Topic: Tech. changes.

I was thinking how many changes in technology I've seen in my lifetime.
The vcr betamax war including vcr's with top load and dials on top used to set recordings.
Cellphones that were huge.
The rise and fall of the Laser disc.
Portable cassette players.
The birth of the cd.
The birth of the MP3 player.
The birth of the DVD.
The rise and fall of dial up internet.
What changes do you remember?

Re: Tech. changes.

The sinclair spectrum with its whopping 48 k of ram bringing home computing into real affordability.

Every kid didn't have an iPad, iPhone, or something else like them.

Kids use to just play card games. Most kids just play with an iPad these days, sad to see.

Note: Mine is not exactly a tech change, but it relates to it in someway.

...I think. lol

Last edited by Scavenger of Human Sorrow (2013-08-07 15:23:07)

Eight tracks giving way to cassette tapes.

And how many of you remember the world before the internet?  The first time I went online I was in my mid/late 20s.  Up to then if someone wanted to chat with a friend in another state, there was a massive long distance phone bill involved.  Plus people actually, you know, went outside on a regular basis. lol

My dedicated Pong console (it played 4(!) different types of Pong) --> Playstation 4

B&W TV with rabbit ears and knobs to change channels  --> Color Widescreen HiDef LED/LCD/Plasma/Laser 3D with Wireless Internet Apps

VW Bug (crap) --> VW Bug (cool)

LPs (for the most part), 45s, 8-track, and laserdiscs went bye-bye.
5.25" floppy disks.
Modems measured in baud(s?).
Linux (I have the 0.01 source code, all 500kB of it  Heh, Gates and his "640kB is enough."  I should compile it, lol .)

Microsoft's rollercoaster OS-
DOS (good) --> Win3.1 (bad) --> Win95/NT  (g) --> MS Bob (b) --> WinXP (g) --> WinVista (b) --> Win7 (g)  --> Win8/Metro (bad interface)

Edit-
^^
Ah, early internet newsgroups.  Checking out alt.talk.bizarre in '92...

Last edited by azathoth (2013-08-07 15:55:12)

Back in the day I was a cameraman for NBC News based in Beirut, Lebanon and then Moscow USSR. Communication was very difficult. Most efficient way was via a Telex machine. It cut holes into a strip of thin paper as you typed. Then you fed that through the machine to transmit the message. Was pretty high tech back then. Then came the fax machine years later. Does anyone still use fax?

Last edited by getken (2013-08-07 16:10:42)

getken wrote:

Then came the fax machine years later. Does anyone still use fax?

Yes, but only when I have to send information to 1994.