Topic: Downer Endings (general spoiler warning)

Having just watched Der Todesking and Nekromantik back to back I've been thinking of movies with big downer/no redemption/everybody dies kinda endings.
To me they're more satisfying sometimes. 
The Devils Rejects would suck if they escaped... But the Mist left me depressed and unhappy. (That bitch Carmody was right the whole time!)
I've also heard they're remaking Martyrs with a happier Americanized ending.
So... What're your favorite downer endings?
Let spoilers fly, if you don't wanna know, don't read em!

Re: Downer Endings (general spoiler warning)

Well certainly The Mist is the biggest downer ending, but most Horror does end with every one dying.  There are too many to list really.  Some of the best movies are the ones that leave me feeling very sad at the end like The Girl Next Door or Inside.

I love the brutal and realistic ending to Eden Lake myself.

I really couldn't see a convincingly happy ending happening for that one.

everyone knows or should know that i'm a miserable old git and i much prefer the "Downer"endings, more realistic. it's true most horror films from the end of the 1950's / early 60's don't have too many " happy endings" as the last scenes more times than not show the threat beaten but indications are there that it could come back.

^^
Gotta leave room for that sequel!!

Martyrs and Inside.

None horror goes to Dead Man's Shoes.

I hate a death scene that doesn't make sense ala Jason. The guy is behind you and walking  but somehow appears infront of you. What does the guy have teleporting powers.

Eden Lake, Inside for sure.

Eden Lake. That was definitely a downer ending.

King Kong

^^^
Oh so true. I was sad when he falls down. I loved the big guy in all of them. Naomi Watts' one especially.

Last edited by kXnPunk (2013-05-27 20:55:35)

How no one thought of opening up a resort on the island instead of "hey lets bring a giant ape to the city."

I guess the giant bugs and dinosaurs would of scared the visitors too much.

The natives made it work why couldn't the city people do it. They had better weapons. Think of all the super rich people who would of went just to hunt big game.

Yeah very true. Even better with a Gatling Gun. big_smile

Night of the Living Dead and The Thing '82 are probably my two most favorite nihilistic endings.  But I also give a nod to The Mist.  I LOVED the ending.

downer endings are good.

The Mist made me so mad. The last line in the story is "Hope."
The movie had none. (Of course, the story is an all time fave, so I didn't like the movie much at all)

The Girl Next Door has the most depressing ending I've ever seen. Followed by Eden Lake and Martyrs.

I hate to say this, but I happen to like downer/bad endings where the evil bad guy wins by escaping off screen or  grabbing the hero/ gal hero.

Phantasm
Phantasm II
Hellraiser II - half good half bad ending
Hellraiser VI Hellseeker -Kirsty kind of turns evilish sendin her crooked fiance to hell
Critters 2- ending shows that there's still some Kryte eggs still intact

I love the bad endings where the hero can save the day as usual.

I prefer evil winnng at least once in awhle. Can't defeat evil yada yada.  Even Freddy Krueger says he's eternal

High Tension

Hiper cube the agent completes her assignment only to get killed at end by company that sent her in.

Also these movies with bad downer endings

Halloweeen III
Halloween IV
Haloween V
Halloween VI - also the producer's cut ending  counts
Halloween Ressurection - depends on  the theatrical ending or one of the deleted scene endings on the DVD.

Friday the 13th Part 5 - Tommy  wakes up, goes loony and maybe kills that one older gal who was runnin the troubled kids home.  Dunno where the hell the knife ended up in the dresser drawer in Tommy's hospial room though lol

Black Christmas (1974) has a equally awesome creepy and nihilistic ending in my opinion.

Not sure if it counts but remember those crazy kids that survive freddy vs jason ? Well they do a follow-up to them in a graphic novel.......lets just say it didn't end well for them.