Re: What's the last book you read or bought?

Just finished readign Carrie last night. Quite the enjoyable book. It has amazing build up and hint at what is to come tghroughout. My worry was that already having seen the movie would ruin the ending, but King basically tells you at the beginning that shit will hit the fan by the end. The format is a little different too, there's no chapters and the book is told in separate sections taken from Q&A reports after the incident, news clippings and first hand accounts. Not my favourite King book (that's still It) but a damn good one nonetheless.

Theli wrote:

Just finished readign Carrie last night. Quite the enjoyable book. It has amazing build up and hint at what is to come tghroughout. My worry was that already having seen the movie would ruin the ending, but King basically tells you at the beginning that shit will hit the fan by the end. The format is a little different too, there's no chapters and the book is told in separate sections taken from Q&A reports after the incident, news clippings and first hand accounts. Not my favourite King book (that's still It) but a damn good one nonetheless.

One of my fav books.
Really enjoyed reading it.
And now that I have the Leatherbound version, me thinks it's time to read it again soon.

*spoiler

The relationship between Sue Snell and Carrie White is especially touching. They hardly know each other, but Sue has such a sweet soul (despite some very human flaws) and was able to connect with Carrie. The end was really moving, when Sue and Carrie are connected and she hears Carrie's dying words.

For those interested in stories about The Exorcist, specifically the controversy surrounding Eileen Dietz's involvement in the film, you may dig her new book, "Exorcising My Demons." Just came out this month: http://www.amazon.com/Exorcising-My-Dem … +my+demons

Last edited by DanofDarkness (2013-04-12 11:44:44)

I finally picked up The Walking Dead graphic novels, just the first one so far. A damn good read. I like the lback and white art, simple and effective. *spoiler* I knew that Shane died early in the comics, but I was surprised to see him offed already in the first graphic novel.

I also snagged the second Baltimore graphic novel, Curse Bells. I am absolutely loving this series. Mike Mignola is a genius writer. I can't wait for more.

Other than that I've been poking at some short stories by a few different authors, Algernon Blackwood (truly amazing, an influence to Lovecraft and his fans must check Blackwood out), Scott Thomas (old style horror stories taking place in old New England), Harry Shannon (raw and gritty horror, real good suff) and W.H. Pugmire (Lovecraft inspired, somewhat similar to Clive Barker, I dig it).

Last edited by Theli (2013-04-15 04:53:36)

Suspiria_89 wrote:

Let the Right one in and Battle Royale. I like the Battle Royale movie much better than the book.

May I know where you got your Battle Royale book???

I last read "Ju-On" by Kei Ohishi

TaigaMonstrosity wrote:
Suspiria_89 wrote:

Let the Right one in and Battle Royale. I like the Battle Royale movie much better than the book.

May I know where you got your Battle Royale book???

I didn't even know there was a BR book. The manga was way over the top, much gorier and more disturbing than the movie.

'NAZISPLOITATION: The Nazi Image in Low-Brow Cinema and Culture'.. (ed. by Magilow, Lugt and Bridges).

great book. highly recommend it.

Kissed by a clown and It. I bought Kissed by a clown because I heard an audio of the first chapter. The book has been a big let down. Then again the book is meant for kids but  I didn't know at the time. Atleast that's my story and I'm sticking to it. Had an alright beginning. A crazy looking dude in a clown suit takes a four year and asks him if he ever been kissed by a clown. Mom finds kids in time but clown gets away but not before telling kid see yah again some day. Turns out home-boy killed twenty kids tbat are never found. Guy turns himself in eventual. Guy dies and years later shows up at four year olds  new school years later. Sounds like a good start to a story. Guess I was wrong.

On to It I hope it lives up to the hype.

Last edited by mike3881 (2013-04-26 04:05:58)

Udo wrote:

'NAZISPLOITATION: The Nazi Image in Low-Brow Cinema and Culture'.. (ed. by Magilow, Lugt and Bridges).

great book. highly recommend it.

I have had my eye on that for a while.

