Topic: What the hell is jason?

I've been into the Friday the 13th Movies since iam 13 yrs. old.

And i've always asked myself, what is jason?

A zombie? A Phantom of Revenge? A Ghost?

Re: What the hell is jason?

He's a wizard, Harry.

Re: What the hell is jason?

Well, he's a zombie in part six that is for sure.

Re: What the hell is jason?

He was born out of child abuse via neglect by camp councillors as a result of his psychical deformity - turned into a supernatural , indestructible bogeyman driven by the very human emotion of vengeance.

Therefore, like many real and cinematic monsters he was, to a degree, born from his environment.

Last edited by Vasquez (2013-05-12 11:45:15)

Re: What the hell is jason?

A no remorse killer.

But what Vasquez says is the best definition.

Re: What the hell is jason?

This question could start a civil war in a zombie forum, or get you killed or worse.  For my two cents though.  Jason is NOT a zombie.

Re: What the hell is jason?

No, not a zombie at all IMO.  But then I'm a purist and have a very narrow definition of what constitutes a zombie: Namely, a person who has died, come back as a walking cadaver and eats human flesh. 

As far as Jason goes, he's a hydrocephalic, learning-disabled psychopathic hillbilly with an incredibly high threshold for pain who dies and is brought back to life with a Frankenstienian dose of electricity with all his pre-death mental faculties in place, only in a rotted -- though not continuously rotting -- body.

I believe the proper term for this is undead.

Re: What the hell is jason?

^^
But what about that bizzaro one where the doc eats his heart and it's like some kind of slug or disease.  What's up with that tangent?

Or was that Mike?  Can never keep them straight.

Last edited by azathoth (2013-05-12 13:30:19)

Re: What the hell is jason?

That was Jason, but I don't count it as canon. 

Yeesh.  I'm not even that big a fan of the series yet there I go, being a purist again... lol

Re: What the hell is jason?

Yeah, that was just weird.  Kind of like when the guy breaks Mike out of jail Part Whatever.  And is never heard from again.  Continuity is not a strong suite for the Big 3.

Re: What the hell is jason?

Though what Lon said is very true and he could be considered 'undead' and not a zombie, I'd still go with calling him a zombie (in part six, I have to note this, not him in any other movies).

Though the whole 'zombie' thing can be debated so heavily on what peoples own definitions of a zombie is. Many people see a zombie as person who was dead, and raises after death, to feast on humans.

But to others a zombie can just be a person who once lived, and then again walks the earth, but not feasting on humans.

Then you have the 28 Days/Weeks Later crowd, but I wouldn't call them zombies.

Re: What the hell is jason?

He's a very naughty boy!

Re: What the hell is jason?

Scavenger of Human Sorrow wrote:

Then you have the 28 Days/Weeks Later crowd, but I wouldn't call them zombies.

For me, to be considered a zombie, it has to meet two basic requirements:

1. The person has died and then returned to life as an animated corpse, and...

2. Upon reanimation, they feast on human flesh.

Sometimes they retain their human intelligence upon re-animation (Return of the Living Dead) and sometimes they don't (the classic Romero zombie). 

The 28 Days Later infected (as well as those in The Crazies 2010) don't qualify.  They're living human beings who are infected with a virus which erases rationality and comprehensive intelligence and leaves them raging, homicidal maniacs.  There is no death and re-animation involved, nor the feeding on of human flesh.

Undeads are merely re-animated corpses, no flesh-eating involved.  Sometimes they retain their intelligence (vampires, which, while they do drink blood, do so only to sustain their strength, not because of some compulsive, instinctive drive) and sometimes they don't (the test subjects in Re-Animator). 

BAM.  You just got zombie schooled.

Re: What the hell is jason?

The 'zombies' in I Walked With A Zombie' dont feed on human flesh though do they?

Re: What the hell is jason?

LoudLon wrote:
Scavenger of Human Sorrow wrote:

Then you have the 28 Days/Weeks Later crowd, but I wouldn't call them zombies.

For me, to be considered a zombie, it has to meet two basic requirements:

1. The person has died and then returned to life as an animated corpse, and...

2. Upon reanimation, they feast on human flesh.

Sometimes they retain their human intelligence upon re-animation (Return of the Living Dead) and sometimes they don't (the classic Romero zombie). 

The 28 Days Later infected (as well as those in The Crazies 2010) don't qualify.  They're living human beings who are infected with a virus which erases rationality and comprehensive intelligence and leaves them raging, homicidal maniacs.  There is no death and re-animation involved, nor the feeding on of human flesh.

Undeads are merely re-animated corpses, no flesh-eating involved.  Sometimes they retain their intelligence (vampires, which, while they do drink blood, do so only to sustain their strength, not because of some compulsive, instinctive drive) and sometimes they don't (the test subjects in Re-Animator). 

BAM.  You just got zombie schooled.

Thank you for the lesson Lon big_smile

Re: What the hell is jason?

I've always wondered what's the difference between Undeads and Ghouls. LoudLon/Encyclopedia do you know???

Re: What the hell is jason?

^^
Ghouls aren't undead.  They're more like mutated creatures, due to genetics (The Lurking Fear) or witchcraft/supernatural stuff.

Re: What the hell is jason?

Vas -- that was before Romero redefined the term and rewrote the rulebook.  wink

Punk -- ''ghoul'' is just a generic, umbrella term and can refer to any number of monster, creature, spectre, demon, etc. smile

Incidentally, this entire post was typed using my Xbox's virtual keboard, meaning I had to use my controller to enter every letter.  Takes forever but my visiting mother has fallen asleep at my computer and I don't have the heart to wake her up and kick her off. hmm

Re: What the hell is jason?

Yeah that's what I thought but wiki says different.

A ghoul is a (folkloric) monster associated with graveyards and consuming human flesh, often classified as undead.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghoul

Re: What the hell is jason?

I don't put much stock in wikipedia.  Anyone can enter info, and my experience is that the vast majority of the global population couldn't tell their asshole from a hole in the ground. hmm

Re: What the hell is jason?

Hahaha yeah. True, even I have an account there so some stuff might be very weird. lol
I prefer using the somethingwiki.com instead. But still go to Wikipedia for basic info, which they are godd at.

Now is Jason a Ghoul???

Re: What the hell is jason?

Scavenger of Human Sorrow wrote:

Though the whole 'zombie' thing can be debated so heavily on what peoples own definitions of a zombie is. Many people see a zombie as person who was dead, and raises after death, to feast on humans.

Even with that definition it would include Vampires as zombies. Jason is definitely undead, I won't go further than that though.

Punk, Ghouls eat corpses by definition, so I don't think he's a ghoul.

Re: What the hell is jason?

Well looks like my thoughts about him were correct. Thanks.
Now I'm 100% sure. big_smile

Last edited by kXnPunk (2013-05-12 19:41:11)

Re: What the hell is jason?

Vampires are a breed of undead, and their particular breed, in much the same way as a human being needs food, must drink blood to survive. 

Zombies, however, don't need to feed to survive; as only the primordial, core portion of their brains are re-animated, and as that portion contains the most basic of human instincts, they feed because they're instinctively compelled to, not because they must.

Oh, I'll split a hair.  big_smile

Re: What the hell is jason?

Good call, I also think a key attribute is the decomposition of the brain, though they may be semi-intelligible. Even the classic Romero zombie has some semblance of intelligence and memory.