Topic: Reality Bending horror movies

I'm looking for nice surreal changes to the fabric of reality.
My favourite part of that is usually spatial changes.
Prime examples would be the infinite highway of Dead End, the unescapable hotel room in 1408 or the structue changing asylum in Grave Encounters.
But I also like weird time jumps and pure distortion of reality as in In the Mouth of Madness.

So, hit me.

Re: Reality Bending horror movies

The cube in Cabin In The Woods was out of here totally.
So was almost EVERYTHING in Dark Corners with Thora Birch.

Try Detention. It's more of a slasher/ horror comedy but it def. has some time jumps and plenty of other bizarre happenings.

^^^
Definitely. Weirdness happens...

Couple surreal trips to hell:

This Night I'll Possess Your Corpse
Jigoku

Cabin, check
Dark Corners. still need to see that one
Detention, check

But I don't think it's really surrealism I'm looking for. It's more like clearly observable reality distortion.

Oh then check out Parasomnia. Really distorted reality stuff.
Same with Dark Corners which is a great one.

The Silent Hill films.
Jacob's Ladder
Donnie Darko
The Cell (2000)
Flatliners?
Videodrome
Blair Witch 2: Book of Shadows
Dreamscape (1984)
The Thirteenth Floor (1999)
Dark City

I second Videodrome that Az said, it's way out there. I will also add Naked Lunch but it's not really horror.

Nice list azathoth, definitely reality bending freak out stuff.

Dark City
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSpowoKqSzc

Cube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MY5PkidV1cM

Rose Red
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vZlrlTbudw

Lord of Illusions.

John Dies at the end was sort of like this

Parasomnia - listed
The Silent Hill films - seen
Jacob's Ladder- seen
Donnie Darko- seen
The Cell (2000) - seen
Flatliners? - seen
Videodrome - seen
Blair Witch 2: Book of Shadows - seen
Dreamscape (1984) - listed
The Thirteenth Floor (1999) - seen
Dark City - seen
Cube - seen
Rose Red - Classic King pulp, hits my sweet spot. Tried to give it another go last year, but it didn't take anymore.
Lord of Illusions - On my list for some time now
John Dies at the end - Read half the book, became bored

And thinking more about it, I guess it's really mostly the spatial stuff that fascinates me. A scenario where you can't escape, but space itself refuses you to.
Cube was sort of like that, but there was nothing supernatural about that, it was all because of mechanisms, so it doesn't really count for me.

It's weird how specific that itch of mine is, but boy DOES it itch.

Last edited by golem09 (2013-07-08 15:29:24)

With JDATE the book gets better in the second half, you can tell ''David Wong'' became more comfortable as a writer and not just a blogger. It get's darker and more horror related and the plot gets quite a bit more interesting (though immaturity is still prevalent too). That said the movie is a fun ride with or without having read the book. Excellent comedy horror with a good story, though they cut out a decent amount from the book.

Gotta agree with Dark Corners too, I loved that movie! I need to watch it again though it`s been far too long.

I loved JDATE, and it's sequel This Book is Full of Spiders. But if honest, I didn't care for the film pretty much at all. It's just not well done to me.

Hellraiser series (Reality transitions from the spatial realms of Earth to those of Hell)
The ending for Evil Dead 2 and Army of Darkness (Time travel)
The 4D Man (Haven't seen this one, but the synopsis is quite clear - the film features a being from the fourth spatial dimension interacting with the third)
There's plenty of Twilight Zone episodes that are "reality-bending". Just off the top of my head.

Edit: I thought I might add that Altered States is a pretty reality-bending film, at least on the human consciousness level. Near the end of the film, the conscious/physical alterations aren't so clear.

Last edited by The Creature (2013-07-09 12:22:31)

golem09 wrote:

It's weird how specific that itch of mine is, but boy DOES it itch.

I got an itch too but mine isn't specific at all. In fact it's pretty simple. MOVIES. lol

Waxwork/Waxwork 2

Tried Parasomnia last night, but couldn't get into it.

The Creature wrote:

There's plenty of Twilight Zone episodes that are "reality-bending". Just off the top of my head.

yeah, I'm pretty sad that by now I've seen all of Twilight Zone there is. So much fun. And surprisingly the 80s version was even BETTER than the 50s one.

^ How is the 80's one better than the 50's one? In your opinion, of course.

Scavenger of Human Sorrow wrote:

I liked the storylines more. There were a lot of good episodes in the orignal of course, but the 80s one had more even better ones. And an ensemble of actors that more than matched the original.
But yeah, I was a huge fan of the original when I started watching the 80s series, and I was not expecting it to even match the quality.

Last edited by golem09 (2013-07-09 16:47:13)

golem09 wrote:

Tried Parasomnia last night, but couldn't get into it.

Ahhh well sorry for you. I dig this flick.

golem09 wrote:
Scavenger of Human Sorrow wrote:

I liked the storylines more. There were a lot of good episodes in the orignal of course, but the 80s one had more even better ones. And an ensemble of actors that more than matched the original.
But yeah, I was a huge fan of the original when I started watching the 80s series, and I was not expecting it to even match the quality.

I prefer much more the 80's one. Characters are better developed IMO of course...