Topic: Deadly Blessing (1981)

One of Wes Craven's most overlooked and underrated films! it's a gothic slasher thriller set in Amish country which was the first horror film to be set in Amish Country about a married woman who's husband was a member of an Amish-like religious cult and he gets killed yet bodies including members of the Hittites are dropping like flies.

It stars Sharon Stone in it with Ernest Borgnine doing a fantastic performance in it plus Michael Barryman as a deformed mentally challenged Hittie, a moody and atmospheric film with chills. I rented this movie when i was 5 and thought it was creepy, i had this on a blank tape for years as it's one of my most requested movies to be on DVD and Scream Factory FINALLY released it on DVD and yet even better blu-ray as they did a solid job with it even with quality picture/sound and nice extras.

Last edited by TomServoFan (2013-05-03 15:22:58)

Re: Deadly Blessing (1981)

Good movie. I watched it a few weeks ago on netflix and really liked it.

I bought the Arrow Video version not long ago. I agree a overlooked film that is no means outstanding but is quite impressive in elements. Definitely worth a look for all Horror fans.

Are the hitties related to the amish and hutterites? i mean their name is quite derivative of hutterites you know.

I remember back in '81, the commercials for this movie scared me so much that I could barely remain in the living room when they came on.  Anyhoo, I saw it a few weeks ago (for the first time), and it wasn't that great.  Still something a devoted horror fan should probably see, however.

I picked up the blu ray for this one not that long ago.  It looks great.  Ernest Borgnine is fantastic as always.

^^^
Sweet buy. Yes, Borgnine is an amazing actor.

But Deadly Blessing is such an amazing movie. I believe it's the first role ever for Sharon and boy she did an incredible job. One of my top Horror flicks of all times this is.

I just picked up the Shout Factory DVD recently, they didn't have the blu-ray at the HMV, haven't gotten around to watching it yet though.

watched it last night strangely enough the arrow dvd version. hadn't seen it for ages and it's still not bad. some good moments and a couple of scenes e .g the bath scene and the scene with the spider look like a practice run for "Nightmare ON Elm  street. it was Sharon Stone's first credited role and first film she had dialogue, she had appeared very quickly and uncredited in two films before. She looks good but is outdone in the sexy stakes by Mara Jensen ( why this woman never made any more films i don't know). film's ending is always knocked and is a little strange but film overall is watchable and Craven did plenty worse. 7/10

Last edited by wolfman1959 (2013-07-23 14:15:59)

Never actually seen this one, will have to check it out. Sometimes I'm torn on Craven's movies, but he's put some great ones out there.

This was on Netflix awhile back...thats how I seen it. I thought it was okay but didn't hold my attention well the whole time. I'll give it another shot one of these days.

Seen it myself not so long ago. It really drags around the beginning and kind of picks up somewhat in the later half. Fairly slow burn with not a whole lot going for it, but the ending scene (whilst ridiculous and also probably thrown in without everyone's approval) looked kind of neat.

^^^
Yeah it's definitely a very slow one but worth seeing just for Sharon's performance. One of her first ever if not the very first.

Liked but didn't love it.  Thought it was worth seeing, but not a must-see.  Not among Craven's worst.

Not seen this yet, it on my watch list ATM