Re: Anyone Seen Evil Dead 2013 Yet?

I thought it was fantastic. Loved the old school blood and gore, the demons were much more sinister and the entire film was much darker than the original; and honestly I didn't have a problem with the characters and I liked the reason they were at the cabin in the remake. That IMO really helped the film have a dark atmosphere (unlike the orginal) I also enjoyed NOT having any comic relief.

Absolutely nothing great about this movie.  Some people may like it. very few will say it was just phenomenal and the ones who do are the ones that like the gore that makes you cringe, instead of the gore that makes you smile.  It was a really poor mans cabin in the woods without the great acting from the two guys in the control room.  Had plenty of scares but as Loudlon said, the humor was lacking. I did like the scene where her head was in the ziplock bag but other than that, it lacked anything good that the original had.  As I said before, the original was a piece of art.

Last edited by ExplorerPOD (2013-04-10 11:50:35)

DirtyGirl wrote:

I think they always say a zinger at the end of an action scene to relieve the tension.  And that scene was pretty intense.

That's the term I was looking for. I don't like zingers unless they're used for sarcastic humour, which belongs in comedies or action flicks. In a movie that's supposed to be super-duper scary it doesn't just relieve the tension, it drains it completely. The enemy's defeat should be relief enough, I say.

I didn't find the scene to be intense to begin with, though I did like that (highlight for spoiler) it was raining blood the whole time. I kind of wished they had played Slayer's Rein in Blood over top of it, haha. I don't think it would have been too out of place at all.

Just saw it, and loved it.

I don't get the hate. To each his own, but actual hate? It seems like the hate come from either non-horror fans, or people just hating it for the sake of hating it cause it's a remake.

It stayed true, while giving it, it's own spin. Reason for being at the cabin, character arcs, and whatnot. Lots of nice little homages, be it lines like, "Does that seem FINE to you?", the rusted out Delta, pendant, Mia wearing the Michigan shirt... all of it worked for me.

One complaint that annoys the shit out of me, is when people go, "But it wasn't funny or campy like the original." Uhm, the original, when it came out, wasn't campy or spoofy. It was scary and crazy as shit. It may seem cheesy and tame now, but trust me, in the early 80s, it was all kinds of intense. This flick was pretty intense.

And all the "There's no Ash character" bitching. So? I get it, but if you want to take it in a new direction, you do just that. Take it in a new direction.

And, as a guy, if you couldn't enjoy staring at Jane Levy and Jessica Lucas, covered in gore and goo or not, there be something wrong with you... or you're gay, which is just fine, cause then you've got, uhm, those 2 guys in it. smile

Overall, I totally loved it. Complete blast... peanut gallery aside. Fuck I hate seeing horror at the theaters. Why do people who clearly don't like horror (the chatty Cathy, laughing at everything douchebags), go see horror at the theater? Asshats.

Last edited by Zed_Chuva (2013-04-10 23:18:07)

Can't speak for anyone else but my hate stems from the fact that I think it's a bad film, plain and simple.  And the original, while intense, was also FUN.  You felt Raimi's love for the material and the joy of the process of filmmaking in every frame of the original.  I didn't feel any of that in this remake, and as I mentioned above in my first comment about this film, those are what made the original so memorable.  If you're not even going to TRY to out-do the original, what the hell is the point of remaking it?

You loved it: awesome.  I didn't.  Personally I think it takes more than gore and a couple cute girls to make a good horror movie.  Much the same as it takes a lot more than disagreeing with you to make someone gay. wink

I do agree with you about the last thing, though.  When I go to the cinema, I'm paying to watch a movie, not listen to a bunch of inconsiderate shitbirds talking over it.

I saw it opening night and really liked it. I'm a long-time fan of the original trilogy and I was very pleased with the remake.

LoudLon wrote:

Personally I think it takes more than gore and a couple cute girls to make a good horror movie.

Well NOT me. lol
That's why I love stuff like Spirit Camp and Girls Gone Dead which are sitting well in my top list.

NonEuclidean wrote:
DirtyGirl wrote:

I think they always say a zinger at the end of an action scene to relieve the tension.  And that scene was pretty intense.

That's the term I was looking for. I don't like zingers unless they're used for sarcastic humour, which belongs in comedies or action flicks. In a movie that's supposed to be super-duper scary it doesn't just relieve the tension, it drains it completely. The enemy's defeat should be relief enough, I say.

