Re: Last horror movie you watched?

MoonRaven wrote:
Haunted_October wrote:

The Conjuring. Really loved it!

It's trending on twitter.
I was reading some of the comments and people were saying it was scary.
Scariest they have seen like ever.

There were some great scary scenes, ones that didn't seem overdone or predictable. The acting was great- I love Lili Taylor anyway and she didn't disappoint in this movie. The younger actresses- the children- did a very good job as well.

IMO, The Conjuring is one of the best, truly creepy movies that's been released in a long time. Well worth the money to see it in the theatre.

Last edited by Haunted_October (2013-07-21 08:18:15)

^ Another 12  more days to wait for that movie to come out in UK

I really looked forward, I can't wait for it,

Suspiria_89 wrote:

Evil Dead 2013 - I stand by my original rating of 9/10. Seemed even bloodier the second time around.

Yeah that was my rating too. At first I thought I was too pumped and may have inflated the rating, but nope, I'm sticking by mine too. Thought it was a blast, and I still love the original. Why not both?

And I like how it's... well... potentially a spoilery statement here (for anyone who wants to avert their gaze now)...

--- It's a sequel, not a remake (despite some differences to the deadites).

The Stuff - Killer ice cream (kind of) and exploding faces, what else do you need? 8/10

Haunted_October wrote:
MoonRaven wrote:
Haunted_October wrote:

The Conjuring. Really loved it!

It's trending on twitter.
I was reading some of the comments and people were saying it was scary.
Scariest they have seen like ever.

There were some great scary scenes, ones that didn't seem overdone or predictable. The acting was great- I love Lili Taylor anyway and she didn't disappoint in this movie. The younger actresses- the children- did a very good job as well.

IMO, The Conjuring is one of the best, truly creepy movies that's been released in a long time. Well worth the money to see it in the theatre.

That's good to know. You don't see movies like that come around too often.

^^^
Very sweet. Next week it'll show here. Oh yes.

DOPPELGANGER [1993]

Well it's Drew Barrymore that I've always loved so much it's just nuts in a pretty cool one with a great atmosphere and beautiful cinematography. Some pretty damn cool scenes like when her new roomate dreams that she's crucified to the wall in her room or the dripping blood shower. Nice story with some cool twists.

Fun one that was, glad I bought this. smile

They were on a Shark deal on one of my TV channels. They showed a bunch of them all week end long. And the only one I hadn't seen just finished.

SWAMP SHARK [2011]

Pretty cool storyline, character development and very nice effects.
Kristy Swanson was very good. Pretty Bloody fun one with a story different from all others, kinda reminds me of Shark Night but still different enough. I liked it.

The Shinning right now. Perfect horror movie weather right now which is odd for LA.

Phantasm II
Not really my cup of tea. Thought of watching the whole franchise, but the description on Phantasm III sounds EXACTLY like what happenede in II. Not really sure that I want to go on.

Masters of Horror: Dreams in the Witch-House
Gordon Goodness. Good Gordoness.

^ I don't like recommending to avoid movies, but if you didn't care for Phantasm II then you most likely won't enjoy the third one. I thought the 2nd movie was fun, but the third one was just okay - though we did get to see a lot more action with Reggie's sweet gun.

Evil Dead (2013, Re-Watch) - 9/10

My second go watching it, still think it's a great remake. What an amazing ending to a film, too. That was some really well done, old-school special effects.

Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter ( 2012). this was a lot better than i expected. 8/10.

Chomper wrote:

^ I don't like recommending to avoid movies, but if you didn't care for Phantasm II then you most likely won't enjoy the third one. I thought the 2nd movie was fun, but the third one was just okay - though we did get to see a lot more action with Reggie's sweet gun.

Couldn't decide between more Phantasm or another Masters episode. So I compromised, and watched Incidents on and off a mountain road.

The Legend of Hell House (1973)

Directed by John Hough and written by Richard Matheson who also wrote the novel this film is based on called 'Hell House'. The films plot is a group of people consisting of a psychic, a previous survivor that investigated the house before and a physist and his wife are sent to investigate the Hell House to determine if there is survival after death. They stay there for a week in isolation to try to solve it.

Overall a good  British horror gem from the 70s. The writing was great and so was the directing. The acting was surprisingly good and held up mainly through it. The cinematography was amazing with really creepy EXT. shots of the Hell House with fog surrounding it. The atmosphere gave the film a surreal and nightmarish quality.  It takes it's time to develop the characters and the backstory of the house and it slowly and successfully builds tension. It may seem like it drags on sometimes and the ending is lacking.

Good horror film though, it has it's flaws but  it doesn't rely on cheap jump scares and massive amounts of gore to scare you like most horror films do today. 7/10 Check it out! smile

^^^ Big fan of that flick, and its source novel as well.  Roddy McDowell's performance is outstanding.

Would You Rather 2012

i'll take what's behind door number 3 Monty, i got kind of bored with this one, it was okay

PLAN 9 FROM OUTER SPACE [1959] rewatch

What a great classic this is. It's Bela Lugosi last appearance on film as he was already dead when it got out, he died in 1956 but Ed Wood stuck in shots he'd taken before. Also features the amazing Vampira alias Maila Nurmi and man, she's wild in this. What a great story and well beautiful images, of course it's freaking Ed Wood couldn't be otherwise.

Always loved this one and it's been a long while I haven't seen it so it was very cool. big_smile

Stoker 2013 with Kidman

The Conjuring

Dari88 wrote:

Stoker 2013 with Kidman

What a great movie this is. Kidman is phenomenal.

Turistas 2006

not too bad, a might predictable with the gore and such, still not bad

Is Stoker supernatural horror? Or just psychological?

Stoker is more thriller psychological.

Just watched Static a nice little twist on the home invasion thriller. It got better as it went along I thought. Could have had a few more thrills but a nice little ride nontheless.

A couple facing marital problems after losing their child finds their life together further complicated by a mysterious visitor.

7/10

Trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeabJRIR7lI&html5=1

(BTW It's not a horror film but went and saw The Way Way Back today and have to say it is excellent!!! A GREAT summer fun flick!! Sam Rockwell steals the movie and has some of the funniest lines going! Alison Janey was pretty damn good too! Don't miss it!!!)

Trailer for it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldFg0M9aX8I&html5=1

Last edited by JoeTerror (2013-07-23 20:21:33)

Happy Birthday to Me 1981

Why have I never heard of that movie before tonight? A bit cheesy, but the best 80s slasher I've seen.