Topic: Call to Artists -- Mirthy's 3rd annual Halloween Art Show!

Call to Artists - September 2007

The following exhibit is open to artists of all mediums, including but not limited to painting, printmaking, sculpture, drawings, photography and mixed media.

CathARTic 3: REEL SCARY Group Show: October 26—31, 2006.Â

In celebration of the Halloween season, each participating artist is asked to exhibit a piece (or pieces, up to four)  that takes the title of an established horror film, and turns it on its ear! You would have to come up with an image invoking the TITLE of the piece, and not use any of the imagery from the source material or key art.

An example would be NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET. You could NOT use any of the imagery from the films: No Freddy, no Glove, no Hat, no red and green alternating stripes, no Nancy or her house. But you could (as a simple example) put a female horse on Elm Street at night.Â

This is the third year for this successful event, this year to be again held at the 20th Century Center in Wichita, KS.  This year, it will be held in conjunction with a Night of Short Horror Films on the evening of October 26. (a separate call for filmmakers will be sent)

Deadline for submission intent: Friday, September 28, 2007Â
Selected art to be delivered to venue by October 19, 2007

Where:Â
20th Century Center
536 N Broadway St
Wichita, KS 67214
(316) 263-1665

Submission Guidelines:Â
1. Submit via email. If large file, please send in a zip file. Links to website accepted. Or...
2. Please submit a CD with jpeg images or photographs ONLY. There is no image limit on CDs. Slides will not be accepted.Â
3. Image annotation sheet indicating PRICE, medium, size, title and brief description of work. If piece submitted not for sale (NFS), please note.Â
4. Artist BIO, including name, address, phone number, web-site and email address. Please do not submit a resume. A BIO is a well-written summary of your artistic statement and resume.
5. All artwork must be owned 100% by the artist and must not garner more than an R rating for general audiences (no genitalia or explicit sexual acts)
6. All artwork to be hung must be mounted or framed, or have some sort of hanging system in place. No loose pieces will be accepted.

Artist Responsibilities:
• All artwork (unless noted as "Not For Sale") is accepted on a consignment basis. Standard commission of 20% will apply.Â
• Artist is responsible for timely delivery and pick up of his/her artwork from the gallery.Â
• Sculptors must supply their own pedestals if necessary.
• Artists are responsible for assisting in the show promotion, including but not limited to mailings to personal mailing list, links on personal web-site, etc.
• It is preferred if artists can be present at the show reception for part of the evening.

Matt Orsman
Mirthquake Productions
e-mail: matt@mirthquake.net
MySpace: http://www.myspace.com/mirthquakecartoons
Phone: (316) 788-8828
Cell: (316) 680-1296

Re: Call to Artists -- Mirthy's 3rd annual Halloween Art Show!

Mirth,

I am going to see if I can come up with something.  I am something of an amateur photographer and I'd love to do something like this.  Time is the concern as work has been busy but if I can get something done, then I most definately will submit it.  Gotta get the ideas rolling first....

Hey, that's coool. <---really cool.  three "o"s! wink

That sounds really cool. Good luck with it!!

http://a379.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/101/l_eec3c49863b90bd00e1abe09b443872a.jpg

Just showing off now... big_smile

hey man, ill see what i can do about making some really bad ass stuff with my pastells and entering it. if i dont get time to do it, ill definately work on it and enter next year.

This art show you have happening is awesome Mirthy. I wish I had something to send in, but I don't think stick people will go over very well big_smile

I know for a fact i can come up with some bad ass sick stuff for the show. I would love more than anything to enter, send my stuff, and to contribute. I always have sick stuff running through my head and can actually look professional at that. But there is only one little problem. Where the show is located it. See if i wanted to enter a show, i would want to be there in person which i can't be. How bad i would love to be there and present my work to everyone especially with all my stuff all being original.

I understand, BuDDy.  I'd want to be there too.  You may be interested to know that I have a call to FILMMAKERS out too... If you want, I can post details.

Just remember, you guys, on the art side there IS a specific theme this year.  We're completely reinterpreting the titles (and titles only) of established Horror Films.  Note the NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET example in the first post.

Thanks for the good words, everyone!

I hope there is champagne? cool

::shrugs:: 
mayyyyybeeeeeeee.

Mirthquake wrote:

I understand, BuDDy.  I'd want to be there too.  You may be interested to know that I have a call to FILMMAKERS out too... If you want, I can post details.

Yeah sure. You can post that. That would be cool if you post details about it.

okee doke

Call for filmmakers’ works, to be shown as part of the CathARTic 3: REEL SCARY Art Opening at the Murdock Theatre in the 20th Century Center in Wichita on Friday, October 26.  There is NO ENTRY FEE.  Short Films in the horror genre are preferred, but Sci-fi, thriller, and avant garde shorts will be considered. All films must be owned 100% by the artist and must not garner more than an R rating for general audiences (no genitalia or explicit sexual acts)

DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSION of film is Friday, October 2,  by 4:00 pm.

Send films to CathARTic, c/o Mirthquake Productions, 1412 Louis Drive, Mulvane KS 67110

Include the following:

copy of film(s) in full quality .dv or .mov, h264 codec on CD-R or DVD-R  (each tale should be a separate file, naturally)
your name & contact information (address, phone, e-mail)  <or as needed.  URL for sure!
a 2 to 3 sentence synopsis of your film, film length, & writer, director, producer, and actors’ names
one paragraph personal biography
Filmmakers are responsible for assisting in the show promotion, including but not limited to mailings to personal mailing list, links on personal web-site, etc.
It is preferred if artists can be present at the show reception for part of the evening.

Thanks Mirthquake.