Topic: movies you hated but now love

hope there not thread of this allready.

what movies have you hated in the past, but have come round to be favorite movies.

eraserhead i hated first couple times,but more i watched it the more i loved it.
tetsuo ironman, reminded me a little like eraserhead, but i hated this movie for a long time but became a personal fave of mine in the end.

love to hear some of yours cheers.

Re: movies you hated but now love

The originals of The Hills Have Eyes, The Last House on the Left and I Spit on Your Grave....more recent movies would be The Descent.  I rented and bought that movie literally 6 times when it first came out before I finally convinced myself to sit all the way through it (the tight spaces bothered me).  Once I got through I loved the movie and speak nothing but highly about it now.

What happens to me is that I wouldn't really hate a movie but would just feel it was average and then I would wach it again and love it. Examples would include

The Evil Dead (1981)
Martyrs
Black Sunday

I did hate Phantasm when I watched it - no idea why it is held so high as a cult film - but you never know I might love it if I watch it again.

There isn't many of those for me, generally when I hate a movie it stays that way.

Good question by the way plan 9.

Sleepy Hollow, I can't believe it took me 3 watches to finally see the enormous fantasticness of this one. And I have truely no damn idea why I didn't before.

Phantasm rules!

LOL I finally remembered my password.Anyway on to the subject and it's weird that it's OldLaughingLady pic,but I used to hate Halloween mainly because I have never liked Jamie Lee Curtis she has just always bugged me for whatever reason.About 6 months ago I found the movie in a pawn shop and said screw it and bought it and ya like everyone says the movie kicks ass.

Last edited by KillerClown (2013-05-15 18:26:59)

I saw Phantasm II first, and never really liked #1.  It got better after a few re-views.  I'd go with the remake of Night of the Demons.  I went in with expectations, and was disappointed.  Then I went back with fresh eyes and enjoyed it much more.  And Zombie Lake took me 4 tries to finish it.  Now I love it.

Have you ever wondered why it happens???
Give your brain quite a spin lemme tell you.

Why?  In the case of NotD and Zombie Lake, it was expectations.  I was expecting P1 to be something more like P2, I guess.

KillerClown wrote:

LOL I finally remembered my password.Anyway on to the subject and it's weird that it's OldLaughingLady pic,but I used to hate Halloween mainly because I have never liked Jamie Lee Curtis she has just always bugged me for whatever reason.About 6 months ago I found the movie in a pawn shop and said screw it and bought it and ya like everyone says the movie kicks ass.

Try watching Halloween looking at the product not the behind the scenes of who is in it.  You have a horror movie that set so many bars for films made even today with its minimal violence shown on camera, the claustrophobic shooting style and the overwhelming feeling that nowhere is safe.

OldLaughingLady wrote:
KillerClown wrote:

Try watching Halloween looking at the product not the behind the scenes of who is in it.  You have a horror movie that set so many bars for films made even today with its minimal violence shown on camera, the claustrophobic shooting style and the overwhelming feeling that nowhere is safe.

I would argue that Black Christmas (1974) did all that and more 5 years earlier, and better - i.e

we never see the killer, just his very creepy voice

lol never thought i'd hear that sentence...ever.  To each his own, I guess.

the original texas chainsaw movie. The first time i watched this movie i felt cheated, the adverts showed us its going to be bloody and gory, suposed to be a true story, pissed me of so hated it as soon as i watched it but now i put all that aside i liked it alot more now.

Vasquez wrote:

I would argue that Black Christmas (1974) did all that and more 5 years earlier, and better - i.e

Black Christmas had a different tone/idea about it, though.  I'd almost say it was bordering on giallo grounds rather than slasher.

But dear poop on a stick, did the remake suck like a vacuum.

azathoth wrote:
Vasquez wrote:

Black Christmas had a different tone/idea about it, though.  I'd almost say it was bordering on giallo grounds rather than slasher.

But dear poop on a stick, did the remake suck like a vacuum.

most def, the remake not a patch on original it was all over the place.

I hate The Last House on the Left movie i past but now i love it a lot...Have hate a lot of movies but some movie i love which i have hate in past!!

Good question, but I'm struggling to think of any examples. I can think of movies that aren't horror that I've came back to and really enjoyed.

Most often it'll be the opposite - I watch a movie again and don't enjoy it nearly as much as I did before. But this is quite rare; my opinion doesn't change drastically. I hated Scream 4 but after re-watching it recently I thought it was just okay, not terrible.

There are a couple of movies I'm looking to watch again to see if my opinion improves e.g. Black Christmas (1974) which I wasn't sold on initially.

No...usually if I hate them there is a good reason.  They tend to be those newer low budget movies that are on Netflix all the time.  The last few bad ones were The Conjurer, The Vanishing on 7th Street, 11-11-11, The Wicker Tree.

Kill List.

First time I watched it I actually drifted off a few times and had to skip back scenes. I was so annoyed at it I was pretty harsh about it on a review. A few friends of mine on another horror group persuaded me to give it another go, that it sometimes took a second watch to appreciate. So I did. And I'm glad! 2nd time round I concentrated more and noticed the subtle hints, the foreboding atmosphere and that sickly feeling in my gut that things weren't quite right. I enjoyed it a lot more and changed my rating of it to around 7-8 instead of the 3 i originally gave it. Just bought it on dvd actually big_smile

*blushes* Prom Night redux. There's absolutely no redeeming qualities about this film. You can tell the filmmaker(s) were lapdogs of the studios and made a product aimed at the tweenage crowd. I then found myself watching it more and more despite my grievance about this film. I wouldn't say I love this movie, but it grew heavily on me.

I have very discriminating tastes so 99.9% of the time if I don't like a movie first time around I never will but there is one film which leaps to mind and that one film is 'Evil Clutch'. I had it on video for maybe eight years and never watched it, lost it, then downloaded it and, again watched half of it and fell asleep until one day, for reasons unknown I gave it my full attention and it was an absolute blast.

Halloween

My excuse is that I was just a dumb kid. But really, I should be (and am) ashamed of myself... I always just thought it was boring and there wasn't enough gore... But yeah, subtlety is harder to pull off, and I can appreciate that now...

Hellraiser 1.

Used to hate it but now I like it. big_smile