Topic: Has anyone seen The Conjuring?

Is there really not a thread for this movie yet?  This is getting rave reviews from critics and both Wes Craven and Joe Dante tweeted about how much they enjoyed it.  Dante called it a mix between Amytiville Horror and Poltergeist and he was pretty much spot on with the assessment.  This movie rocks.  Takes place in 1971 and has just a great cast and even better direction.  This movie is once every 5 or so years type goodness.  Especially these days we just don't get em like this anymore.  Basically as smart as Cabin in the Woods but not nearly as pretentious and not quite as funny either.  Way scarier.  If you horror fans haven't gone to this movie yet, you should really check it out!

Re: Has anyone seen The Conjuring?

Its not out in The UK yet! , It out on Friday, It's not even leaked on line yet, but nice to see Horror movie doing really well in Box Office!

I heard that really good but I also heard the best parts were showed in the trailer,

Saw it the other night and loved it. Best pure horror I've seen in a long time. It used atmosphere, character and story to build tension up to the scares. As you'd expect, there are a lot of "jack-in-the-box" type moments, but their use works, cause they're used properly, and not the only device to conjure up scares (see what I did there?)

As for all the scares being in the trailer? Nope. I'd say about half the good ones are in the trailers. And that's the fault of the stupid studio system. All theatrical trailers are cut by 1 or 2 companies, and that's it. So they follow the same formula for every movie, and end up fucking so many things in the process. Trailers should be up to the filmmakers, and nobody else.

That said, I highly recommend seeing it.

This next friday I go. Woohoo!!! big_smile

Yup, I'm a big fan. First horror film that scared the crap out me in a while. The pace is perfect.

I remember someone on this forum asked a while ago, how come I don't watch trailers for movies, and I had said that I wasn't watching a single trailer for The Conjuring (still haven't, seeing it on opening night though!) because I had faith in James Wan taking his other work into consideration.

Not only is the movie getting great reviews all across the board, which I am super happy of. But it has been noted by numerous reviewers that you shouldn't watch the trailer because it gives too much away. lol

I told you guys! tongue

http://www.horror-movies.ca/Forum/viewt … 30#p666130

There is a thread in the upcoming movies section.

The actual farmhouse with one of the people who had experienced it first hand with the current owners of the farmhouse.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJqI5L-rtNo

I saw it, and for a mainstream Hollywood horror movie it was good, but I just didn't find it that good or that scary. A lot of it feel too familiar, I know that with a genre this big everything has been done, but usually with a good horror movie there are one or two aspects or scenes that feel unique to the movie, and this film, in my opinion, had none. The comic relief didn't work because this film took itself too seriously, so any attempt at humor just felt out of place. This complaint is a personal pet peeve of mine in horror films, but SO much of the film seemed to be made up just because it was scary (Hide and Clap, the music box, etc.). For me, horror is the most horrific when it's something that involves objects or actions that are familiar, and I've never heard of a game called "Hide and Clap", maybe because I wasn't a kid in the '70s but that doesn't seem like a real thing. Also I thought we saw too much of the ghosts, and they became too familiar, no longer mysterious and scary.

Now I did enjoy some aspects but with everyone singing their praises for this film, I tend to focus on the negative aspects.

Damn that was so freaky it was insanely mad. Truely loved the atmosphere and the gorgeous shots. And man, Vera Farmiga is outta this world in her character.

kXnPunk wrote:

Damn that was so freaky it was insanely mad. Truely loved the atmosphere and the gorgeous shots. And man, Vera Farmiga is outta this world in her character.

glad you liked it....cant wait for insidious 2!!!!

^^^
OOOooooooooooh DAMN YESSSsss!!!

The movie is how i found this site.  I posted about the film in another part of this site.  This is what i posted:

I saw the film on opening day. I was impressed by the acting and implicit horror ala “The Shinning” and “Poltergeist.” The Warrens have been exposed by many people as a couple that profited from their experience as paranormal investigators. I won’t dismiss them as total frauds, but keeping the museum was definitely questionable. Why keep those items, unless they were adding publicity and profit from their experiences.

Even if the film was exaggerated it was a good source of entertainment. I thought the first 40 minutes kind of dragged, but the warrens did savage the film in the final hour. I will give it a 7 out of 10, it would have been an 8 if not for the slow moving first 40 minutes.

An incredible thing happened as i saw the film. When Warren talks about taking a picture of where the dead witch had hung herself the entire film turned red and we all heard some undecipherable jargon. We all thought it was part of the film, perhaps a flashback scene, however, the film stopped cold. First time in my entire life that a film stopped while playing. After a a three minute delay, the film was back on.

Watch out for the real Ms. Warren’s Cameo while she attends a seminar.
Those who like this film may like the series called “A Haunting” that aired on Discovery and now on Destination America. There were two film spin offs called “A Haunting in Connecticut” (good film), and “A Haunting in Georgia” (horrible).

Last edited by APWTR (2013-08-10 04:04:50)

I thought The Conjuring was really good and a throwback to old school horror.  If you want to read my review its here...

http://www.horror-movies.ca/2013/07/the … ng-review/

Also there is an article on site that has sparked some debate about the real Warrens.  Here is the link...

http://www.horror-movies.ca/the-conjuri … y-warrens/

^^^
Another very nice one miss. TY.