Topic: Famous horror movie title changes - WHY??

I've often wondered why the same movie can have two different titles.

For example, The Satanic Rites of Dracula (1973), made in the UK, is actually better known in America by the name Count Dracula and His Vampire Bride.

WHY???

And do others have any more examples of famous horror movies, the titles of which have been changed depending on the country they're screened.

Only English titles please. Thanks. smile

Last edited by Master Horror (2013-07-11 03:39:16)

Re: Famous horror movie title changes - WHY??

^^^
Oh yes that is annoying like mad.
Just another example, the swedish and european versions of Let The Right One In is called Morse, which is much better...

Worst are the translations from english to french in here, you wouldn't believe the insane titles they come up with that have absolutely nothing to do with the original. Grrr.

Last edited by kXnPunk (2013-07-11 06:31:02)

Re: Famous horror movie title changes - WHY??

kXnPunk wrote:

^^^
Oh yes that is annoying like mad.
Just another example, the swedish and european versions of Let The Right One In is called Morse, which is much better...

Worst are the translations from english to french in here, you wouldn't believe the insane titles they come up with that have absolutely nothing to do with the original. Grrr.

I actually think Count Dracula and His Vampire Bride is a rather poor re-naming.

It is confusing like you say because I was talking to a friend who asked me if I had seen Count Dracula and His Vampire Bride and said, 'no'. big_smile Of course I had.

'Was it made in the 1930s?' I asked.

The title sounded so dated -  especially the 'Count' bit. lol. big_smile

Last edited by Master Horror (2013-07-11 07:27:59)

Re: Famous horror movie title changes - WHY??

Most of the time it's an ego thing; the distributor dislikes the title so he comes up with one he thinks is better.  Or one he thinks will appeal more to the foreign audience he's distributing to.  Other times it's a matter of copyright.  It's been going on since the dawn of film and likely won't change any time soon.

Some examples:

Zombie (1979).  Aka Zombi 2, to cash in on the success of Dawn of the Dead which was released in Italy under the title Zombi.  Also known as Zombie Flesh Eaters in the UK.

The Prowler.  Known in some countries as "Rosemary's Killer."

Haute Tension (2003).  Known in the states as High Tension.  Known in parts of Europe as Switchblade Romance.

The Beyond (1981).  Also known as Seven Doors of Death.

Effects (1980).  Also known as The Manipulator.

The Untold Story (1993).  Aka Bunman.  Aka Eight Immortals Restaurant.  Aka Human Meat Roast Pork Buns.  Aka The Eight Immortals Restaurant: The Untold Story. 

Romero's original The Crazies (1973).  Aka Codename: Trixie.

Last House on the Left (original).  Aka Sex Crime of the Century.

Evil Dead (1981).  Known in some parts of Europe as Dance of the Devil.

Bay of Blood (1973).  Aka Carnage.  Aka Twitch of the Death Nerve.

Shock (1977).  Aka Beyond the Door 2.

Gates of Hell (1980).  Aka City of the Living Dead.

Deep Red (1975).  Aka Profondo Rosso.  Aka The Hatchet Murders.

Tenebrae (1982).  Aka Tenebre.  Aka Unsane.

Cemetery Man (1994).  Aka Dellamorte, Dellamore.

Dr. Butcher, MD (1980).  Aka Zombie Holocaust.

Cannibal Ferox (1981).  Aka Make Them Die Slowly.

Emmanuelle and the Last Cannibals (1984), aka Trap Them and Kill Them.

Death Dream (1972), aka The Night Andy Came Home, aka Dead of Night

Dead Alive (1992).  Aka Braindead.

I could go on and on...

Re: Famous horror movie title changes - WHY??

^^^
Yeah. Sucks and makes it harder to find the right one.

Worst english to french title is definitely Splice.
They called it Nouvelle Espèce in french which is New Species. WTF???

Re: Famous horror movie title changes - WHY??

LoudLon wrote:

Most of the time it's an ego thing; the distributor dislikes the title so he comes up with one he thinks is better.  Or one he thinks will appeal more to the foreign audience he's distributing to.  Other times it's a matter of copyright.  It's been going on since the dawn of film and likely won't change any time soon.

Some examples:

Zombie (1979).  Aka Zombi 2, to cash in on the success of Dawn of the Dead which was released in Italy under the title Zombi.  Also known as Zombie Flesh Eaters in the UK.

The Prowler.  Known in some countries as "Rosemary's Killer."

Haute Tension (2003).  Known in the states as High Tension.  Known in parts of Europe as Switchblade Romance.

