Topic: An Ode To Del Toro

This guy never missed yet. And probebly never will.
Damn, he's the one behind H3LLBOY so...
And his Pan Labyrinth's monster is the creepiest on I've ever seen.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_liorj5v6Bz1qh2qe6o1_400.jpg

And The Ordhanage was so damn freaky man, so I can wait to see what he's done with Pacific Rim looks amazing. Damn, I'm a fan of Rinko Kikuchi so it cannot be bad.
And well, Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark, Julia's Eyes and most of everything he has done are masterpieces. The guy just RULES!!!
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0868219/

Re: An Ode To Del Toro

Love Del Toro.  Makes some of the most lyrical and visually beautiful horror films around.  I think my personal favorite is The Devil's Backbone, but really, this dude has yet to make a genre flick I didn't enjoy thoroughly.

^^^
Yeah it's another one that is fantastic. The way he puts up his cinematography is truely legendary. So emotional his images are. Not to talk about his stories...

He's very visual, which is great and something I appreciate a lot.

I remember Del Toro discussing the movie Candyman and he used the word "totemic" to describe Bernard Rose's visuals in that flick, and it's a word that could just as easily apply to Del Toro's own stuff.  Yeah, he makes Hollywood blockbuster popcorn flicks like Pacific Rim, Blade 2 and Hellboy, but even in those flicks he goes out of his way to make even ugliness look beautiful.  A lot of is images and visuals just burn themselves into your memory.  For instance I thought his design for Abe Sapien is Hellboy was just gorgeous, then there's the visual of the little boy ghost with the blood floating out of his head from The Devil's Backbone, the super-perverse sucking mechanisms of the super-vamps from Blade 2...he even makes disgusting stuff fascinating to look at.  And I can talk about his use of symbolism in his films all day long.

The genre needs more filmmakers like him, and less filmmakers like Adam sucky-ass Green.

I don't mean to sound...mean here, but how did Adam Green even get into the film industry to begin with? He has made such crappy movies, one after another after another. I just don't get any of his movies. Even Frozen which he wrote, he missed a lot of opportunities with that film.

I know this is about Del Toro, but Adam Green sucks and it baffles me he even got into the industry to begin with.

My point exactly.  Less filmmakers like him, please.  More like Del Toro -- i.e., those with a precise and unique approach to genre filmmaking.

Man, PACIFIC FUCKING RIM!!!
Utter blast, total insanely killer crazy action monsters and mad visuals. Yep the guy RULES!!!

I love how he sets up an amazing atmosphere where you feel really not confortable, Mama is a good example of that but The Ophanage even more. I truely love him.

LoudLon wrote:

The genre needs more filmmakers like him, and less filmmakers like Adam sucky-ass Green.

Scavenger of Human Sorrow wrote:

I know this is about Del Toro, but Adam Green sucks and it baffles me he even got into the industry to begin with.

I like both Del Toro and Adam Green but they are like comparing apples to oranges.

I'm saying Adam Green in general, is a crap film maker. Comparing him to any other mediocre film maker, he is still crap. I'm not comparing him to Del Toro, not at all.

I'm just saying he is bad in general.

Last edited by Scavenger of Human Sorrow (2013-07-16 16:19:27)

Can't wait for Criterion's edition of The Devils Backbone to come out.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Criterion-Colle … B00CEIOH3M

^^^
Oh woah, that'll be cool like mad.
Thanks for the heads up buddy!!!

^

No probs. I wasn't sure if anyone else knew about it so I thought it was a suitable thread to bring it up.

Last edited by Vasquez (2013-07-17 06:34:06)

^^^
Indeed. smile

A lot of film critics say Pan's Labyrinth is his masterpiece but for me it is his overlooked The Devils Backbone.