Topic: Worst Directors

In a attempt not to derail a separate thread I'll ask the question, Who are among the worst directors in the genre? People so bad at their job it is a mystery as to why they are in the industry. Also please state some examples of the films that earned them their title.

---
For me the winner is Uwe Boll, which should be no surprise.
Everything he has ever done was awful.
House of the Dead
BloodRayne
Alone in the Dark
....Blubberella

Another winner, or loser depending on how you look at it, would be Joe Castro. He's not really known for anything, other than probably living in his parents basement, but earns my vote because he directed the worst movie I have ever seen, Terror Toons. And then, as if the first one wasn't enough, he created Terror Toons 2.

Re: Worst Directors

No point beating around the bush considering we talked in the other thread, I nominate Adam Green. If you took him out of the genre completely, what would we miss exactly? Nothing, he makes bogus movies that have no flare and are hardly original.

I seen him in interviews before and he goes on about Hatchet as if it is brilliant, it's just a cash in on everything done in slashers before in more of a crappy way.

He's surely up there.

I used to dislike Eli Roth quite a lot, especially after he said this in regards to a once planned remake of The Bad Seed (1956)

"The original was a great psychological thriller, and we are going to bastardize and exploit it, ramping up the body counts and killings," said Roth. "This is going to be scary, bloody fun, and we're going to create the next horror icon, a la Freddy, Jason and Chucky. She's this cunning, adorable kid who loves to kill, but also loves 'N Sync."

Plus he had the arrogance to criticise his fans for not supporting Hostel Part 2.

Yet in other interviews he seems to be an alright guy who is knowledgeable about the genre - though perhaps doesn't respect its history as much as he should.

Saying that he appears to be a prominent figure in a worrying recent trend in horror that seems to above all focus on gore, for shock sake, above original storytelling etc.

Last edited by Vasquez (2013-07-16 18:52:24)

I think Adam Green is way over hyped but I have to disagree with him being one of the worst. Frozen was very watchable and I remember being impressed that a full length movie that takes place on a ski slope elevator was entertaining at all. Also he wrote and directed "The Diary of Anne Frankenstein" from Chillerama. The short story was one of the more entertaining stories in the movie.

I'm pretty sure he's most well know for Hatchet though...which is a pile of shit, but someone must like it if they made 3.

Vasquez wrote:

Eli Roth

I was thinking about mentioning him but feared that I'd be kicked off the boards lol.
I like Hostel but I haven't liked any of his other films

I also thought about Rob Zombie base solely on his writing skills...or lack there of.

I'd throw Rob Zombie up there too, based on his remakes of Halloween. lol

Bill Zebub.  Just awful, awful films.  I gave one of his a -1/10.

Todd Sheets, another low-low-budget crapmeister.

Might as well round it out with Bruno Mattei.

Uwe Boll tops the list for me easily.

I thought that Hatchet was fun and love Spiral so Adam Green gets a pass from me as far as being "the worst". Actually when it comes to bad directors I think that Tobe Hooper is one of the most over-rated directors in the genre. I think that the original TCM is pretty blah and the only movie of his that I find even remotely watchable is Poltergeist and it's really just ok.

William Friedkin
Made the worst movie in the history of cinema for me without any doubt.
I like Uwe Boll's Bloodrayne and others WAY MUCH MORE than that crap.
Bad, extremely bad.

My own humble personal opinion. Of course.

Last edited by kXnPunk (2013-07-26 01:55:14)

kXnPunk wrote:

William Friedkin
Bad, extremely bad.

Which Friedkin film are you referring to? Surely can't be The Exorcist (1973).

Funny you mention Adam Green, Ben.  His was one of the first names to pop into my head when I read the title of this thread. lol

I'll also include...

Uwe Boll
Tim Ritter
Wilbur Scott
Ron Bonk (though his SOV flick The Vicious Sweet wasn't too bad)
Ron Atkins
Ulli Lommel
Bruno Mattei
Todd Sheets
David DeCoteau
Jean Rollin (I know he has his fans, but I'm far from one of them)
Jess Franco (same as above)
Kevin Lindenmuth

And so many more I just don't want to bother with right now... lol

Vasquez wrote:

Yes it is. Can't stand it. Bad, baddest of the bad.

