Topic: Maniac (2013)

Anyone else seen this yet,  I saw it few days ago

I been looking forward too remake if more then
Evil Dead remake this year, It only been about 6 or 7 week since I saw
Maniac (1980) I thought it was very decent gory movie.

This stay really true to the Original movie, this time tried to make a
lot dark with the whole POV angle was not bad at all, it could of be
better, It gave some really intense scenes for the first half of the movie as the
movie yet I did get a bit bored of POV.

The acting was better then I thought it be, I thought Elijah Wood Great
Job playing Psychos, he was very believe-able and creepy in this movie,

yet I do think it was to young to play this role, he still did great
Job but still not as good as Late Joe Spinell who a lot more psycho better.

I was little disappointed with the gore-wise in this movie, not much
until near the ending scenes of the movie, which I thought decent but
again not as gory as Original or as fun.

I liked how they gave bit of a back story in flash back, in way it's make sense
why he was doing what he is doing.

I going to give this movie 8 out of 10 , 

For me this best horror movie of year so far at a Great remake too,

Last edited by BASSI (2013-04-30 16:22:40)

Re: Maniac (2013)

Oh cool. I wanna see it as I loved the first one a lot.
And man, Elijah can be very creepy, Sin City anyone??? He was more than badass in it.

Yeah, I thought EW was really good in Sin City.  His first time playing that kind of character and while he didn't get a whole lot of screen time, he left a strong impression.

DL'ed Maniac a couple days ago but haven't gotten around to watching it yet.  Probably this weekend.

I watched it this last week and thought that it was just okay.  It is brutal, but not nearly as gorey as the original.  EW is definitely good in it though.  But after awhile, the POV and EW's distant voice annoyed me.  There is a pretty cool homage to the original that comes via a reflection on the side of a car.

I loved it, thought it was a near perfect slasher. I agree that the original is more fun, but only because of the cheesiness of the over the top gore. The remake was more realistic, but still managed to be brutal and featured some awesome special effects.

I liked it for the most part. I can't recall exactly but I think in the original the killer was abused as well as having a negligent whoring mother? In the remake his mom was just a negligent whore and that's why he's killing people? Seemed kind of an extreme response to me... but then the guy was crazy. Whatever, it was still a good movie. I thought Elija Wood did a fair job at playing an extremely tortured soul. Oddly, I felt for him.

Elijah Wood really is good in almost any role I've seen him in.  Huck Finn, Back to the Future, LOTR, Everything's Illuminated, Flipper, etc...and this just proves he's a well rounded actor.  Can't wait to own this one

Maniac was pretty much the best horror remake this century IMO...

Wow that good Udo? I'm looking forward to it, EW has never disappointed me. I don't understand why people were so doubtful tbh.

yeah it just really expanded on the original idea, instead of just pillaging the title and content for something more consumer friendly.. The music was reminiscent of the original. it had a sense of humor about itself that wasn't over the top.. It was shot really creatively. and it made New York look great. The setting is something I always loved about the original. and somehow they managed to capture that same kind of feeling from the city, despite it being 30 years later..

yeah it's on par with the original for me.. Joe Spinell is of course the classic Maniac. but nevertheless, good work Elijah Wood.

Well I will definitely go out of my way for that one then! I had a feeling it could either be epically brilliant or terribly wrong.

got be better than the original, which i think is so overrated, i like the head blowing up from shotgun but that was all it had going for me, the rest of the movie was so boring,so hopefuly this could be a big improvement.