Topic: Game of Thrones Vs Dexter?

Which Horror Series do you like most guys?? According to me both are good series but I have read a lot of positive & negative reviews till a day on both TV series..So tell me which is best according to you & why??

MotionEmpire

Re: Game of Thrones Vs Dexter?

when did "game of thrones" become a horror series?

I've never been able to get the urge to start on Dexter.  Its right there in Netflix if I want, I've heard so many good things about it, but I just am not interested.  I even had whatever movie channel it was on when it first came out, and just didn't watch it. 

Reminds me of Breaking Bad.  Same scenario, available to watch, tons of good reviews, just never got into it.  Then I finally did and its one of my all time favorite shows.

I love Game of Thrones.

***EDIT***

Ok, that's it.  I'm starting Dexter.

Last edited by Ghostseeker (2013-11-23 23:41:20)

It took till the end of the ninth episode but I am finally getting into Dexter.  Its a good show and all that, just was nothing to compel me to start the next episode till the stuff with the ex-husband and the entry of the ice truck killer into Dexters personal life.

Last edited by Ghostseeker (2013-11-28 11:28:02)

I'm almost done with season 4.  The other (later) seasons were picked up by Netflix and should be available in Jan.  I enjoy this show, mostly cuz of Dexter, and I like him.  However, I wouldn't put this show in the same category of The Walking Dead / Breaking Bad and some of the other shows I think of as some of the best ever. 

That said, its entertaining and interesting...smart and enjoyable, so not much more you could ask for.  Oh, yeah, plus some really nice boobies every few episodes. 

I'm interested to make it through the other seasons and see the series finale cuz I heard so much criticism and disappointment with it.  Curios what it is, though I hope no one spoils it for me.

Honestly, Ghostie, if I could, I would unwatch seasons 5-8 of Dexter.  Season 4 is, IMO, the absolute best season of the show, but I thought everything went downhill after that.  I would say why, but that would be a major spoiler, and I wouldn't do that to you. smile

But to address the original question, I enjoy Game of Thrones but I've yet to see a season in which every episode was memorable.  There have been a number of fantastic episodes, no doubt (especially the one with the infamous and heartbreaking "red wedding") but such episodes seem to be few and far between.  I think that like the Lord of the Rings trilogy, there's way too much walking and talking in Game of Thrones -- and this coming from a guy who doesn't typically like shows or movies that sacrifice character and dialogue for action.   

With Dexter, however, there have been at least two seasons which I think have been excellent from beginning to end (namely, seasons 2 and 4).  That alone -- notwithstanding the fact that I was routinely disappointed with the final four seasons -- makes Dexter the better show of the two, for me.

Well, I've turned this Thread into my journal of Dexter....and I don't apologize for it.  smile

Just finished season 4.  Wow, didn't see that coming.  I'm disappointed to read that Lon.  For the most part, when it comes to TV, you and I do seem to have fairly similar tastes.  I do still plan on checking out the rest.

To contradict what I wrote above, I do differ with you, Lon, about Thrones vs Dexter, as I would put Thrones above it.  However, I am in complete agreement about what you wrote about Thrones, as I bitched about it quite a bit last season.  Too many inconsequential episodes.  When a season in 10 episodes, more of them should count.  I like Thrones, quite a bit at times, but save their one blow up episode (last one before finale), in so many others nothing changed.  I'd say the first season that wasn't the case.

^^^ Actually, you got me there.  As I think of it, yes, I was completely enthralled by season 1.  I guess the inferior seasons 2 and 3 (not that they were bad per se, but they definitely weren't as good as that first season) blurred my memory of it.  But yes, I do recall now being drawn in more and more with each episode of season 1.

As for the Dexter season 4 finale, that totally broke my heart, man.  I loved Rita as a character and I hated, hated, hated that she was taken away, out of the blue, with no warning.  It was shocking, but at the same time it felt plausible in the context of the story.  I both appreciated and despised the writers for that. lol

As for the next four seasons of Dexter, there's the possibility you may enjoy them more than I did.  I can be one grudge-holding sumbitch when I want to be, and I definitely held a grudge for them taking away the lovely, lovely Julie Benz. hmm

I like Games Of Thrones much more than Dexter of which I saw the first 2 seasons and it I stopped because it bored me to Death. But I've watched all Game Of Thrones ones a few times already and can't get enough of it.

Medieval & Dragons and naked babes=something I truely LOVE so to the trash Dexter goes...

Last edited by kXnPunk (2013-12-23 00:17:46)

Y'know, it's funny, I'm as red-blooded a heterosexual male as they come (no pun intended) but I actually dislike all the sex and nudity in GoT.  Every now and then is fine, but it gets to the point sometimes when I'd like to be able to watch an episode all the way through without having to skip through that stuff when my family's here. lol

True story:  my mom and I started watching the Showtime series Ray Donovan together and it, too, has lots of sex and nudity.  My mom said "These are the screwingest bunch of people I've ever seen."  I told her, "Yeah, well, you haven't seen Game of Thrones." lol

^^^
MWAHAHAHA!!! Yeah I can see the scene pretty good in my head. lol

I get very uncomfortable watching scenes of a sexual nature around my family -- ESPECIALLY my mom.  I find myself constantly having to apologize when something like that pops up when we're watching something, even during shows or movies where it's both our first time seeing it and I have no way of knowing there was even going to BE a sex scene.  lol

^^^
Hahaha Yeah, I see the kind. Have some aunts like that.

Funny quote from your mom Lon!  Yeah, I'm totally uncomfortable with that stuff.