FOR ME... Hey yes, I'm weird.

Last edited by kXnPunk (2013-07-26 02:38:30)

I love Eli Roth, so I won't agree there.

For me, it's Rob Zombie. Guy is a cancer, but saying that would be an insult to cancer.

Ho1000C was horrible. DR was just bad. Halloween I never got through. He needs to die in a fire, and bring his talentless wife with him. Then again, once he's gone, nobody else will give her work, so...

^ Is there really a need to say 'He needs to die in a fire, and bring his talentless wife with him'? There is other ways you can express your hate for him, without hoping he passes away.

kXnPunk wrote:
Vasquez wrote:

You just earned your nomination for the craziest guy on the site. I don't think it is the bonafide masterpiece quite a lot of people think it is, but to say it is the worst horror film ever is MADNESS!

^ It's all down to opinion, but it would be like saying Jaws 3 is better than The Exorcist, which is pretty crazy, lol.

But of course, everyone has a different opinion. smile

kXnPunk wrote:
Vasquez wrote:

you sir have dropped a few rungs on my good guys ladder! smile

for me the worst i know of is A ndy Milligan. his films are hideous!

I was going to give Punk some crap for hating The Exorcist then remembered -- I hate Jaws. 

<--- no room to talk whatsoever. lol

LoudLon wrote:

I was going to give Punk some crap for hating The Exorcist then remembered -- I hate Jaws. 

yeah i know you hate Jaws and that's my favourite film ever so far, so you ought to know i always look at you with a scowl mr Lonnie !! wink

It's not the worst face I've been looked at with.  You should see the look I get from a woman seeing me naked for the first time.  Kind of a cross between "Ew!" and "Oh, you poor thing..."

hmm

^^
Dirty, feel so dirty, need to be cleansed...

http://25.media.tumblr.com/AZm9Ncyg54tubu9uGPyzbmLH_500.jpg

I am what I am and don't plan to change any time soon.

I'm mad and I actually enjoy it. Even more unique that way.

And I don't follow anyone, I'm a black sheep, a rebel, an anarchist so I have very straight opinions about eveything. Like that movie I hate.

And yeah LoudLon strange that you hate Jaws for me but everyone has their own opinions whatever they are.

Gimme that Windex bootle, I'm thirsty. lol

Last edited by kXnPunk (2013-07-26 16:06:38)

kXnPunk wrote:

William Friedkin
Bad, extremely bad.

You are officially cut off my friend.  Ha jk but Friedkin??? The director of FRENCH CONNECTION which happens to be one of the greatest crime movies of all time. 

Friedkins To Live and Die in LA happens to be another movie he did that is really great starring William Peterson and Willam Dafoe. 

Exocist just happens to be one of the best directed Horror movies of all time.  We are talking DIRECTION here and if you can't realize that Friedkin's direction is top notch then man...I dno what to say. 

Did this guy really say Friedkin??

LoudLon wrote:

Ha yea very similar...

Two of the best directed movies of all time.  Lets not even think about the stories.  Lets just talk about the shots for a minute.  THE DIRECTION.  Two of America's best in their prime.  Not trying to argue but let's just discuss.  How can you not appreciate the shots in both of those movies?  Maybe you don't like the story for whatever reason but maaan.  These directors were oozing talent at this time and it shows whether you hate the movie's or not.

Hating Exorcist is a little different than hating Jaws just in the sense that Jaws is not nearly as shocking and gross and ridiculous as Exorcist.  Jaws is very ridiculous, but it isn't a girl stabbing herself with a crucifix. 

Jaws is 1975 Spielberg.  He literally helped change cinema with that movie just on how good it looked.  Some of the Ocean shots look like they were shot yesterday not almost 35 years ago.  Star Wars came along and helped change Cinema as well, as did Friedkins 1971 French Connection.  There are so many positives to take from Jaws for example even if you don't like the movie as a whole.  Disliking Jaws is one thing. Hating it is in another.  Not being able to realize it's brilliance in regards to movie making is just a whole nothing beast.

Last edited by ExplorerPOD (2013-07-26 18:13:20)