Topic: Good Reads and Science Fiction

So I sometimes visit another website called goodreads.com. It's a website devoted to books and authors, it has tons of forums, giveaways and excellent cataloging systems for collectors. Although I am more of a horror and fantasy fan, I have recently created a goodreads group devoted to the evolution of sci fi. We will go through each decade starting with Jules Verne until we arrive at the present. For me it will be a learning process as I am not that familiar with much sci fi. If you feel like checking us out here's the link:
https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/10 … ce-fiction

Re: Good Reads and Science Fiction

I love Goodreads been a member since a little while and I dig it. Extremely useful for any reader. H3LL, it's the Book's IMDb. lol

And I recommend these ones to you if you haven't read them yet.
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/14 … e-yourself

Freaking Hyperion KILLS!!!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperion_(Simmons_novel)

Last edited by kXnPunk (2013-07-25 05:22:06)

Hey, thanks for joining up Punk! Hyperion is definitely on the list of To-Read books, a buddy of mine leant me it a little while ago. Unfortunately at the rate this group is liable to go I won't be reading it til next year.

I just signed up to your group.  Neat project.

edit- I put Peter Hamilton's Night's Dawn Trilogy in my post.

Last edited by azathoth (2013-07-25 12:49:19)

Welcome aboard azathoth.

It's really a neat little spot.
The only thing I hate is that it will take me an eternity to put all the ones I've read on my shelves. A life long project, I like that. lol

I just picked up the 2nd Foundation trilogy (our used book store was going out of business) along with some others.  (Have you read the Red/Green/Blue Mars trilogy?)

I just remembered, El Capitano turned me on to The Aldenata series.  Earth gets f'd up, we take it to the galaxy, suckers. 

Also a big fan of the Halo books.  It's mostly military blow-up-stuff, but I like some light invading-a-planet reading once in a while.

And then you could do Rama, Ringworld, Dune, Modesitt's books, Dennis McKiernan's works (like Tolkien, with his own twist.  And MUCH easier to read, lol ), ...
Um, where was I again?

^^^
Into great books. lol

Loved Ringworld.

Wondering if St-Exupery's Le Petit Prince could be considered as Sci-Fi. I guess so he travels from planet to planet.

I haven't read that one, but from the Wiki it sounds like it qualifies.  You French monkey...

http://vintagepostcardshop.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/431-2-monkey-painting-cat-kitten-vintage-postcard.jpg

(Yeah yeah, Canada, I know tongue )

Last edited by azathoth (2013-07-25 15:24:10)

One of the best books ever.

We see good only with the heart says the fox to him in it. Wonderful moral.

Hahaha Cool painting monkey. French, Canada the same thing. We own Canada and it's lakes and forests, us the Quebeckers. lol

Jules Verne From Earth To Moon is the first Sci-Fi thing I read. Was like 8 if I remember well.

The cover always fascinated me.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/4ced18d95f4005ccf1aef834116fd21a/tumblr_mhgmjcMa8O1rtynt1o1_500.jpg

Last edited by kXnPunk (2013-07-25 16:19:38)

^^
Oddly, I came across that very pic while looking up my reply.

Here's one you may not have run across-

Brin's Uplift Saga.  Crazy speculative science (spinning a circle of neutron stars to create a wormhole?!).

The pic I used for the forum is inspired by A Trip to the Moon.

Azzy, I just pick up the first Rama book. I am looking forward to reading it.

^^
Just a little warning- the 1st Rama book is a fair bit different from the rest of the series.  Not better or worse, just a different tone, so if you're not thrilled with Rendezvous the rest have a more reader-friendly flavor to them.

Hard to explain.  But Vampy liked the entire series, so there you go.

azathoth, only read Startide Uprising from Uplift. Very enjoyable.

Yes Theli but From Earth to Moon and Trip To The Moon are 2 different things. The only thing they have in common is the Moon. Which is better than nothing. All that to say that I like the Evolution Of Sci-Fi's pict a lot. Perfect.

Last edited by kXnPunk (2013-07-25 17:22:11)

azathoth wrote:

^^
Just a little warning- the 1st Rama book is a fair bit different from the rest of the series.  Not better or worse, just a different tone, so if you're not thrilled with Rendezvous the rest have a more reader-friendly flavor to them.

Hard to explain.  But Vampy liked the entire series, so there you go.

Rendezvous with Rama is an awesome book! Can't say much for the rest of them, though. When I read through them I felt like I didn't need the mystery of the cylinder thing to be solved after all.  I didn't appreciate the more reader-friendly style either.

Science Fiction is one of my favourite genres in literature, but I find that it's pretty hard to find decent novels that aren't space-fantasy. And when browsing the sci-fi section in a book store most of what I see is those god awful Star Wars fanfic novels, or Halo, or Aliens vs Predator... just so much crap!

Anyway, my two favourite sci-fi authors: H.G Wells, and David Gerrold. One classic and one modern.
David Gerrold wrote a few episodes for the original Star Trek series, actually. I think the  Tribble episode is one of his if I'm not mistaken. He also wrote "The Martian Child," which was made into a movie with John Cusack, and which I will not watch EVER because they made Cusack's character straight. Part of the whole point of that book is chronicling a gay man's experiences as the single father of an adopted child. So, book yes, movie no.

He also wrote a book called "The Man Who Folded Himself," about a guy who inherits a time traveling belt from his uncle, and hijinks ensue when he meets and interacts with hundreds of different versions of himself. Great read!

As for H.G. Wells. Everything he wrote is pure gold.

Last edited by NonEuclidean (2013-07-25 21:24:46)

^^
Brin, Bear, Clarke, Niven, Pournell, Pohl, Baxter, Bova (that's a lot of "B"s!), Anderson, Saberhegen are all good hard sci-fi writers.

Bravo Badass Bunch Of Bloody Brilliant Butchers of words. big_smile
CLarke oh yeah Clarke rules.
Cool list monkey man boy dude.

Man, there is so much, but that's a good thing, so much to look forward to.

Indeed. So much to read so little time.
Damn internet. lol

So I might just keep this updated every now and again if anyone is interested in joining a group read I will post them here.

Oddly enough our first read is going to be more of a horror novel than a sci-fi one, nonetheless it's started many conventions used since in sci-fi and is apparently regarded as the first science fiction novel. And that book is to be Mary Shelley's Frankenstein.

Last edited by Theli (2013-07-30 18:55:15)

If you guys haven't done so already try The Cosmic Computer by H. Beam Piper.

^^^
Oh yes, definitely an amazing read.

Well Frankenstein is done, and it was a fantastic read. The discussions on the website were very enlightening and added to the enjoyment as well. Up next is Jules Verne's From the Earth to the Moon, which I am really excited to read. While Frankenstein was awesome it didn't feel sci-fi, I'm looking forward to some space travel. A new poll will be opening tomorrow as well, the vote for the October read, the theme is H.G. Wells.

Last edited by Theli (2013-09-01 01:24:20)

I need to get over there more.
Almost done with Niven & Pournelle's The Gripping Hand, the sequel to The Mote in God's Eye.

Yeah i'd love to see you and Punk around more. Especially with your wealth of knowledge of sci fi. I'm only just beginning. Always read more fantasy. I know Punk joined us for the Frankenstein read and loved it, so did I. A friend of mine also joined for the read and now has to re-read it in his lit class at University.