Topic: The Ring, did it scare you?

I don't get scared particularly easily, and most horror movies don't scare me at all, but I have to make an exception for The Ring.  I suppose much of the movie doesn't really scare me, but a few things do.  It's the part when the mom of the first victim says "I saw her face" and then you see her daughter's horribly deformed visage.  I have to say that part scared the hell out of me, and I yelled out "JESUS!" when I saw it.  I can't remember exactly what it looked like, thankfully.  To this day I have to sleep with the light on in my closet, I can't sleep in the dark!  Has something ever scared you in the long term like that, for years after?  The other part that unsettles me is when the horse gets caught in the propellers of the boat and you just see all this blood pour out the other side.

If the movie didn't scare you, I suppose I can see why.  But those couple parts of the movie have really disturbed me tremendously.  I was just thinking about it while lying in bed recently, trying to sleep in the dark again, but I couldn't.  I have to turn the closet light on.  I also have to check the closet to make sure the first victim, mentioned above, isn't in there.  Gah!  I hope this one day will trouble me no longer.

EDIT: Half of my post wasn't there when I posted this thread.  The rest of it is up now.

Last edited by Reaper978 (2013-07-18 22:56:15)

Re: The Ring, did it scare you?

It's a glitch that happens from time to time.  Nothing we can do about it, unfortunately.  hmm

As for The Ring, it didn't do anything for me.  Probably because I had already seen the superior (IMO) Japanese original, which actually DID scare me.

Posts here get cut off for a variety of reasons, but usually its that a significant time has passed since the post being started till its finished.  Its a bug, probably won't be fixed anytime soon, and its nothing personal.

I don't remember The Ring scaring me too much.  The TV scene freaked me out.  To me, there are two kinds of scares; those that happen during the movie, and those that last when you leave.  The latter are the ones that really affect me.  The Ring had a few scares during the movie, but not much that stuck with me.

That said, I'm not knocking it.  Think it was a good movie.

Welcome to HM.  Feel free to introduce yourself.

When I first saw the ring it did scare me a bit, mostly the shocking quick cuts and jump scares, which I remember stood out at the time to me. But watching it more recently it doesn't contain nearly as many jump scares as newer movies tend to, and has some cool eerie atmostphere and surreal imagery. I've still never seen Ringu. It's tough to find the DVD these days.

Oh man, oh man, oh man. I'm a die hard fan of The Ring. In fact, Samara is my wife. lol
Kidding aside, yes it did scare me. the video is the creepiest thing I've seen in a long time and it's still up there as far as scares go. The creepiest part for me is when she finished coming out of the TV, just before she attacks him, the look she's got is freaky as mad. Also when Naomi [who is amazing in it] has the cable coming out of her mouth. Sick. To me it's one of my all times favorite flicks ever.

And I like it way much more than Ringu, Sadako isn't as frightening as her.

That's the look I'm talking about.

http://timeentertainment.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/new-line.jpg?w=480&h=320&crop=1

Last edited by kXnPunk (2013-07-18 23:32:57)

I can't take The Ring serious after it being parodied in Scary Movie 3. I just can't get the thought of Brenda bitch slapping Samara out of my mind. lol

I saw Ringu first, so the effect was dulled for me.  I suppose it would have scared me if I saw Ring first.

Tripod wrote:

I can't take The Ring serious after it being parodied in Scary Movie 3. I just can't get the thought of Brenda bitch slapping Samara out of my mind. lol

Haha yeah, definitely the same for me. But I did see The Ring early on, before I had seen Ringu as well. That's part of the reason why I like it more. It would most likely be the other way around if I had seen Ringu first (although this wasn't the case with me for The Grudge and Ju-on).

EDIT: PS, it's good practice around here to just hit CTRL+A and then CTRL+C after you write up an especially wordy post so you have it copied. Never know when that forum monster will gobble up your words! It has gotten me a bunch of times.

Last edited by Chomper (2013-07-20 07:56:20)

^^^
Strange it never happens to me and boy do I spend lotsa time to write some.

I must be weird because I saw Ringu first and I still prefer The Ring WAY MUCH MORE. Sadako isn't scary at all to me but damn Samara freaks me out. She's my favorite Horror movie Ghost EVER!!!

'The Ring, did it scare you?'

No, not my type of horror.

The Ring didn't scarce me, Decent remake I say

I loved Ringu (1998) ,That made me Jump a cross the room,  Cause I was sit on floor right next to the TV!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_GQO1oWEwg

The remake - no

The original - To a limited degree, yes.

Never seen the remake, nor do I feel the need to watch it once I seen the original.

The originally did scare me a bit, but not totally 'freaking me out'.

The original - yes.

The remake - hell yes.

the closet scene got to me too.  watched it in the theater and combination of the deformed face and the sudden, chilling sound effect freaked me out for weeks.

When Naomi gets in Morgan's house and she watches Samara in the Psych ward tapes. was so full of tension. And when they go into her room up there in the barn, H3LL, one of my friend has the exact same TV in his room. Was even creepier for me.

What was the closet scene?  I don't remember it.  Was it one of the scenes form the actual tape?

At the beginning of the film, the 2 girls in the room. Then after she goes up and there's water coming of of the bathroom door, after that. After the funeral with all the people in the house when she's dead, the mom and Naomi go in her room and she sees her daughter twisted in the closet.