Re: Rank The Saw Series

I never liked it because it's a one trick pony. Once it shows you what it has from the very start, it never really brings anything new to the table.

I've seen only the first one.  But need to catch up on the saw series and also Paranormal Activity.  Never saw even one PA film.  The PA series has received mixed reviews.  Kind of reminds me of Blair Witch, half of the people love it and the other half hate it.

If you liked the first Saw then the sequels are definitely worth your while. They build upon the original quite a bit.

My list is as follows:

The only ones I really like are one and three, though the second one isn't bad. Once you get past the third film, the series really takes a ridiculous turn. The final one was pretty silly, it was good for some mindless gore, but not much else.

7 was definitely quite disappointing for a film that was supposed to be the finale to such a long-running series. You'd think more care would've gone into it hmm

Did anyone else marathon the series already or will this month at some point? I spent all day yesterday watching them all in a row, had fun. Always an annual October tradition for me to set a day aside to view them all.

I've had a marathon to watch them all but that was sometime last year when I was sick.  Although I was laying on the couch feeling like I was going to croak I enjoyed watching them all back to back.  If I had the time I would love to watch them all again.  I know a lot of people didn't like the seventh, but I liked it thanks to Sean Patrick Flanery being in it.  He just made it that much more enjoyable for me.

I liked Sean's character in 7 as well. He's always very good in everything he does.

In all the movies I've seen him in he usually plays such a tough guy it was funny to see him the way he was in this movie.  I miss the days when if it's Halloween it means a new Saw movie coming out.

I miss those days too, my marathon reminded me. It'd be great if next year for the 10th anniversary if the first one could at least be re-released.

It was announced not too long ago that an eighth film was planned, which isn't a huge surprise. I wonder if it'll be a sequel or a reboot? I'm not too opposed to a reboot done right, since the original storyline was sort of stretched thin and a fresh start could be what revives the series.

First one was perfect. Thought it was amazing at the time I saw it. The rest are extremely underwhelming.

Though I enjoy most of the sequels and even prefer the second to the original, I always wonder if Saw had been a stand-alone film with no sequels. It's still quite a different film from the subsequent movies and works as a seperate film.

Saw I
Saw II

The rest is all forgettable drivel, so I'm going to pull numbers out of a hat:
V
III
VII
VII
IV

Now if only paranormal activity could just fade away like Saw did, the genre would be in a better place

I notice you put 7 twice on there.

I just realized the first Saw will be 10 this year, hard to believe that much time has already flown. Doesn't feel like it was a decade ago at all.

Saw - Miles ahead of the others.
Saw 3
Saw 2
Saw 4
Saw 5

I haven't seen the latest ones. I enjoy the series just as I do the Final Destination movies. Slick production with some good gore and practical effects.

Jigsaw wrote:

I just realized the first Saw will be 10 this year, hard to believe that much time has already flown. Doesn't feel like it was a decade ago at all.

Damn, so true, passes fast!!! Still my favorite is the number 3, that needles pit is insane...

The needle pit was in part 2. I agree that's a great trap, my favorite in the series.

^^^
Oh yes you're right. Been so damn long...

It's been a while since I last watched them. I always set a day aside and marathon them all in a row every October as part of my Halloween-time viewing. Fun to do if you've got the time and patience for it.

^^^
Yeah I should do that. But I'll do that with Evil Dead way before this. lol

I actually did that with the original ED trilogy plus the remake last October and plan to do it again.

^^^
Such an amazing series. Even the remake is über badass...

The remake was pretty good, though I still feel it should've been a stand-alone, unrelated film.