Topic: Is it World War Zee or World War Zed? (Re: World War Z)

Phonetically speaking, I'm from the UK so we always pronounce a 'Z' like this:

'Zed'.

But in America it's pronounced 'Zee'.

But already the film critics in the UK are calling this movie World War Zee. Hmm...

Last edited by Master Horror (2013-06-03 02:36:11)

Re: Is it World War Zee or World War Zed? (Re: World War Z)

It's pronounced zed in Canada too.  But it sounds silly to say World War Zed...lol

Been saying zed all my life that's how we do it in french.

DirtyGirl, what a surprise, didn't know you were saying it that way too. Cool.
Lived in TNT for 8 months but it doesn't happen often you use only a zed in a conversation really. lol

But yeah, World War Zed sounds strange indeed.

Zed's dead baby, Zed's dead. wink

In the US, it's "zee."

In Canada, the UK, Australia and (I think) New Zealand, it's "zed."

And this is a point of constant amusement for me.  I'd never heard of using "zed" for the letter "z" until I moved to Canada back in late '00, and the first time I heard my ex use it I was like "The fuck is a 'zed'?"  But now every time I hear it I think of Shaun of the Dead.  "We're not using the 'zed' word!"
lol

Cap Howdy wrote:

Zed's dead baby, Zed's dead. wink

MWAHAHAHA

LoudLon wrote:

But now every time I hear it I think of Shaun of the Dead.  "We're not using the 'zed' word!"
lol

MWAHAHAHA

I sometimes switch between saying Zed and Zee, for whatever reason, but World War Z has always been a Zed for me. World War Zee sounds ridiculous. Too much like World War WHEEEEEEE, which is sadly what it looks like they were going for.

It's World War Zee. It was written by an american, and the movie is american, and it's clearly supposed to be a play on world war three. But yeah, why zee? You Americans on the board please fill me in, why a different pronunciation than everyone else?

I'm sure it's because they're all a bunch of Zee-lots. lol

Wow, hahaha big_smile

Ha ha, great responses. I love it. big_smile big_smile

I actually seriously impressed my older sister, who is far more intelligent than I am (if you can imagine that big_smile ) when we watched Shaun of the Dead for the first time.  That part was he says "zed word" my sister was like, "What did he just say?  I thought he said 'dead word' but that sounded more like a 'z.'"  At which point I marveled her with my knowledge that he'd said "zed," and that "zed" meant "z." 

So as it turns out, I did learn a thing or two while living in Canada.   But then I also learned that Christmas is the same day around the globe while I was up there.  Kind of a funny story, but I don't want to sidetrack too much here. lol

definitely Zed, and i have such a bad feeling that this film is going to be awful, which is really sad for me because i was really looking forward to it sad

It's "zee". Coming from a Canadian, who has a "Z" in his name (real name too), it's "zee", not "zed". I get the whole "zed" thing. "Zee" is close to "See", so "zed" breaks it up, but screw that. It's stupid.

The horse with stripes is called "ZEEE BRA" not a "ZEH BRA", ya dumb Brits. wink

Last edited by Zed_Chuva (2013-06-05 10:06:25)

I always pronounced it 'World War Zee' and this is coming from a European.

Zed_Chuva wrote:

The horse with stripes is called "ZEEE BRA" not a "ZEH BRA", ya dumb Brits. wink

Bollocks! lol

wolfman1959 wrote:

definitely Zed, and i have such a bad feeling that this film is going to be awful, which is really sad for me because i was really looking forward to it sad

I have a feeling you're right. Brad Pitt may be a pretty boy but he's never impressed me ever with his acting.

I just find him so dull, and I suspect this new movie is going to be a total self-indulgent mess. I could be wrong though.

LoudLon wrote:

I actually seriously impressed my older sister, who is far more intelligent than I am (if you can imagine that big_smile ) when we watched Shaun of the Dead for the first time.  That part was he says "zed word" my sister was like, "What did he just say?  I thought he said 'dead word' but that sounded more like a 'z.'"  At which point I marveled her with my knowledge that he'd said "zed," and that "zed" meant "z." 

So as it turns out, I did learn a thing or two while living in Canada.   But then I also learned that Christmas is the same day around the globe while I was up there.  Kind of a funny story, but I don't want to sidetrack too much here. lol

Funnily enough , my first encounter with 'zee' came with Zee Zee Top. smile

Zeed_Chuva wrote:

It's "zee". Coming from a Canadian, who has a "Z" in his name (real name too), it's "zee", not "zed". I get the whole "zed" thing. "Zee" is close to "See", so "zed" breaks it up, but screw that. It's stupid.

Whatever you say Zeed, whatever you say ;-)

LoudLon wrote:

We all might have the same christmas, but Thanksgiving is different!  big_smile

I don't care about whether its pronounced Zee or Zed.

To me it looks like it will end becoming World War zzzzzzz if I ever see it, and thats unlikely.

this thread is making my brain hurt.....

I'm from the UK and usually I would've said 'Zed', however, that always makes me think of the line from Pulp Fiction,

"Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead."

Which, I guess, isn't necessarily a bad thing, but what happened previous to that line, is.

I think I'll stick with 'Zee'.

Vasquez wrote:

To me it looks like it will end becoming World War zzzzzzz if I ever see it, and thats unlikely.

Glad I'm not the only one who feels this way about this flick. I don't mean to be a hater but I feel like the only reason Max Brooks is "famous" is because his daddy threw money at his books.

I'm From America and I think its definitely zee. I've read other posts and agree with some of them. World War Zee is American and it was written in america. Although I have no idea what

^^^
First of all wH3LLcome to the MADhouse.
Your post got cut off. That's a rare bug in here. So you'll need to edit. Hey yeah, shit happens everywhere even into our badass homaland that HM is. big_smile

I like the idea that it comes from french a whole lot.
Another proof that french RULES!!! lol