Topic: Is it World War Zee or World War Zed? (Re: World War Z)

Phonetically speaking, I'm from the UK so we always pronounce a 'Z' like this:

'Zed'.

But in America it's pronounced 'Zee'.

But already the film critics in the UK are calling this movie World War Zee. Hmm...

Last edited by Master Horror (2013-06-03 02:36:11)

Re: Is it World War Zee or World War Zed? (Re: World War Z)

It's pronounced zed in Canada too.  But it sounds silly to say World War Zed...lol

Re: Is it World War Zee or World War Zed? (Re: World War Z)

Been saying zed all my life that's how we do it in french.

DirtyGirl, what a surprise, didn't know you were saying it that way too. Cool.
Lived in TNT for 8 months but it doesn't happen often you use only a zed in a conversation really. lol

But yeah, World War Zed sounds strange indeed.

Re: Is it World War Zee or World War Zed? (Re: World War Z)

Zed's dead baby, Zed's dead. wink

Re: Is it World War Zee or World War Zed? (Re: World War Z)

In the US, it's "zee."

In Canada, the UK, Australia and (I think) New Zealand, it's "zed."

And this is a point of constant amusement for me.  I'd never heard of using "zed" for the letter "z" until I moved to Canada back in late '00, and the first time I heard my ex use it I was like "The fuck is a 'zed'?"  But now every time I hear it I think of Shaun of the Dead.  "We're not using the 'zed' word!"
lol

Re: Is it World War Zee or World War Zed? (Re: World War Z)

Cap Howdy wrote:

Zed's dead baby, Zed's dead. wink

MWAHAHAHA

LoudLon wrote:

But now every time I hear it I think of Shaun of the Dead.  "We're not using the 'zed' word!"
lol

MWAHAHAHA

Re: Is it World War Zee or World War Zed? (Re: World War Z)

I sometimes switch between saying Zed and Zee, for whatever reason, but World War Z has always been a Zed for me. World War Zee sounds ridiculous. Too much like World War WHEEEEEEE, which is sadly what it looks like they were going for.

Re: Is it World War Zee or World War Zed? (Re: World War Z)

It's World War Zee. It was written by an american, and the movie is american, and it's clearly supposed to be a play on world war three. But yeah, why zee? You Americans on the board please fill me in, why a different pronunciation than everyone else?

Re: Is it World War Zee or World War Zed? (Re: World War Z)

I'm sure it's because they're all a bunch of Zee-lots. lol

Re: Is it World War Zee or World War Zed? (Re: World War Z)

Wow, hahaha big_smile

Re: Is it World War Zee or World War Zed? (Re: World War Z)

Ha ha, great responses. I love it. big_smile big_smile

Re: Is it World War Zee or World War Zed? (Re: World War Z)

I actually seriously impressed my older sister, who is far more intelligent than I am (if you can imagine that big_smile ) when we watched Shaun of the Dead for the first time.  That part was he says "zed word" my sister was like, "What did he just say?  I thought he said 'dead word' but that sounded more like a 'z.'"  At which point I marveled her with my knowledge that he'd said "zed," and that "zed" meant "z." 

So as it turns out, I did learn a thing or two while living in Canada.   But then I also learned that Christmas is the same day around the globe while I was up there.  Kind of a funny story, but I don't want to sidetrack too much here. lol

Re: Is it World War Zee or World War Zed? (Re: World War Z)

definitely Zed, and i have such a bad feeling that this film is going to be awful, which is really sad for me because i was really looking forward to it sad

Re: Is it World War Zee or World War Zed? (Re: World War Z)

It's "zee". Coming from a Canadian, who has a "Z" in his name (real name too), it's "zee", not "zed". I get the whole "zed" thing. "Zee" is close to "See", so "zed" breaks it up, but screw that. It's stupid.

