Re: Best Movie In a Series

Answer Me is my favorite from Tales of the Darkside.  Such a compelling use of phones which has inspired some of my writing.

I'm not sure I remember that episode, I really need to go through the whole series again, like I said.

I just checked and the complete set on Amazon is just under 50 bucks for all the seasons.  Pretty awesome, I think I'll pick it up soon.  Always fun to relive those classics!

That's a great deal, I'll definitely look into it.

For 3 seasons on DVD I wish it were a little cheaper.  Saying that because Blu Ray is getting close to 10 years old and even those are getting dirt cheap (huge 5 dollar sale with GOOD movies last week on amazon).  But, something from the early 70s can't look too good on Blu Ray so it'll still look the same as DVD.

Back on-topic, of the various movie series listed in the first post, which is your favorite one in each of them, and also favorite segment in a Horror anthology?

Jigsaw wrote:

Pretty simple, which one movie of the following series with at least three or more movies is your favorite? Just pick your one favorite from each and add more series not listed if you'd like.

---

Friday The 13th

Halloween

A Nightmare On Elm Street

Saw

Scream

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre

Alien

Predator

Phantasm

Evil Dead

Hellraiser

Child's Play

Final Destination

---

My favorites in each:

Friday The 13th - Jason Lives

Halloween - 1978 Original

A Nightmare On Elm Street - New Nightmare

Saw - Saw II

Scream - Original

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre - 2003 Remake

Alien - Aliens

Predator - Predator 2

Phantasm - Phantasm II

Evil Dead - Evil Dead II

Hellraiser - Original

Child's Play - Original

Final Destination - Original

WOW!!! That's a great list of horror movies but I really like Saw & Scream movie too..These are mine best movie ever!!!

That's cool. What are your favorite movies in those series?

Another series I thought of is Fright Night, it counts I think, with the first two plus the remake. I definitely like the original the best.

I just remembered Hatchet III is coming out not long from now if it's not out already, another series to add. I liked the second one better than the first, who knows how the third is.

Jeepers Creepers III should be out sometime this year, which would make it eligible to be added. I saw the first two and wasn't big on either.

The Halloween series imo.........nightmare on elm st was good too. I like how they kept giving you a bit of his story with each movie. Anything else is eh imo.

Which do you think is the best installment in each series listed?

I remembered Re-Animator as another series, I only saw the original and liked it a lot.

Did I ever bring up Wrong Turn before? Don't remember if I did. I only saw the original, which I remember liking a lot.

I recently got a copy of The Exorcist from a friend and will be seeing it soon for the first time (both versions). Should I see the prequels first? I always like seeing a series in chronological order for the first time.

Friday The 13th - The original. I personally actually enjoy watching Parts 3 and 6 more because they're more fun, but I still prefer the original.

Halloween - Definitely the original

A Nightmare On Elm Street - The original

S aw - I never was the biggest Saw fan, but I do prefer the original over the others, though I like Part 3 as well.

Scream - The first one, all the others are almost unbearable to me (Part 2 was okay, but I hated 3 and 4)

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre - The original, I never was a fan of the more comedic route it took in the sequels

Alien - I like Aliens most, but I consider Aliens to be more of an action-thriller type movie, so if we're talking about horror series, I'd have to once again say the original.

Predator - I've never seen Predator as a horror series, but I guess I'd say the first one.

Phantasm - I've always liked Part 2 more, even though Part 1 is probably, from a critical standpoint, the better film, 2 has always been my favorite.

Evil Dead - I'm definitely in the minority for this one, but I've always liked the original more. Maybe because I always watch Evil Dead II right after The Evil Dead, but by the end of II I'm honestly a bit bored with the whole ordeal. I also always have preferred straight horror to more comedic horror.

Hellraiser - Not the biggest fan of this franchise. I like the first one, but all the others don't really do anything for me. Hellbound has its moments.

Child's Play - Once again, I like the first, definitely.

Final Destination - I don't really like this franchise all that much. I haven't seen 4 and 5 because I heard bad things about 4 so I didn't see it in theatres, and even though many fans liked 5, I skipped out on it because I was honestly tired of the whole franchise. I guess I like Part 1, though I honestly don't care enough about it to be certain.

With Predator I always considered them a hybrid of Action, Horror and Sci-Fi.

I literally finished watching The Exorcist for the first time just now and thought it was very good. I want to see the rest of the series at some point, but I have my doubts they're on par with the original. The Heretic in particular seems much-maligned.

Jigsaw wrote:

Are You Afraid Of The Dark?

Is this any good ?

Hey, I'm new here.  Anyway, my two pesos.

Friday the 13th -- the original.  Parts 2, 3, 4 and 6 are definitely more fun, but this is so much more atmospheric, suspenseful, iconic and re-watchable.
Halloween -- the original.  Is there even any question?
A Nightmare on Elm Street -- the original.  Wow, this list is hardly original, and rather monotonous.  Parts 3 and New Nightmare are a close-ish second equal, but this is always the one I go to when I feel like watching a horror film.
Saw -- I'm not the greatest Saw fan (but my sister is), but out of the three I've seen I have to (yet again) go for the original.   It was actually fairly interesting, while the other two lost my attention about 20 minutes in.
Scream -- Oh, god, it has to be the original, again!  I love and have watched all of them countless times (it's my favourite horror series), but the original was just so fast paced and fresh and had such memorable villains.  I mean, come on, who can forget Matthew

bussinrounds wrote:
Jigsaw wrote:

Are You Afraid Of The Dark?

Is this any good ?

Definitely see it if you haven't, great show. It's a kid's show but don't let that fool you, it's actually quite eerie and intense much of the time.

Are you afraid of the dark was pretty good but my kids like the haunting hour tv series and the nightmare room, but back to the topic Army of Darkness had to be my favorite out of the evil dead movies.  I still need to see the remake though.

What about the other series for you?

Okay, after much deliberation, here are the rest:

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre -- the original.  It's the only one I own on DVD and I watch it at fairly regular intervals.  I prefer the more serious approach taken by the original, as opposed to the more comedic route taken by the sequels.
Alien -- Aliens.  Probably not a horror film in the strictest sense (it's almost more of a traditional action/adventure), but I prefer the faster pace of this to the original.
Predator -- the original.
Phantasm -- I'm not the biggest fan of this series, but I'd say the original.
Evil Dead -- part two.  It just took everything that made the original so great and stepped it up a notch.  There are so many more twists and turns, and lots of gore.  I love it.
Hellraiser -- I haven't seen any of these.  I really must get around to it.
Child's Play -- from a critical standpoint, the first is definitely the best, but I personally prefer the second.  This is simply because it was the first I saw as a kid, and I get an extraordinary feeling of nostalgia watching it.
Final Destination -- the original, without a doubt.  Every sequel just feels like a cheap carbon copy of the first, without doing anything to advance the overall story.  With that being said, the way the fifth tied everything up at the end was pretty good.

Last edited by Ghostface26 (2013-08-28 04:34:18)