Re: What is your #1 favorite horror flick of all time?

I suppose this might be stretching the definition of "horror", but I'll throw in my 2 cents for--

"The Silence of the Lambs".

When Lecter escapes (bloodily and brilliantly) from an escape-proof scenario, it's one of the best story sequences ever put on film.

Todd

P.S.  If I'm stretching it too much, I'll go with "Night of the Living Dead".  First saw it in a darkened dorm room... where a "friend" from across the hall put on a mask, snuck up behind me, and scared the living-- well, not exactly "dead" out of me!

Todd Trumpet wrote:

...I'll go with "Night of the Living Dead".  First saw it in a darkened dorm room... where a "friend" from across the hall put on a mask, snuck up behind me, and scared the living-- well, not exactly "dead" out of me!

I would never watch that film with the light off.

Night of the Living Dead as well.  I saw it when it first came out, at the drive-in in the back seat of my parents car.  Pillow, blanket, PJ's and food in tow.

Psycho, and probably will always be.

I am not!!!

I meant the film, as in my answer to the thread.

Though you could be joking around, but it's not clear. lol

LOL!!!!  I'm always joking.

^ That's cuz you're psycho!  wink

KEEP IT FRIENDLY, GOD DAMN IT.

I'm just joking, too!

I love psychos!!!!   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_NkJwFucnM

This thread definitely showcases the subjectivity in defining "horror."  Nowadays, a film like Psycho might be classified as Thriller/Suspense.   However, i do think films like Psycho and Jaws would be classified as Horror for its time.  This is like music.  What was regarded as disco, metal, pop, and punk has also evolved.

Theli wrote:

Apparenty in this thread it actually is getting the respect it deserves. I also really liked the Fog. Great atmopshere.

Just finished reading it from the start and I admit. A VERY cool one.

Thanks maudet for bringing it back after a whole year in the basement. big_smile

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh HAMMER. There's NO words that can put the description they truely deserve. But BLOODY DAMN H3LL FREAKING CRAZY BADASS COOL AS MAD will do for now. lol

Haven't seen one I didn't like yet. And NEVER will...........................................................

††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††

Texas Chainsaw Massacre, any and all of them! big_smile

Not sure if I posted in this thread yet, don't feel like checking.

Top 3 would be:

Blair Witch Project
[REC]
Evil Dead (original, even tho I love the remake)

Todd Trumpet wrote:

I suppose this might be stretching the definition of "horror", but I'll throw in my 2 cents for--

"The Silence of the Lambs".

When Lecter escapes (bloodily and brilliantly) from an escape-proof scenario, it's one of the best story sequences ever put on film.

Todd

P.S.  If I'm stretching it too much, I'll go with "Night of the Living Dead".  First saw it in a darkened dorm room... where a "friend" from across the hall put on a mask, snuck up behind me, and scared the living-- well, not exactly "dead" out of me!

The Silence of the Lambs is about a psychopath who skins women in order to make himself a suit made of lady flesh.  If that ain't horror, I don't know what the hell is.

Dawn of the Dead ('78 original) for me as well, same as Lon and Wolfie. I love it for the previously stated reasons but also because I consider it to be...THE zombie epic. It doesn't matter if you're watching the theatrical cut or one of the extended versions, you're still watching an over two hour long zombie film. It truly is a trip, and if you're a fan of the film, you'll know what I mean when I say that watching it (for the 20th or 30th time or so) is about the equivalent of the feeling you have when visiting some old friends. I look forward to meeting the main characters, Stephen, Peter, Roger, and Francine every time I pop in the DVD.

But if you were to ask my favorite cut of Dawn, it would have to be the longest, the 155 minute cut (dubbed the "Extended Malls Hours Cut"). smile

Y'know, I always thought that while all the primary actors are excellent in Dawn, David Emge's is the best performance in the film.  In a lot of ways it's his eyes you're seeing the zombie apocalypse through.  He's an everyman, in way over his head for most of the film.  He struggles to keep up with gung-ho manly men Peter and Roger, who make him feel impotent and useless (notice his prideful beaming when Peter compliments him on finding the map -- like it's the first time another man has given him props), he's in a strained relationship with Fran... 

Watch the movie again, paying attention only to Emge's performance -- his reactions, his body language, his expressions -- and you'll see an actor fully invested in his role.  I wish so badly he'd had a bigger career after Dawn...

Yeah Dawn is awesome. One of the best Romero's done along with Night Of The Living Dead and Land. Not too fan of the recent ones aside Diaries but still better than Survival...

I like Night of the Living Dead and Day of the Dead more than Dawn, but realistically they are all awesome. I still need to see Survival of the Dead. I know itès supposed to be a stinker, but I loved all of Romeroès others, even Diary and Land.

Evil Dead! no wait...Texas Chainsaw Massacre!  no wait...Night of the Living Dead!  um......yeah, them.

Either will suffice, they're all great!

it's hard to say but probably Child's Play for me

Psycho would have to be mine, absolutely love it!

Night of living dead would be a very close second.

John Carpenter's Halloween

The Exorcist (1973) is amazing and was the scariest damn movie I have ever seen. - 10/10

Jaws (1976) would be second, also scarred the poop outta me when I was a kid...and the first time I went to the beach when I was like 14 or 15 I was still timid about swimming and couldn't stop thinking about Jaws LOL. Also the only other horror film I'd give a 10/10