The horse with stripes is called "ZEEE BRA" not a "ZEH BRA", ya dumb Brits. wink

Last edited by Zed_Chuva (2013-06-05 10:06:25)

Re: Is it World War Zee or World War Zed? (Re: World War Z)

I always pronounced it 'World War Zee' and this is coming from a European.

Re: Is it World War Zee or World War Zed? (Re: World War Z)

Zed_Chuva wrote:

The horse with stripes is called "ZEEE BRA" not a "ZEH BRA", ya dumb Brits. wink

Bollocks! lol

Re: Is it World War Zee or World War Zed? (Re: World War Z)

wolfman1959 wrote:

definitely Zed, and i have such a bad feeling that this film is going to be awful, which is really sad for me because i was really looking forward to it sad


I have a feeling you're right. Brad Pitt may be a pretty boy but he's never impressed me ever with his acting.

I just find him so dull, and I suspect this new movie is going to be a total self-indulgent mess. I could be wrong though.

LoudLon wrote:

I actually seriously impressed my older sister, who is far more intelligent than I am (if you can imagine that big_smile ) when we watched Shaun of the Dead for the first time.  That part was he says "zed word" my sister was like, "What did he just say?  I thought he said 'dead word' but that sounded more like a 'z.'"  At which point I marveled her with my knowledge that he'd said "zed," and that "zed" meant "z." 

So as it turns out, I did learn a thing or two while living in Canada.   But then I also learned that Christmas is the same day around the globe while I was up there.  Kind of a funny story, but I don't want to sidetrack too much here. lol

Funnily enough , my first encounter with 'zee' came with Zee Zee Top. smile

Re: Is it World War Zee or World War Zed? (Re: World War Z)

Zeed_Chuva wrote:

It's "zee". Coming from a Canadian, who has a "Z" in his name (real name too), it's "zee", not "zed". I get the whole "zed" thing. "Zee" is close to "See", so "zed" breaks it up, but screw that. It's stupid.

The horse with stripes is called "ZEEE BRA" not a "ZEH BRA", ya dumb Brits. wink

Whatever you say Zeed, whatever you say ;-)

Re: Is it World War Zee or World War Zed? (Re: World War Z)

LoudLon wrote:

So as it turns out, I did learn a thing or two while living in Canada.   But then I also learned that Christmas is the same day around the globe while I was up there.  Kind of a funny story, but I don't want to sidetrack too much here. lol


We all might have the same christmas, but Thanksgiving is different!  big_smile

Re: Is it World War Zee or World War Zed? (Re: World War Z)

I don't care about whether its pronounced Zee or Zed.

To me it looks like it will end becoming World War zzzzzzz if I ever see it, and thats unlikely.

21

Re: Is it World War Zee or World War Zed? (Re: World War Z)

this thread is making my brain hurt.....

Re: Is it World War Zee or World War Zed? (Re: World War Z)

I'm from the UK and usually I would've said 'Zed', however, that always makes me think of the line from Pulp Fiction,

"Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead."

Which, I guess, isn't necessarily a bad thing, but what happened previous to that line, is.

I think I'll stick with 'Zee'.

Re: Is it World War Zee or World War Zed? (Re: World War Z)

Vasquez wrote:

To me it looks like it will end becoming World War zzzzzzz if I ever see it, and thats unlikely.

Glad I'm not the only one who feels this way about this flick. I don't mean to be a hater but I feel like the only reason Max Brooks is "famous" is because his daddy threw money at his books.

Re: Is it World War Zee or World War Zed? (Re: World War Z)

I'm From America and I think its definitely zee. I've read other posts and agree with some of them. World War Zee is American and it was written in america. Although I have no idea what

Re: Is it World War Zee or World War Zed? (Re: World War Z)

^^^
First of all wH3LLcome to the MADhouse.
Your post got cut off. That's a rare bug in here. So you'll need to edit. Hey yeah, shit happens everywhere even into our badass homaland that HM is. big_smile

I like the idea that it comes from french a whole lot.
Another proof that french RULES!!! lol