Topic: Oldboy (2013)

PunBB bbcode test
Trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8gpi44y4TU

I'm really hoping they stick to the original's story line and shoot the hallway fight scene in one shot. If they don't do this I'll be seriously disappointed in everyone involved. What do you guys think?

Re: Oldboy (2013)

That first poster that was released was super weird. I don't have faith in the remake anyway though.

PunBB bbcode test
this one?

Last edited by BubRub (2013-07-13 15:52:27)

I got a bad feeling about this.  Trailer doesn't look good.  Why mess with perfection?

Watched the trailer a couple days ago.  Loved the original, but have only seen it once.  Yet from what I can tell this remake appears to be different enough from the original to be interesting on its own terms.  Besides, I dig Josh Brolin quite a bit.  I'll be checking it out.

Loved the original, don't think it should have been remade. But who knows, it might turn out pretty good. I seem to like most remakes so I'll give it a shot.

I loved the original Oldboy, but I do think the remake looks pretty damn good, though abviously not as good as the original. I'll check it out.

LoudLon wrote:

Watched the trailer a couple days ago.  Loved the original, but have only seen it once.  Yet from what I can tell this remake appears to be different enough from the original to be interesting on its own terms.  Besides, I dig Josh Brolin quite a bit.  I'll be checking it out.

H3LL yeah, Brolin is always amazing. I'm waiting for this one and I don't care if they stick or not to the original. Everything they remake I take it like a new one so it doesn't disturb me if they change it. AT ALL.

Hopefully Spike Lee will "do the right thing"

I am not really sure about this. Hopefully it will be as successful as the evil dead remake, but chances are it is going to be quite hard for him to pull it off.

Thought the trailer was shitty. I don't know there was something off about it. Either way not excited about it and in my opinion it never should of been made, but I will still give it a shot and maybe it will be alright. I give everything a chance I have to say I for one hated the Evil Dead remake I thought it was awful.

Last edited by KillerClown (2013-07-14 00:04:36)

I for one didn't like the original that much so for me it will be interesting to see how this remake turns out.

BubRub wrote:

PunBB bbcode test
Trailer

I'm really hoping they stick to the original's story line and shoot the hallway fight scene in one shot. If they don't do this I'll be seriously disappointed in everyone involved. What do you guys think?

I'm guessing that pic is photoshopped ?
http://dvdmedia.ign.com/dvd/image/article/656/656199/oldboy-20051005020105686-000.jpg

These are really tough shoes for an actor to fill. I can't imagine anyonewho could bring such gravity to the role as Choi Min Sik. Just watched the original for the first time the other week- I had no idea how good this movie would be! I've never had this intense a reaction to a movie before. This has become one of my top 5 all-time favs of any genre (it's up there with Star Wars and Brazil on my list) It works on so many levels. There's much more depth to it than simple revenge.

Oh Dae-Su (that's how the subtitles spelled his name) is such a complex role- he's enraged, determined, but also something of a buffoon and not just at the beginning when he's drunk. A little of the buffoon shows thru even at the end. (the rest of my post got deleted somehow)

Last edited by Sutekh (2013-09-17 19:27:33)

BubRub wrote:

Hopefully Spike Lee will "do the right thing"

haha...i concure

ponger4d wrote:

I am not really sure about this. Hopefully it will be as successful as the evil dead remake, but chances are it is going to be quite hard for him to pull it off.

Oh yeah, I'd be happy if it was around the quality of that remake.

I'll try and go in with an optimistic attitude and distance (as much as possible) the original in my mind and enjoy it for what it is.

Two word...

Go Away!

The original is my favourite Korean film I'm not just bashing remakes either. I have some hopes for it. But I just don't think it'll translate.

BubRub wrote:

PunBB bbcode test
Trailer

I love that scene too.

It's been a few years now since I watched it in its entirety, but I feel like Oh Dae-su didn't really make it clear to Mi-do that he was looking for his daughter. It came as a shock when he discovered who she was.

SPOILER ALERT:
Am I wrong? Was Mi-do in to help him find the daughter? Like Olsen's character clearly says she's going to do? Wouldn't she be like - hey I lost my dad and mom and was adopted - maybe you're my Dad. The timelines coincide?