Topic: Does anyone remember the name of this early 80s horror movie?

I saw it on either HBO or Showtime in what I'm almost certain was the year 1984;  it wasn't an old movie, it seemed, so it probably came out around 1982 or '83.  It could've been from the late 1970s, but I doubt it - it had rather an 80s feel.

It was about some guy who had weird experiments conducted on him, and thus became a very powerful being of sorts. I recall so little about it, except for this one scene towards the end:

Several people are hiding (from the man/creature) in this sort of building on the edge of town. One of them is the corrupt Mayor of the town. Oddly and quite jarringly, the Mayor suddenly removes his wig (there'd been no previous indication he was sportin' a Lex Luther hairdo). A few moments later, the antagonist lunges (with just his arms) through the walls of the building, grabs the head of the mayor, and pulls it off and outside (I seem to recall little jets of blood emitting from his neck).

Probably a pretty crappy movie, but I don't completely trust my 14-year old's evaluation from 29 years ago.  It had sci-fi elements, but seemed to be pretty definitively a horror film.

Ring a bell for anyone?

Re: Does anyone remember the name of this early 80s horror movie?

Doesn't ring a bell for me. I grew up with HBO back then from 1983 to 1989. Saw the best movies such as lost boys, odd jobs, INNERSPACE, monster squad and a rare airing of the directors cut of Aliens back then.

I also saw some weird stuff too late at night on HBO too back then

Yeah, this is a fairly obscure, doubtless rather low-budget film, not some big Hollywood blockbuster like "The Lost Boys."

For about half a second I thought it might be The Vindicator (aka Frankenstein '88) but that's not it.  Did the guy who was experimented on still look human, or was he some kind of mutated freak?  It does sound vaguely familiar but without a bit more detail I won't be of much help with this one. hmm

Sounds like  The Beast Within (1982)

I have to look into it a little further to be certain, but I'm about 90 percent certain that "The Beast Within" is correct.  I've been wondering about the name of that film since the Reagan administration, so thanks!

Yeah, that's definitely the right movie.  I will be watching it again as soon as Netflix sends me the DVD.

HM +1, zero days since being stumped.  big_smile
(I should keep better stats)

Nice one, hostel.  I wouldn't have got that one.  All I remember about The Beast Within is "woman raped by swamp monster gives birth to boy who turns into a creature" and an occasional decent make-up effect.  The bit with the mayor with the from-out-of-nowhere wig, I have absolutely no recollection of. lol

Score one for the H man. smile

Well done hostel2006 - I know I'm late to the party here but I can categorically verify that 'The Beast Within' is the correct answer. DAMN! If I was around earlier I'd have solved this but hostel2006 beat me to it. I've seen it and it is 100% absolutely definitely the one you're looking for and if not I'll eat Lon's hat. lol

Gotta love Ronny Cox lol
Glad to be of help

Last edited by hostel2006 (2013-07-22 23:16:08)