Topic: Do you think, you will 'outgrow' the horror genre?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F62INUxIFxo

Mark Kermode who reviews movies on BBC (who I actually really like) says in this video of his that although he is a very big horror fan, he thinks he is 'outgrowing' the horror genre now and just can't be scared anymore.

What is peoples opinions on this? I'd find it interesting.

Me personally, I think when people like us, who're very into the horror genre, since many (if not all) of us know the usual beats of a horror film, and how the directors use many of the same strategies to scare people, we just end up knowing what is going to happen. It's rare these days that a movie will literally scare the heck out of me and I can't sleep, and I hear people who aren't horror fans like we are say that, and I think "How come I am never that scared?" - But maybe it's just cause we are so invested in this genre, we know what to expect.

We can share our thoughts here.

Re: Do you think, you will 'outgrow' the horror genre?

I'm 45 and if I haven't outgrown it by now I don't see it happening.

Personally one of the things that is connected to my enjoyment of the horror film genre is the social and political themes that often, but certainly not always, are within a films narrative. And since I don't think I will ever lose my interest in politics, social issues and current affairs then it might be the same for horror films. I can emphasise with not being scared though. The last time I was truly scared with one was the first Grave Encounters. Not very old film but a little while ago. The one before that would have been The Descent.

It is true that before I really got into the horror genre I was terrified of watching, for example, the original Alien (1979). But after getting into the genre after first watching TCM 74 I could watch it without being so terrified (though when I first watched it all the way through I was a bit scared)

Last edited by Vasquez (2013-07-30 12:11:47)

possibly down the line but right now no way it's just too much fun and i'm enjoying it too much.

strider wrote:

Exactly this.

Well I'm only 30 and still love it.
My brother is 41 and still has the same passion for it as he did when he was 16.
I don't see myself growing out of it anytime soon.

Same here.  I'm 41; if I haven't outgrown it by now, I doubt I ever will.

At age 51, not a chance!

I've been a horror a fan literally since the age of three. If I haven't out grown it yet I doubt I ever will.

I was going to say exactly what you said Scav. You nailed it for me.

I won't outgrow it, I love it, it's almost all I watch (or at least 90% of what I buy). Just because it might not be able to scare me (and it never really has, not to the extent that it has to non or casual horror fans) doesn't mean I'd stop watching it. Some have strong stories, some have great gore, some have well crafted suspense and others are just fun, some are all of the above. I've seen so many and for such a large part of my life - there is always something that will keep me coming back to horror.

H3LL no. Never will happen. Never did in 44 years never will ad vitam aeternam.

Not a chance. I have many varied interests, and I kind of focus on two or three at a time, but eventually grow bored with it to a degree, and then I will move back to something else or on to something new, but I never really grow out of any of my passions. I have loved metal, and horror, comic books and fantasy related stuff for a long time, since I can remember really, so I don't think it will change.

As for being scared, it doesn't really happen anymore. Like Vasquez The Descent scared the shit out of me, and before that Suspiria, and before that The Ring. But honestly that's it, I can't think of one other horror movie that scared me. I never thought any movie could disturb me anymore, but then I saw A Serbian Film, and now I know I was wrong.

Edit: Oh and since everyone else is doing it, I'm 26.

Last edited by Theli (2013-07-30 17:39:59)

You know, I didn't think I could be scared by a movie anymore but Grave Encounters absolutely did. Been a while I hadn't been THAT scared. Probably since Blair Witch.

strider wrote:

Yeah, I'm 42, and if anything, I like it more now than I did when I was younger.

I doubt I will either I am only 22 but there is just something about horror that is just amazing and I love it and I do not see myself outgrowing it, yeah there are a lot of movies now of days that do not scare me but I still enjoy them or think they are good, just means when one does come around that scares me that it was really well done.

nope...since a little  little kid, i've been into horror...even though i was scared of the dark....had a wild imagination....i guess me watching horror made it easier to cope....kinda like confronting my fears....first horror movie i ever seen was the howling....but my fondest memory was watching The Fog with my pops....the end was burned into my head....guy getting decapitated and the sound of his falling head going with the credits song....at least thats how i remember it, haha....and IT also mesmerized me....i was also scared of clowns of course....never ever did play next to rain gutters after that....

but now instead of being scared, other than startled of course, im entertained....like instead of "that was scary" its more "that was fuckin awesome!"....creepiness, thankfully, still exists to me...

oh yea....im 26 in august....

Last edited by letschopcats666 (2013-07-30 18:58:08)

Two posts in a row with exemplary punctuation! No offense guys, I just find it funny.

^^^ comma after no offense, please....haha

Vamp_Slayer wrote:

I was going to say exactly what you said Scav. You nailed it for me.

I won't outgrow it, I love it, it's almost all I watch (or at least 90% of what I buy). Just because it might not be able to scare me (and it never really has, not to the extent that it has to non or casual horror fans) doesn't mean I'd stop watching it. Some have strong stories, some have great gore, some have well crafted suspense and others are just fun, some are all of the above. I've seen so many and for such a large part of my life - there is always something that will keep me coming back to horror.

