Topic: Horror movies based on modern literature

I had made a thread about horror movies based on classic literature, now I'd like to focus more on books or literarature written from the 1960's until today. I personally find literature to be the best inspiration for film.

I'm sure there will be a lot of Stephen King (being the most prolific horror writer of the last 50 years), but I'll throw The Shining out there. Everyone loves this movie, except King himself. To me, while dealing with the same subject matter, the book and movie are to completely separate entities. Kubrick's film is a visual masterpiece dripping with foreboding and dread. King's book is a suspenseful and creepy analysis of a family in an unenviable situation. Neither is better than the other and both are great.

A more modern movie would be Let the Right One In/Let Me In. The movie itself is a dark, creepy, but moving story of young girl who is cursed with vampirism, and her relationship with another young boy. The mirror image of her new friend and old caretaker is both disturbing and tragic. I haven't read the book so I can't compare but I loved Let the Right One In (haven't seen Let Me In).

Re: Horror movies based on modern literature

Interview With The Vampire.
The Haunting
Ghost Story
The Woman In Black

Last edited by wolfman1959 (2013-05-20 14:23:01)

Who wrote Ghost Story and The Woman In Black?

Theli wrote:

Who wrote Ghost Story and The Woman In Black?

Peter Straub wrote Ghost Story and Susan Hill wrote the woman in black.

I'm throwing Carrie out there cause I loved both the book and movie big_smile

John dies at the end by David Wong

Last edited by DirtyGirl (2013-05-20 15:42:24)

War of the Worlds is a favorite of mine. big_smile

I really like the film adaptions of Clive Barkers Candyman, Midnight Meat Train and Dread.

DirtyGirl wrote:

Still need to see this movie. Loved the book. When is the DVD being released?

Vasquez wrote:

I really like the film adaptions of Clive Barkers Candyman, Midnight Meat Train and Dread.

I've never seen Dread, any good? The Book of the Dead was another good Barker adaptation. Haven't read his works yet.

Theli wrote:
DirtyGirl wrote:

Still need to see this movie. Loved the book. When is the DVD being released?

Vasquez wrote:

I've never seen Dread, any good? The Book of the Dead was another good Barker adaptation. Haven't read his works yet.

Personally I thought it was VERY good. A 10/10 for sure.