepy. Take away the movie and read the novel, you will see how strong it really is.

The Exorcist I believe was a great plot it was very real, also another good one was Sleep Away Camp very very fucked up lets just say lol..

I would say that Se7en holds one of the most intriguing plots for a horror film.  The writing is just fantastic.  The Saw series is also up there along with The Exorcist and The Thing.

I think the movie plot that really threw me for a loop was Oldboy. It is an amazing movie and the twist at the end still makes me cringe. I think if after you watch the film you want to explain it to a friend but can't and all you can say is "you just have to watch it" then the plot is good.

i think the exorcist has one of the best plots. i really liked the stand though because something like that could really happen if the government gets stupider than they r now. hellraiser was really good to

Hard2Kill wrote:

I think the movie plot that really threw me for a loop was Oldboy. It is an amazing movie and the twist at the end still makes me cringe. I think if after you watch the film you want to explain it to a friend but can't and all you can say is "you just have to watch it" then the plot is good.

I would wholeheartedly agree with this, but I kinda thought the "villain's" motivation was a bit weak.  But that ending just blew me away.  I felt like I got hit by a mack truck.  I placed the word "villain" in quotes, because I did have some sympathy for him.

My number one plot would have to The Thing as well.   Fantastic plot; ambiguous ending.  Wonderful acting; compelling characters.  Shot beautifully. Special Effects that still stand up to this day.  It's just...perfect.   Though I guess only the plot has relevance to this topic.  But still, I like to look at the whole picture.

Seven was great as well, but again, just like with Oldboy, I kind of have a bit of trouble with the villain's motivation.

In no way, however do my reservations with Oldboy and Seven detract that much from my enjoyment of both.  They're both still fantastic films.

Last edited by sMart (2006-11-09 17:48:56)

Definatly agree with you on THE THING sMart.  I have to say it is very close to Campbell's original short story *Who Goes There*, outside of some minor changes...was and excellent adapation. 

Great story, Carpenter definatly squeezes every ounce of suspense from the pages and Bottin's FX are fantastic.

THE THING gave me nightmares for a solid week after I first saw it when I was 14.

I would have to say The Exorcist because it is such an original film.  Also, the book/movie was based on a true story and that makes it all the more compelling.  The book is amazing though as I have read that once.