Re: Last horror movie you watched?

The Cabin in the Woods - 7/10
Quite fun and sometimes scarry but its not as innovative as some would say.

Donnie Darco - masterpiece and one of my fav movies smile

I give Donnie Darko a lot of guff but I've never really seen it all the way through.  The only Jake Gyllenhaal movies I've seen are City Slickers, Brokeback Mountain and Zodiac.  I love all three so I guess I should give it a chance.

alien25 wrote:

I love Ils!
It is often compared to The Strangers, but for my money as far as home invasion flicks go, I will take Ils any day of the week over The Strangers.

If you haven't seen it yet Punk, check out Kidnapped (2010), a Spanish home invasion flick that again puts The Strangers to shame.

Oh yes, ILS is definitely much better than Strangers. And yes, I've seen Kidnapped which is pretty damn good too. Gotta LOOOVE european Horror. big_smile

OldLaughingLady, very cool review and I subscribed to your channel.

Last edited by kXnPunk (2013-06-28 12:10:55)

MistressOf Horror wrote:

Come Out and Play   7/10   
not bad. I like creepy kid movie.. especially if they are a collective mind ..

A really well done remake.  If you haven't seen it yet Mistress, check out the original, Who Can Kill a Child (1976).

The Zodiac (2005) - The lead actor was not particularly good, but it ended up being a decent flick.  2.5/5.

Phantom (2013) - Really more of a thriller, but an entertaining watch.  3/5.

Hatchet III (2013) - Not a great film, but it was fun and a definite improvement over the 2nd film.  3/5.

Scary or Die (2012) - A weak low budget anthology of 5 interwoven stories.  2/5.

Lesson of the Evil (2012) - Takashi Miike's latest offering.  It takes a while to get going, but if you can sit through the annoying teenagers in the first half of the movie, you will be pleasantly surprised by the second act.  3.5/5.

The Other Hell (1980) - So bad that I couldn't make it through it before sending it back.

Castle Freak (1995)  - I'd seen bits and pieces before, but this is the first time watching it in its entirety, a fun flick.  3/5.

Last edited by alien25 (2013-06-28 12:42:30)

^^^
I loved Scary Or Die. All the stories kept me entertained but the Zombie first one is my favorite.

Night of the Living Dead '89 (yeah, I know most folks call it '90 but read the credits, dammit!).  Not bad as far as remakes go but I wish it would have strayed a bit more from the original and delivered something more fresh.  It was subsequently revealed that Savini's hands were severely tied by the producers and his artistic vision strangled, but there's still enough good stuff to make it worth the watch. 6/10

Re-Animator.  I've lost count of how many times I've seen this; not as many times as I've seen the original Dawn of the Dead (last track of that one somewhere around 175 viewings) but more than Tenebrae (which I've seen about fifty times).  One of my all-time top ten favorite horror flicks, still every bit as bitingly funny as the day it came out.  10/10

Body Parts (1991), work-print.  Better than the theatrical cut; lots of extra grue as well as story and character bits.  I'd give the theatrical cut 5 or 6 out of 10, but the extra stuff in the work-print would bump it up to a solid 8.

Open House (1987), obscure slasher flick starring Adrienne Barbeau.  I totally understand its obscurity; not much of a movie at all.  Slow going and uneventful, and even Barbeau's sex scene (no nudity involved) is bland and taxing.  Well made but pointless.  4/10.

kXnPunk wrote:

^^^
I loved Scary Or Die. All the stories kept me entertained but the Zombie first one is my favorite.

I'd seen it floating around for awhile, so when you gave it high marks, I decided to check it out.  Unfortunately, it didn't do much for me.  But I agree, the first segment was the best.

Along those same lines Punk, there is another low budget anthology called L.A. I Hate You (2011) where all of the stories are interwoven and take place in L.A.  The first story will definitely get your attention.

^^^
Thank you sir, I read about it but haven't got around to see it YET.
But that's definitely gonna change in the next days. big_smile

alien25 wrote:
MistressOf Horror wrote:

Come Out and Play   7/10   
not bad. I like creepy kid movie.. especially if they are a collective mind ..

A really well done remake.  If you haven't seen it yet Mistress, check out the original, Who Can Kill a Child (1976).