The Beyond (1981).  Also known as Seven Doors of Death.

Effects (1980).  Also known as The Manipulator.

The Untold Story (1993).  Aka Bunman.  Aka Eight Immortals Restaurant.  Aka Human Meat Roast Pork Buns.  Aka The Eight Immortals Restaurant: The Untold Story. 

Romero's original The Crazies (1973).  Aka Codename: Trixie.

Last House on the Left (original).  Aka Sex Crime of the Century.

Evil Dead (1981).  Known in some parts of Europe as Dance of the Devil.

Bay of Blood (1973).  Aka Carnage.  Aka Twitch of the Death Nerve.

Shock (1977).  Aka Beyond the Door 2.

Gates of Hell (1980).  Aka City of the Living Dead.

Deep Red (1975).  Aka Profondo Rosso.  Aka The Hatchet Murders.

Tenebrae (1982).  Aka Tenebre.  Aka Unsane.

Cemetery Man (1994).  Aka Dellamorte, Dellamore.

Dr. Butcher, MD (1980).  Aka Zombie Holocaust.

Cannibal Ferox (1981).  Aka Make Them Die Slowly.

Emmanuelle and the Last Cannibals (1984), aka Trap Them and Kill Them.

Death Dream (1972), aka The Night Andy Came Home, aka Dead of Night

Dead Alive (1992).  Aka Braindead.

I could go on and on...

Thanks for that!

There were a few of the renamed titles I didn't think were too bad. I like City of the Living Dead.

Re: Famous horror movie title changes - WHY??

Another for Bay of Blood is Baron Blood. And some of the ones listed are just translations, Haute Tension, Profondo Rosso.

Re: Famous horror movie title changes - WHY??

Terry Levene of Aquarius releasing was responsible for the renaming of Italian exploitation films , like Doctor Butcher MD and Make Them Die Slowly, for America's Grindhouse theatres I believe.

Last edited by Vasquez (2013-07-11 12:50:00)

Re: Famous horror movie title changes - WHY??

Master Horror wrote:
LoudLon wrote:

Most of the time it's an ego thing; the distributor dislikes the title so he comes up with one he thinks is better.  Or one he thinks will appeal more to the foreign audience he's distributing to.  Other times it's a matter of copyright.  It's been going on since the dawn of film and likely won't change any time soon.

Some examples:

Zombie (1979).  Aka Zombi 2, to cash in on the success of Dawn of the Dead which was released in Italy under the title Zombi.  Also known as Zombie Flesh Eaters in the UK.

The Prowler.  Known in some countries as "Rosemary's Killer."

Haute Tension (2003).  Known in the states as High Tension.  Known in parts of Europe as Switchblade Romance.

The Beyond (1981).  Also known as Seven Doors of Death.

Effects (1980).  Also known as The Manipulator.

The Untold Story (1993).  Aka Bunman.  Aka Eight Immortals Restaurant.  Aka Human Meat Roast Pork Buns.  Aka The Eight Immortals Restaurant: The Untold Story. 

Romero's original The Crazies (1973).  Aka Codename: Trixie.

Last House on the Left (original).  Aka Sex Crime of the Century.

Evil Dead (1981).  Known in some parts of Europe as Dance of the Devil.

Bay of Blood (1973).  Aka Carnage.  Aka Twitch of the Death Nerve.

Shock (1977).  Aka Beyond the Door 2.

Gates of Hell (1980).  Aka City of the Living Dead.

Deep Red (1975).  Aka Profondo Rosso.  Aka The Hatchet Murders.

Tenebrae (1982).  Aka Tenebre.  Aka Unsane.

Cemetery Man (1994).  Aka Dellamorte, Dellamore.

Dr. Butcher, MD (1980).  Aka Zombie Holocaust.

Cannibal Ferox (1981).  Aka Make Them Die Slowly.

Emmanuelle and the Last Cannibals (1984), aka Trap Them and Kill Them.

Death Dream (1972), aka The Night Andy Came Home, aka Dead of Night

Dead Alive (1992).  Aka Braindead.

I could go on and on...

Thanks for that!

There were a few of the renamed titles I didn't think were too bad. I like City of the Living Dead.

Terry Levene of Aquarius releasing was responsible for the renaming, distribution and marketing of Italian exploitation films that would make William Castle proud, like Zombie Holocaust - retitled Doctor Butcher MD and Cannibal Ferox - retitled Make Them Die Slowly, for America's Grindhouse theatres I believe. There was a cool extra on Terry Levene (an interview) on Arrow Video's release of The Beyond aka Seven Doors of Death I watched and I believe he also contributes to the doc From Romero To Rome on Arrow's Zombie Flesh Eaters release.