I didn't find the scene to be intense to begin with, though I did like that (highlight for spoiler) it was raining blood the whole time. I kind of wished they had played Slayer's Rein in Blood over top of it, haha. I don't think it would have been too out of place at all.

haha...I had Slayer running through my head also.  But I don't mind the zingers, it gives the movie a little personality.  Over all the dialogue was just really bad in general.  Am I wrong?  The banter between the 5 characters was really lacking.  Considering they had some good writers on board (Diablo Cody) I am wondering what happened?  The missed opportunity to build characters was at the beginning of the film.  We just didn't get a good idea of who these people were...  But that was my only real complaint with it.  I enjoyed the over the top gore and I am hoping we get some better remakes now that this one upped the ante on the blood and guts.

Woah... wait... did  you put "Good writers" and "Diablo Cody" in the same sentence?

Yea, at the end, as soon as the skies opened up, I SO had Slayer in my head. Plus the opening shot of the Jeep driving down the road, I was singing, "Cabin in the woods, whoo. Cabin in the woods, yeah. We're five college students on our way to an old abandoned cabin in the woods! Oh yea!" from Evil Dead the Musical.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIlfjXrR0u4

Overall I give the flick a solid 8.5/10. Like said, some of the dialogue was flat and the pacing was disjointed at times.

Saw it. Didn't love it, didn't hate it. Another mediocre reboot. The goal of a remake or reboot is to make mainstream money. Studios use name recognition to drum up hype, then employ mediocre filmmakers, unrealistically attractive players (really just fashion models), and music video cinematography to appeal to the masses. And it works. According to IMDB, the new ED earned around thirty million bucks so far, while Army of Darkness made around twelve million - a million less than it cost to make the poor thing. Pleasing a handful of nostalgic horror fans doesn't pay the bills. Take the movie Primer for example, one of the spookiest and most original scifi flicks in years - it only made four hundred grand.

Last edited by PostGhost (2013-04-12 01:36:21)

^PG, if you liked Primer, check out Phasma ex Machina aka Ghost from the Machine (2010).  It is another low budget indie in the vein of Primer.

Thanks alien25. I also want to see Primer writer/director Shane Carruth's current feature, Upstream Color, which is receiving favorable reviews.

I saw it--thought it was okay. My immediate thoughts following it were, "Don't know the FX guy, but that's pretty impressive gore", "some bad acting", "Not offensively bad like the NOES remake", but still a bit unnecessary.

BUT...if its success leads to Bruce getting back into his Ash costume, I'm all for it.

Damn my crappy hole of a place. Very few Horror ones this summer.
Suckage. hmm
http://www.cibm107.com/cinema/a_venir.htm

I rated it very highly 'cause I thought it was a blast - more of a rating due to entertainment. Especially for a remake. As I've said before, I understand that it isn't for everyone and I can kind of see the different views on it. But I'll look highly upon it and doubt that view will change.

Oh YESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESSSsss!!!!
They decided to finally show it for a week only so wednesday I'm sitting in the theater watching it. I'm so damn happy about this. My place isn't the hole I thought it was. big_smile

I'm working on it.

Yeah ive seen it & i hated it for everything it was worth, Even the over the top gore could not save this from being just another shity remake...

LoudLon wrote:

Can't speak for anyone else but my hate stems from the fact that I think it's a bad film, plain and simple.  And the original, while intense, was also FUN.  You felt Raimi's love for the material and the joy of the process of filmmaking in every frame of the original.  I didn't feel any of that in this remake, and as I mentioned above in my first comment about this film, those are what made the original so memorable.  If you're not even going to TRY to out-do the original, what the hell is the point of remaking it?

I don't see remakes as being obligated to out-do the original.. For instance I don't think that is what Herzog was trying to do when he remade Nosferatu.. Instead, they are supposed to stand as reinterpretations, using a sense of homage (in its content and aesthetics) to create new meaning structures out of the source material.. That, is all.

I feel your criticism is based more on vague feelings of dedication to the original than any justified theoretical conclusions.

As far as comparing it to the original, I would say that it was disappointing to see evil dead shift from a raw independent aesthetic to a glossy Hollywood aesthetic. It affects the political and cultural implications of the film. and it reveals how even the greatest counter-cultural artifacts can eventually get reabsorbed back into the system. I guess people can understand this as a victory for periphery ideologies, in how their vehicles become so powerful that they themselves can penetrate the discourses of mainstream hegemony. I can accept this, but I usually don't enjoy actually watching horror remakes due to this lost sense of subversion.

However, If I was going to assess the film without comparing it to the original (or over-thinking it), I would say it was pretty entertaining and technically competent.

baha!

Anyone hear about the people making this film trying to merge the original with the remake somehow.