Topic: Xbox 360: for Those of You Having Problems Streaming mp4s from your PC

I'm a bit slower than most when it comes to computer/tech stuff so I'm sure most folks who have this problem have already figured it out, but if you haven't, I found a VERY simple way to convert mp4s so that Xbox 360 will play them.  It's all about changing the file's audio output.

Download a program called Youtube Ripper (don't worry, it's free).  Once you've installed it, open and select the "convert" tab.

Find the mp4 video file you wish to convert.

Under "convert to", select "manual conversion" and press the red "convert video" button.

A new window will pop up.  On the bottom line, at the very end, you'll see the following:

-ac 1 %2.mp4

Change this to:

-ac 2.mp4

Hit your "enter" key.   A command prompt window will pop up.  Hit your "enter" key again.

Bam.  Done.  You've just changed the audio output to stereo, and your Xbox 360 can now play the mp4 video file.  I discovered this a few days ago and have already converted well over a hundred mp4 video files, and they now play perfectly on my Xbox 360.

smile

Re: Xbox 360: for Those of You Having Problems Streaming mp4s from your PC

This coming from the man who couldn't figure out how to plug his headset in correctly.  Monkey is impressed.

http://cdn.mdjunction.com/components/com_joomlaboard/uploaded/images/LaughingCatAnimated-afa730966fceb98336d3bc4f760efc0f.gif

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v93/loudlon/Animated/Cageslapped.gif

big_smile

^^
You trying to Wickerize me?  Bring it on!

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view7/3610395/monkey-slap-o.gif

big_smile

There's a whole bunch of these useful converters out there. When I go to my friend's I use them to grab some stuff that I can bring home to watch on my incredible but old machine.

Seems like the XBox 360 as changed a lot since the one I had, mine could play absolutely ANYTHING without having to do like you did.
Regression not eveolution if you ask me.

And azathoth the last one is wild. big_smile

^^
Everyone is locking down their console with DRM now.  At one point you could install Linux on the Playstation 2/3, then Sony knocked that out with a software upgrade.  Not to mention the games that have to be online to play even in single-player mode now.  Incredibly dense these companies are.  They made Apple DRM their songs on iTunes at first, but when Apple finally talked them out of it, sales quadrupled or so.

Pirates will always pirate.  You just piss off your normal customers with this shiite.  And like I'm going to actually buy a copy of The Nose Picker anytime, ever.

^^^
Yeah that's what I had on my old XBox, it was mod with Linux.
And I read about that DRM stuff and iTunes somewhere. It just sucks for anybody, not even pirates that I am sometimes. Who the H3LL isn't anyways.

I just change the extension from .mp4 to .avi. Much simpler process. Never had a problem doing that.

I just make sure that when I download movies, they're already in .avi, then I just throw on a flash drive and watch on xbox no problem (I hate streaming from laptop to xbox).  I firmly believe though that pirates are why game prices are so high (although they've been 60 bucks since the mid 90s).  I see Sony doing well and now Microsoft following putting games on digital on demand.  THat's almost exclusively how I buy xbox and ps3 games now.  Saves them from pressing a certain amount of copies, saves trips to the store and is one less used game to hurt the actual game sales.