Re: movies you hated but now love

azathoth wrote:
Vasquez wrote:

I would argue that Black Christmas (1974) did all that and more 5 years earlier, and better - i.e

Black Christmas had a different tone/idea about it, though.  I'd almost say it was bordering on giallo grounds rather than slasher.

But dear poop on a stick, did the remake suck like a vacuum.

What I mean is that I think Black Christmas - perhaps arguably, it is more like a giallo. Though I would disagree on this. Because I thought Giallo's usually have a fair amount of blood in them e.g Tenebrae and are quite stylishly violent in this way.

Anyway, as I say I mean I think Black Christmas supersedes Halloween in creating a tremendous and heightened atmosphere through minimal violence and its shooting style. I mean SPOLIER - we never ever actually see the killer just hear his voice. The fact that he is the loft the while time - and is still there till the credits roll - makes it very claustrophobic aswell.

Last edited by Vasquez (2013-06-05 16:14:20)

Napoleon Dynamite - one of those films you have to re-watch to get it.

JessChan wrote:

Napoleon Dynamite - one of those films you have to re-watch to get it.

thats one i hated too jess, but ended up growing on me more i watched it.

I hated the original Halloween as well, now I watch it every Halloween cool

Well theres two main films, the first being Rob Zombie's Halloween 2 and the second being Evil Dead 2: Dead By Dawn. When I first saw Zombie's H2 I was terribly mad how different it was from the original and the way Scout Taylor-Compton portrayed Laurie and even how Rob wrote her character in the film and a number of other things. Well after repeated viewings I started to really appreciate Rob's unique vision of the concept and now I know I'm in the minority here, but I really like the film alot now.

As for Evil Dead 2: Dead By Dawn I guess I just wasn't ready for it being an over the top horror comedy with splatstick. Again after repeated viewings I really started to get the type of humour and warm up to it and now it's actually my favorite Evil Dead film.

Last edited by AClockworkOrange71 (2013-06-05 16:00:55)

Hellraiser and Hellraiser 2, but over the years I've grown to love them both. Especially part 2.

Suspiria_89 wrote:

Hellraiser and Hellraiser 2, but over the years I've grown to love them both. Especially part 2.

I loved Hellraiser the first time i saw it but when I watched Hellraiser 2 I really didn't like how it developed. I really liked the subtle, if you can call it subtle and atmospheric use of the grotesque imagery in Hellraiser 1 but in 2 I felt that the story was all over the place and they took the imagery too far and it became almost cartoonish and ridiculous.

^ The completely bizarre story and settings (not to mention some awesome special fx) are exactly what I love about part 2. But I can def. see how someone could dislike it. Like I said, it took several viewings before I really liked it.

Honestly can't think of any. Might be some "hated it initially, then hated it slightly less on second viewing", but, yea, can't think of any. I have WAY more the other way. Watching a flick first time, thinking, "This is really good." Then on second viewing you think, "Eh, it's not that good." Watch it again and go, "Eh... this is pretty shit." Even those I can't think of off the top of my head.

After thinking about it for a while, I'd say Chernobyl Diaries. I don't 'love' the film like the title suggests, but I don't hate it like I did initially.