Topic: Anyone know any films that are terrifying?

Hi im max im new here.

im just wondering if anyone knows any films that are actually terrifying?

me and my mates have been watching films to try and find one that actually scares us but the only thing that does is playing the new slender game.

any recommendations?

cheers

Re: Anyone know any films that are terrifying?

There are at least 15,000 horror movies, lol.  I'm sure you'll find something that scares you.  Everyone is scared by something different.  What have you seen that doesn't scare you?

How about ALL OF THEM??? lol

Blair Witch Project and Grave Encounter are the ones that scared me the most.

I feel anyone who asks this question doesn't really want an answer.  Asking horror fans if we know any scary movies insults our intelligence.

Yeah really...

"insults our intelligence" Im just trying to find films that are genuinely terrifying.
grave encounters had its moments so did V/H/S
didnt really find sinister scary, possession had its moments, the exorcist is good but didnt frighten me really. i love zombie films but they dont scare me apart from quarantine (havnt seen rec yet)

i do realise there are a lot of films i havnt seen i was only asking your opinions.

I think the films that frighten me the most are possession films and paranormal films

Quarantine is such a piece of crap compared to REC but it's my very personal opinion.

Old school movies tend to scare me more than recent ones aside a few like those I said. I hadn't been scared as much than with Horror Hotel before I saw Blair Witch. Evil Dead [the 2 versions] as some scary moments but not as much as old school stuff.

Guess the black & white does it more than color, I don't know but they've got creepier atmosphere most of the time.

Last edited by kXnPunk (2013-05-14 07:10:02)

Check out The Last Exorcism, The Haunting in Connecticut and The Amityville Horror remake from 2005.

Hmm...scary huh?  It all depends on what you find scary.  Make sure to set up the right atmosphere too...start with a dark room and candles then add a movie with lots of suspense.  Suspenseful movies are the best.  you have to lose yourself in the story to truly be scared.  Gory movies usually aren't scary at all.  Try these ones out:

REC
The Descent
Ghost movies like The Changling and The Haunting ( orig) are suspenseful too.

OMG yes The Descent.  Claustrophobia at its worse!

yeah iv seen the decent that shit me up a bit. Ill check he others out cheers guys. any one seen the orphanage, the devil inside, session 9 are they the right direction for a good scare?

Last edited by baconxpancakes (2013-05-14 07:58:20)

The Orphanage is my second favorite horror movie of all time.  You have to watch it in the right setting.  People don't like Spanish movies so they write it off.  Gotta watch it alone, at night and with all the lights off to fully enjoy the creepiness of it

^^^
OH YES!!! Definitely creepy as mad.
Another one that is quite similar is the french St-Ange, House Of Voices in english. One of my favorite from France along with the great High Tension. Which is pretty creepy too.

baconxpancakes wrote:

yeah iv seen the decent that shit me up a bit. Ill check he others out cheers guys. any one seen the orphanage, the devil inside, session 9 are they the right direction for a good scare?

All of those are good choices.  smile

REC - like Punk said, far superior to the American remake
REC2
Cold Prey
Cold Prey 2
Paranormal Activity
Apartment 143
Livid
Inside
Isolation
El Paramo
Lovely Molly
Citadel
Entity
Dark Skies

I will also agree on the Descent. That movie had me squirming when viewed in theatres. The original Last House on the Left also left me with an uneasy feeling.

yeah me and my ex girlfriend tried to watch the remake of the last house on the left but she didnt like the opening rape scene so made me turn it off. ill have to give the original a go tho

You want uneasy feelings, watch Martyrs and Jack Ketchum's The Girl Next Door....and Mum & Dad

baconxpancakes wrote:

yeah me and my ex girlfriend tried to watch the remake of the last house on the left but she didnt like the opening rape scene so made me turn it off. ill have to give the original a go tho

The original is far worse.  Check out I Spit On Your Grave also.

I Spit On Your Grave is disturbing, yes, but not scary in anyway. It's too much exploitation without the terror. At least too me. There's just no substance. At least in Last House on the Left you actually like the main characters, which makes it a much more impactful movie IMO.

Still haven't seen the remake of I Spit on Your Grave, I've heard it's better though.

Last edited by Theli (2013-05-15 13:13:18)

paranormal activity 4 big_smile kidding

Shutter made me jump no end.

DirtyGirl wrote:
baconxpancakes wrote:

The original is far worse.  Check out I Spit On Your Grave also.

I definitely agree. The remake is much better, Sara Paxton is incredible.
And yes I Spit On A Grave the 2010 remake is also great. Not necessarily scary but very disturbing. Much better than the first one.

You really gotta watch it Theli.

Last edited by kXnPunk (2013-05-15 15:17:44)

The Sound of Music.  Those kids always freak me out.

The one of me getting into the shower. lol

It seems to me that the  best place to start is to look for movies that connect with your real life fears(Claustrophobic?Watch movies that focus that take place in tight places such as The Descent).