Topic: Hemlock Grove

Hemlock Grove is available to stream on Netflix now.  I have been watching it all morning because it is seriously addictive!  It is a new series made for Netflix that was produced by Eli Roth and the first episide is directed by him also.  It is a little strange and off-beat like Twin Peaks. 

I am loving it so far but have lots of questions...

Re: Hemlock Grove

Hmm.  Not big on Roth but I'm eager to find something new to watch now that the latest season of Justified has ended.  Think I'll give this one a go, if I can find it for download.

Thanks for the heads up, O Ye of Much Mary-ness.

Last edited by LoudLon (2013-04-19 12:11:28)

I saw this this morning, added it to my queue.

Oooohhh lucky you.
Heard or read him talk about it somewhere. And what I saw from it looks nice. Red Band trailer is awesome. I'm gonna like it, I like very strange stuff. lol

And Holy H3LL the poster is extremely cool.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/38b07689c9981173e8ae63ede0f99655/tumblr_mj96b3sDqb1qcga5ro1_500.jpg

Last edited by kXnPunk (2013-04-19 12:36:04)

I plan on watching this!  Been looking forward to it and may start tonight.

The transformation sequence is great from the video i seen ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFWa0siiVb8

then he turns into an actual wolf , meh.

I am copy and and pasting my comment from Meh's review on Hemlock since it is kind of a mini review of my own...lol

Well, I just finished watching all 13 episodes, and I want more! Yes the show is not perfect… It suffers from stiff dialogue at times but it also has some really great lines in every episode! I find Famke’s accent distracting as well. However, I do know her character is supposed to be a European Upyr. So the accent is crucial to the character and we will probably get more back story on her in season 2. That is if we get a season 2…

The story gets more involved and interesting as the season goes, so I wouldn’t judge the whole show by just two or three shows. I think the reason the show is getting poor reviews by critics is that they keep comparing it to House of Cards. Personally, I didn’t care for House of Cards that much and lost interest about half way through the season. So to each their own. And genre fans keep comparing it to True Blood or American Horror Story and it just doesn’t hold up to those shows at all. I think a better comparison is to Vampire Diaries. But to compare it to Twilight? No way. It is not even similar at all. There is a love triangle but every Vampire movie or show has a love triangle these days. Actually, Bram Stoker’s Dracula had a love triangle as well. So I guess they can all be traced back to that one in one way or another.

My favourite character in the series is Shelley. I think the actress, Nicky Boivin, did a great job considering all she gets to do is grunt and point. In fact all the younger actors were good. Bill Skarsgard reminds me of a young James Spader at times. There is a great monologue at the end of episode 12 by the killer. Such classic horror monologuing going on there!

My major complaint about the show is that it needed more killings and gory scenes. even when a character died they would show it off screen and then flash to the bloody aftermath. maybe this was because of budget constraints? I keep hearing how so many people love the transformation scene in episode two. it was good but not great. Seriously, those who think it was great or awesome need to watch An American Werewolf in London again! Anyway, I hope Netflix gives us a second season because I am completely hooked on this show!

Last edited by DirtyGirl (2013-04-20 18:17:56)

^^^
Very cool one once more miss.

But the thing that hooks me the most is more killing and gory scenes. Very strange to me considering Eli Roth is behind it and that in all he's done gore and kills are very present. Yeah, strange. Very.

True... But he only directed the first episode and produced only three of the episodes.  He is not the only director.  Not sure if it would have been better with him directing the whole series or not.

The fan of him that I am thinks it would have. But that's just me. big_smile

Sounds pretty cool. I plan on checking it out soon.

I'm five episodes in and unimpressed.  Hoping that changes soon.

A few episodes into the series and I like what I see. I see the similarities between every other tv super natural show..............good thing I never saw any of those shows. I guess what sets this show apart is the nudity and cussing. It's a short season so no bs episodes. Eh it's not like anything else is on right now.

I got fifteen minutes into the first episode before closing it to play spider solitaire.  Not a good sign.  I'll give it another shot later, but I'm in no rush.

It's not for everyone for sure.  It is a little strange like Twin Peaks at first.  But it builds as the season goes.  The werewolf transformation is worth checking out.  I think it was episode 2.

Well within the first ten minutes I saw blood and boobs and thought, eh, typical Eli Roth, all sizzle, no steak.  I'll give it another go but like I said, I'm in no rush. hmm

Eli Roth is on Leno in a few. He'll certainly talk about this.
Nice, he's funny as H3LL in every interview I've seen of him.
A lot. I dig the dude.

I liked it. There some issues here and there, mostly in the dialogue department, but overall it was a pretty cool show.  I really dug the werewolf transformation as well. Very reminiscent of that one bit in Company of Wolves, and also in Trick 'r Treat.

Well sir Roth didn't talk about the show but his role in Aftershock which looks great and an octopus and a bloody finger. Don't ask, check Leno's site. lol

Damn can't wait to watch Hemlock. Soon I will. Soon.

Last edited by kXnPunk (2013-05-02 00:01:03)

One episode left to go in this and hope to watch it tonight.  Overall, this has not been a fun watch for the most part, but has gotten interesting towards the end.

Ok, all done with this series.  Overall, I wanted to like it, I really did, I don't think I did though.  I gotta let it sink in for a bit to know for sure how I feel about it.  At times it would have been laughable if it wasn't so horrible.  People talk about the dialogue, but what about the acting / writing / and story itself?  I think one of my problems was that there was so much going on, it all seemed kind of independent of each other and never really came together.  The finale was so anti climatic and it dragged on.

That said, it did have some good things going for it.  For those that liked it, I think that's cool.  I'm not trying to say it was bad, just maybe not right for me.

*** SPOILER ***

One thing I'm curious about, is in the very first episode, with the first girl that was killed...it was the female girl wolf right?  Wasn't the car actually liked knocked sideways though?  I watched it twice and seem to remember that.  Would the wolf of been able to do that?  Could it have been one of the dragons (son or mom) that did that?  Or am I missing that it actually was one of the dragons?  Seems that the drunk guy was suggesting it was a dragon.

*** END SPOILER ***

What was he song in the finale when dude was in the empty pool before going to the attic, and during the credits?

Holy hell. They put a new spin on transformation. That was some crazy shit.

Finished watching the season.........huh not sure what to think. The show feels like lost. Alot of potential but you know the story will eventually get screwed up..........if there is a second season I'll watch it just to see what becomes of the story. Atleast it had a ending that made sense unlike American Horror.

Last edited by mike3881 (2013-05-18 04:01:16)

Not that they mean much now, but 1000 toe tags to anyone that answers my question:

Ghostseeker wrote:

*** SPOILER ***

One thing I'm curious about, is in the very first episode, with the first girl that was killed...it was the female girl wolf right?  Wasn't the car actually liked knocked sideways though?  I watched it twice and seem to remember that.  Would the wolf of been able to do that?  Could it have been one of the dragons (son or mom) that did that?  Or am I missing that it actually was one of the dragons?  Seems that the drunk guy was suggesting it was a dragon.

*** END SPOILER ***

Only question I can answer on Hemlock Grove is Do I wanna see this???

FREAKING H3LL YES I DO!!!

The Werewolf transformation scene that I saw on You Tube is the baddest I've EVER seen. And I've seen a whole damn lot of them.

Last edited by kXnPunk (2013-06-22 03:37:06)