I finally finished reading John Dies at the End. It was a damn enjoyable, rather strange, book. It's the story of two supernatural investigators (though they probably wouldn't call themselves that), David and John, how they ended up in that line of work. JDatE is separated into two segments, Book 1 and Book 2. Book 1 is an introduction to our heroes and how they got in the biz. At time it comes off a little amateurish or "try-hard", but the story works and can be damn funny at times, and honestly it's hard not to love Dave and John. By the second segment the author has come into his own style, he manages to keep the over the top zaniness of part 1, but adds more otherworldly horrific imagery (ala Lovecraft) and more character development. It's a fun ride, reading about John and David coping with the insanity that faces them. Overall an impressive first book.

Last edited by Theli (2013-04-29 18:03:29)

Four Screenplays, by Syd Field.

Got a couple of sweet books in the mail today:
I picked up Undead from John Russo, signed. It's the book based on Night of the Living Dead as well as the original book of Return of the Living Dead.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y265/Therionfan/booksandcomics011.jpg

Along with (much to Punk's dismay) a signed and numbered copy of William Peter Blatty's Exorcist.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y265/Therionfan/booksandcomics003.jpg

^^^
Hahahaha I don't care. I don't like it but that doesn't mean everybody has to feel the same way I do.

I started back the amazingly well written Black Dalhia by Ellroy and it's far more brutal than De Palma's movie. What a sicko that killer was, still unsolved til now. Poor girl. sad

Theli wrote:

Got a couple of sweet books in the mail today:
I picked up Undead from John Russo, signed. It's the book based on Night of the Living Dead as well as the original book of Return of the Living Dead.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y265/Therionfan/booksandcomics011.jpg

Along with (much to Punk's dismay) a signed and numbered copy of William Peter Blatty's Exorcist.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y265/Therionfan/booksandcomics003.jpg

I want that exorcist book.
Where did you find it?

I bought it from a bookseller who had to little of them to list on their website without overselling to quickly. So unfortunately you would be hardpressed to track them down without paying $300+

I just finished reading Jack Ketchum's Off Season. This was the first Ketchum novel I had read, and I must say I did enjoy it, though it was very disturbing at times. Off Season is a relentlessly dark ride, with many graphic descriptions of rape, dismemberment and cannibalism. More than just that though is the prevailing feeling of despair and dread for pretty much everyone involved. Off Season very convincing and disturbing first novel that pays some tribute to classic films like Night of Living Dead and The Hills Have Eyes.

My wife bought me Crystal Lake Memories: The Complete History of Friday the 13th back when it first came out and I adore it, I even consider it the closest thing to a bible for me (not religious reasons just an adored book that I treat as such) and I never really took the time to read it.  Going through it now makes me love the series even more, which I didn't even think was possible.

Just picked up some cheap paperbacks at the used bookstore.

James Herbert - The Fog
Robert Bloch - American Gothic
Deant Koontz - Demon Seed
Richard Laymon - Travelling Vampire Show

I'm thinking about reading The Fog next.

^^^
The Fog is such an amazing read. I love it.

THe books I ordered arrived yesterday.
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c305/marcymoon/64664050-63DB-4F29-B6BA-8F3F0FA57477-52731-000017963CA0B295_zps9ce94fc5.jpg

Very nice! I was planning on read The Exorcist right away, but decided to start The Fog first, and I want to read Joe Hill's nos4a2 as well. So many books so little time.

The Exorcist is such a wonderful book.  I miss back in the day when movies were so accurate to the source material.  Now it's just more of a

MoonRaven wrote:

THe books I ordered arrived yesterday.
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c305/marcymoon/64664050-63DB-4F29-B6BA-8F3F0FA57477-52731-000017963CA0B295_zps9ce94fc5.jpg

William peter Blatty is so under rated. i LOVE the three films that have been made from his work The Exorcist, Exorcist 3, and The Ninth Configuration ( a .k.a twinkle, twinkle Killer Kane) i know i keep on about that film, but so few people i know have seen it or even talk about it ( perhaps it's because they think it's crap) the only ones on here i know have seen it is Fred and Bill. if you are a facebook friend you'll know i have the whole film from youtube on my facebook page. you've got some good reading to look forward to there Marcia! smile