You make a good point there. Sometimes a horror film doesn't exactly need to be scary. It can be disturbing, suspenseful, psychological, escapist, fun, sexy or plain gross depending on the sub-genre. Sometimes it can simply hold a mirror up to the real world and show us what horrors man is capable of - This is where I feel it can be most effective. Unfortunately sometimes those in charge don't want us to see these horrors but use it as a scapegoat to hide the real roots of social problems.

Take Piranha (1978), for example, which I just re-watched. Though at first glance a Roger Corman exploitation rip-off of Jaws it actually has some quite deep political themes in it concerning the Vietnam War. The mutated piranha the male scientist character created is simply a fictional version of the chemical weapons that the politicians and top military people decided to employ in real life during the Vietnam war. Agent Orange being an example. As the male scientist says the Piranha were developed to destroy the North Vietnams river system in what he calls 'operation razortooth'. Agent Orange served a similar but real life purpose in it's aim of destroying the rainforest which acted as cover for North Vietnamese troops. As the scientist character in the film says it is simply 'science in service of the defence effort'. Considering the guy, John Sayles, who wrote the film's script was a politically active student during the Vietnam war then this influence may not be a surprise.

Another example would be the excellent The Seasoning House (2012) by Paul Hyett. (Incidentally the guy who played a major part in creating the quite terrifying creatures in The Descent). The main theme in this is based on the real life and disturbing trafficking of women in conflict zones that is most likely going on as we speak. In the film this is specific to the 1992 - 1995 Bosnian conflict. It is testament to the director that the film manages to convey the horrific nature of the issue in a non-exploitative but in a hard hitting and realistic manner. I imagine the reality of the situation is beyond imagination however.

Ed Gein would be another well covered example. Heck even look at what some people call the first definitive horror film of all time, The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1920). The two guys who wrote its screenplay were former german soldiers returning from the destruction of WW1's battlefields after Germany's defeat. The distorted and abstract shapes could therefore be argued to represent this hellish environment from which they returned. It is also interesting to note that the Nazis attempted to ban a number of films during their subsequent period in power for what they saw as criticisms of their party and regime.

In a way therefore, as long as man does truly hellish things in the real world then horror cinema, as traditional horror literature before it, will always provide a potentially effective medium to highlight, face and reflect on.

Last edited by Vasquez (2013-07-30 19:48:56)

Very well said, Vamp and Vasquez.

I haven't been truly scared/frightened by a movie since "The Exorcist and Hammer Dracula movies."  Not to say that I haven't been: moved, disturbed, frightened, given goosebumps, gagged, disgusted.  But I have been thoroughly entertained, and that's what it's all about.

Please, scare me!  That's frequently all I want in a freakin movie.  Just scare me.  Honestly, it seems like movies intentionally hold back and try not to be scary.  How many times have you been watching a movie, you're kinda getting uneasy, you think something will happen...then...blah.  It doesn't.  I can think of maybe five movies that had a lasting effect on me when it came to scaring me.  I've seen thousands hoping for it.

More to the point of the OP...I don't know if I'll outgrow horror.  Its been discussed a bit here, some by me, that as I get older my taste in movies have been affected.  Now that my young daughter is getting older, there's a lot of things I won't watch now that I wouldn't of hesitated to see before.  That said, it was the first genre I fell in love with, and its still my favorite at almost forty.  I doubt I will ever outgrow it.

Nice topic Scav.  I love these topics that make us think, and offer different views for discussion.

do I think I'll ever outgrow the horror genre?  If I haven't by now, I never will.   
Am I afraid I can't be scared anymore?   No.   
Horror movies are not only about being scared, some are just fun to watch, some are more about the cool effects.  I can't see anyone growing out of the horror genre than someone suddenly growing out of the Western genre for instance.  If that's your thing you'll always be into it.
I was also into metal since I was in high school.  I never see myself suddenly saying Hey, I'm old now better start listening to Barry Manilow or Nat King Cole  !!!

Last edited by Ragnbone (2013-07-30 23:25:42)

A individual might outgrow the horror genre, but man/humanity will never outgrow horror.

I'm young but I can't see it happening. I don't watch horror because I want to be scared- I've seen every trick in the bag by now- and I never watch a horror film with that expectation. I am just passionate about the genre, I find it so exciting/interesting/compelling. I get butterflies when I go to a horror at the cinema because I love it so much.

It's like... I have a morbid curiosity and interest in the dark, macarbe and unusual that I think I'll carry with me all my life. It needs to be quenched, y'know?

Will I ever "outgrow" of the Horror genre?  Hell No!

I think anyone who says they outgrew horror movies was never a true fan to begin with.  Just because you don't feel the "scare" anymore doesn't mean you can't still enjoy a good scary movie.  I appreciate the special effects, the actors, and the storyline more as I get older.  So if anything, I have become a bigger horror fan than I used to be.  Having said that, I now expect a lot more from a film than just a few jump scares. 

I also have always been fascinated by the macabre. So I think my love of the genre is here to stay.  My books, movies, TV shows, and even my home all reflect my love of the dark.