So in the case of Italian exploitation the renaming was done as part of the overall advertising of  the film, in the vein of previous Grindhouse/exploitation cinema history.

Last edited by Vasquez (2013-07-11 13:19:25)

Re: Famous horror movie title changes - WHY??

Theli wrote:

Another for Bay of Blood is Baron Blood. And some of the ones listed are just translations, Haute Tension, Profondo Rosso.

Bay of Blood and Baron Blood are two separate Mario Bava films if i'm not mistaken.

Re: Famous horror movie title changes - WHY??

^^^ Yep.

Re: Famous horror movie title changes - WHY??

Vasquez wrote:
Theli wrote:

Another for Bay of Blood is Baron Blood. And some of the ones listed are just translations, Haute Tension, Profondo Rosso.

Bay of Blood and Baron Blood are two separate Mario Bava films if i'm not mistaken.

yes. Bay Of Blood is also known as " Twitch Of the Death Nerve" and " Carnage".

Last edited by wolfman1959 (2013-07-11 14:31:42)

Re: Famous horror movie title changes - WHY??

Another reason was that a lot of this happened back in the 70s and 80s, with various countries having various hissy fits about horror films (a la the British Video Nasties).  So movies would get recut and renamed so appease the various countries.  Also as Lon touched on, different distributors wanted an "exclusive" (HAH!) on these films.

Here are some of the more fun ones:

  • City of the Walking Dead / Nightmare City / Nightmare in the Contaminated City / Incubo sulla Citta Contaminata / La Invasion de los Zombies Atomicos (1980/1983)

  • Dr. Butcher, M.D./Zombie Holocaust/Island of the Last Zombies/Queen of the Cannibals/Il Rei dei Morti-Viventi (1979)

  • Zombie / Zombie 2 / Zombie Flesh-Eaters / Island of the Flesh-Eaters / Island of the Living Dead / Zombi 2 / Gli Ultimi Zombi (1979)

  • Cannibal Apocalypse / Cannibal Massacre / Invasion of the Flesh Hunters / The Cannibals Are in the Streets / Cannibals in the Street / Cannibals in the City / Savage Apocalypse / The Savage Slaughterers / The Slaughterers / Virus / Apocalipse Domani / Apocalipse Cannibal (1980/1983)

  • Dracula vs. Frankenstein / Revenge of Dracula / Teenage Dracula / Blood of Frankenstein / Blood Seekers / Satan’s Bloody Freaks / They’re Coming to Get You (1971)

  • Tombs of the Blind Dead / Crypt of the Blind Dead / Night of the Blind Dead / The Blind Dead / La Noche del Terror Ciego / La Noche de la Muerta Ciega (1971/1973)

  • Twitch of the Death Nerve / A Bay of Blood / Bloodbath / Bloodbath: Bay of Blood / Bloodbath: Bay of Death / Carnage / Ecology of a Crime / Before the Fact: Ecology of a Crime / Last House on the Left, Part 2 / Reazione a Catena / Antefatto / Ecologia del Delitto (1971/1973)

  • The Bare-Breasted Countess / The Black Countess / Erotikill / Female Vampire / The Loves of Irina / Insatiable Lust / The Last Thrill / Les Avaleuses / La Comtesse Noire / La Comtesse aux Seins Nus (1973/1981)

  • Emanuelle and the Last Cannibals / Emanuelle’s Amazon Adventure / Trap Them and Kill Them / Emanuelle e gli Ultimi Cannibali (1977)

  • The Boogens (1981) [nah, this title just makes me chuckle]

  • Oasis of the Zombies / Oasis of the Living Dead / Treasure of the Living Dead / Bloodsucking Nazi Zombies / Le Trésor des Morts Vivants / L’Abîme des Morts Vivants (1983)

  • Zombie Lake / Zombies’ Lake / Lake of the Living Dead / Le Lac des Morts Vivants / El Lago de los Muertos Vivientes (1980)

  • The Beyond/Seven Doors of Death/And You Will Live in Terror: The Afterlife/E Tu Vivrai nel Terrore: L’Aldila/L’Aldila (1981)

Re: Famous horror movie title changes - WHY??

Vasquez wrote:
Theli wrote:

Another for Bay of Blood is Baron Blood. And some of the ones listed are just translations, Haute Tension, Profondo Rosso.

Bay of Blood and Baron Blood are two separate Mario Bava films if i'm not mistaken.

I see. Well I guess I need to see Bay of Blood then!