The Zodiac (2005) - The lead actor was not particularly good, but it ended up being a decent flick.  2.5/5.

Phantom (2013) - Really more of a thriller, but an entertaining watch.  3/5.

Hatchet III (2013) - Not a great film, but it was fun and a definite improvement over the 2nd film.  3/5.

Scary or Die (2012) - A weak low budget anthology of 5 interwoven stories.  2/5.

Lesson of the Evil (2012) - Takashi Miike's latest offering.  It takes a while to get going, but if you can sit through the annoying teenagers in the first half of the movie, you will be pleasantly surprised by the second act.  3.5/5.

The Other Hell (1980) - So bad that I couldn't make it through it before sending it back.

Castle Freak (1995)  - I'd seen bits and pieces before, but this is the first time watching it in its entirety, a fun flick.  3/5.

Hell Yeah. The original Who Can Kill A Child is one of my favourite horror films of all time. Uses the power of suggestion in its imagery to very creepy effect. Its the most effective child killer film I have yet seen.

Last edited by Vasquez (2013-06-28 15:07:57)

Stevie (2008) not really a horror film, more a supernatural drama. it will not be for everyone, spanish made but in English and it is rather slow going but i found the revelation rather touching.6/10

^^^
Damn your avatar now is amazing. Talk about hotness. smile

Stay Alive

Not as bad as people make it out to be, it's fun but that is the extent of it.

6/10

The Last Exorcism (2010)

The film has its moments but it just doesn't offer anything new. The film resembles many mediocre horror films of the decade that don't really surprise the audience.

6.2/10

MAMA [2013]

Man, oh man, oh man, oh man what an insanely great movie.
Everything is just so perfect. Chastain is great, the cinematography and the story too. And the atmosphere is so freaking creepy it's mad.
Del Toro proves once more why he's an amazing director. I waited a long time to see this and I wasn't let down at all.

One of the best and scariest movies I've seen recently. Really worth watching, I recommend it, pure awesomeness.

666.666.666.666.666.666/10

Watched Bubba Ho Tep the other day. It's an interesting movie. Very different than i thought it would be, surprisingly dark for the subject matter, but also heart warming and funny at times. It's a really good movie, I'll need to watch it again.

GREMLINS [1984]

Damn this movie is great. Glad it shows up now on TV, been a long while I haven't seen it. I gotta get the DVD or even better the VHS. big_smile

666.666.666/10

Quatermass and The Pit (1967)

A fine third Hammer production of the original British TV Serial.

8/10

Last edited by Vasquez (2013-06-29 15:50:30)

LoudLon wrote:

"not as many times as I've seen the original Dawn of the Dead (last track of that one somewhere around 175 viewings)"

Good god, man! I'm way behind by that count! But I do love Re-Animator (yet I've never tried its sequels).

Saw World War Z the other night and I really enjoyed it. Admittedly, I was skeptical because I knew that it would essentially have nothing in common with the book.

Fast zombies versus slow.

Single story as opposed to multiple interviews

etc. etc.

But Brad Pitt carried it well, the CGI was nowhere near as atrocious as I Am Legend's (I got that vibe from the trailer) and the plot was good. The scale of the disaster was excellent as well, probably the best thing it had going for it. But what really held it back for me was the rating; it was very, very clear that it was toned down, and that isn't right for a zombie flick. Very bloodless and lots of fast cuts. But I got past that and accepted it for what it was.

7/10 (with gore and showing more impact, this could have been an 8 or 9)

Black Sheep. LOL

Madhouse (1974) - Not the best Vincent Price movie I've ever seen, but still worth a watch.

Tomorrow going to the cinema to watch World War Z big_smile big_smile big_smile big_smile big_smile big_smile big_smile

Hey guys, u like zombies?? big_smile big_smile big_smile

Ms.Gorefiend wrote:

Madhouse (1974) - Not the best Vincent Price movie I've ever seen, but still worth a watch.

I agree with you, but I still think its still a pretty entertaining movie. Pus its got the great Peter Cushing in it, if only in a limited role.

Vasquez wrote:
Ms.Gorefiend wrote:

I agree with you, but I still think its still a pretty entertaining movie. Pus its got the great Peter Cushing in it, if only in a limited role.

i like "Madhouse" it's a good film.

"The Lodger" (2008) a good opportunity wasted. 5/10