You know Lon, one thing I have over you (and many others here) is my total ignorance with things like screenplays, and story writing for shows in general.  Some of you guys (and gals) see stuff in shows and movies, and it bothers you, whereas I would never notice it.  Now I'm not talking about plot holes and things like that, I see that.  I can't think of an example off hand. Just things I read about storylines, and character roles...and things.  This really has nothing to do with anything, I just thought of it for some reason.  Oh yeah, and just cuz you and I for some reason have a history of misreading each other's posts...I want to add, I mean this as a compliment to you.  smile 

The thing of Game of Thrones, in this last season, something that bothers me, almost to the point of making me sick, is that dude (bad with names) who got tortured and got his privates cut off.  Man, what a sick SOB.  Curious to see where that goes.  I hate Joffrey!

^^^ No, I know what you mean.  I remember when you and I discussed the mid-season 2 finale of The Walking Dead, and I'd said I knew it was going to turn out that Sophia had been in the barn.  You asked me how I knew that and I talked about looking at the show from a writer's perspective, that that there was going to have to be a pay-off to the search for Sophia that had taken up that first half of the season in that particular episode, that the barn had to play into that pay-off, how since a TV show has a finite running time, there's no room for anything that is not absolutely pertinent to the story, blah blah blah. 

Incidentally, the "blah blah blah" is directed at me, not you, because I'm fully aware of, yet am comletely unable to reign in, my annoying tendency to over-analyze shit.:lol:

Ghostseeker wrote:

The thing of Game of Thrones, in this last season, something that bothers me, almost to the point of making me sick, is that dude (bad with names) who got tortured and got his privates cut off.  Man, what a sick SOB.  Curious to see where that goes.  I hate Joffrey!

I truely ENJOYED it. big_smile

The sicker the better for me.

But yeah, Joffrey annoys me too.

Just finished season 5 of Dexter.  Gotta say it was by far my favorite season so far.  One thing I really enjoyed was Peter Weller.  Wow, what an amazing actor.  He played his role brilliantly.  So accurate and identifiable.  Other than that, I'm not sure why I enjoyed season 5 so much more.  It was the first time we saw real emotion from Dexter, which was cool seeing him pizzed off. 

Lon - I gotta say I am glad we went separate ways on our opinion of 5.  I was worried when you wrote about not liking it.  I didn't wanna have the same opinion and force myself to watch the rest, or give up.  I'm curious to get to 6.

The reason I didn't like season 5 was because it really didn't give you-know-who's death all that much weight.  Dexter lost it a bit in a bathroom and killed some dude, sure, but as I recall, that was pretty much the extent of his grief. 

But it didn't fit.  They had it affect him the way it would have affected him if it had happened in the first season, when he was still reasonably cold and distant.  But Dexter in season 4 had grown, become more emotional, actually had genuine, deep feelings for that person.  He should have been a wreck the whole season; instead, he starts banging some rescued kidnap victim.  Not to mention that Deb would never -- NEVER -- let a killer go like she did in the final episode, regardless of how much she felt sorry for them.  That's not her, man.  Dex should have been caught in that final episode.

And that's another thing.  Dexter must have some kind of built-in, luck-based superpower that enables him to escape one close call after another with little, or no, or really bad, explanation.  Just wait 'til you watch future seasons, you'll see what I mean.

At any rate, yeah, we're split on this one, bro-seph.  Honestly, quite often I wish I wasn't so analytical.  There'd be a lot more shows out there I'd like. lol

When I talk about liking Dexter's emotion more, I particularly meant beating up the father of that kid being abused, and being genuinely pissed off about it.  I forgot about that bathroom part, but yeah I liked that too.  I like when he gets pissed.  I don't care about all that love crap, though it was kinda cool he met someone he could really identify with.

As far as getting over the death from season four...agreed.  Yeah, he meets that chick and goes on.  However, really though, that's what I see the show doing.  They gave it a few episodes then he moved on.  Not realistic, but expected, and really I don't want them dragging it out more than that and I'm sure I'm not alone.

Yeah...through out all the seasons you could definitely point to his odd luck.  You know, I could see Deb letting HER go, like if Deb just saw the girl.  With two people back there, she wouldn't of.  I did see it a bit more realistic than you though, or more fitting with Deb's character.

I'm not arguing with you though...I get what ya mean.  The wife and I flew threw season 5 and really enjoyed them more though.

Yes, you are cursed for your dissection of all things on any size screen!  smile

Last edited by Ghostseeker (2014-01-10 19:00:43)

Really wondering why the H3LL I cannot get into this one... Bores me to Death and have no idea why. Can't put the finger on it...

I get what ya man.  I tried watching it before and just didn't get into it.  I heard so many good things I made myself watch a couple and then got into it enough to like it.  Still, not even close to one of my fave shows.  I like dex though, and that keeps me into it.   

Ya know, Walking Dead is one of my fave shows and I almost stopped watching after the first season.  I find a few things so ridiculous it almost ruined it for me.  Wow, would I have missed some insane TV!

^^^
Damn yeah you'd have missed some utterly cool TV indeed.

But strangely to me the best series now after Game Of Thrones which is the absolute best to me are Sleepy Hollow and Dracula. Even before Walking Dead can you believe it??? big_smile

Why??? BECAUSE!!! lol

Last edited by kXnPunk (2014-01-10 19:12:21)

I think I'm biased against network TV like that.  I should probably get over it cuz sounds like I'm missing some good shows.

To me it's really easy. I like or I don't. Period. Hahaha lol

Talk about this dissection/over-analyzing thing...I started watching Modern Family not two months ago, and have already seen every episode of every season multiple times.  And the more I watch it, the more inconsistencies I pick up on.

That's the downside to binge watching shows, especially comedies.  Many times sacrifices to continuity are made for jokes.  Friends, as much as I loved it back in the day, is ridiculously guilty of that.