Topic: pre-grindhouse exploitation

What movies before the 70's pushed the boundaries of good taste. I can think of one I have seen called Maniac from 1934. It had a non-sensical plot involving a mad scientist. It had some early nudity as well as a cat farm.

Last edited by Theli (2013-08-27 00:09:26)

Re: pre-grindhouse exploitation

Ok...I'm not thinking of any horror of top of my head.  However, there were some definite 60's movies that pushed the boundaries and had the same elements of grindhouse or exploitation films.  Many of them were biker movies.

Shanty Tramp.  1967

Scorpio Rising. 1964

The Girls from Thunderstrip. 1966

Then to some degree - The Devil's Angel.  1967

There are many more along these lines. 

In my opinion...these movies indirectly paved the way for A Clockwork Orange.  That ones just IMHO though, and I'm sure some would not agree.

Good topic Theli.  Interested to see what others write.

Last edited by Ghostseeker (2013-08-27 00:31:41)

I guess there's always Herschel Gordon Lewis and his films as well.

What was it that changed around the 70's? Was their a change in film rating or code? Or did underground film making just become more popular/viable? Or was it just sensibities that changed and allowed for more taboo films to be made?

All of the above.  In the late 60s, Jack Valenti replaced the mandatory PCA  with a voluntary rating system, thus freeing up filmmakers to make the films they wanted to make without having to meet a pre-ordained code.  But it was also a time of great civil unrest (Viet Nam war, Civil Rights movement), a new set of sensibilities (free love, drugs) -- the kind of stuff which feeds filmmakers' imaginations.

There were the 'roughies' like 1963's Scum of The Earth which developed from earlier 'nudist' pictures.

Well, you can check out Something Weird Video and see hundreds upon hundreds of cheap-o exploitation howlers dating all the way back to the '30s, if not even earlier.  As long as there's been movies, there's been exploitation.  Remember, the MPAA didn't come into existence until the early 20s, which means that for 30 or 40 years folks had been making movies without ratings or having to worry about meeting a decency code. wink

You should check out the doc American Grindhouse, Theli. Despite the title it thoroughly covers the whole development of the explotation genre from the beginning of film itself, up till and including the 70's. Very informative and excellent doc.

^^^
Yes a very cool one mate.

Faster Pussycat Kill Kill pushed a lot of boundaries.
So did Lolita but we're totally out of pre-Grindhouse exploitation though.

Clockwork Orange definitely. The only thing missing to make a Grindhouse out of this is the Blood Splatters. big_smile

I can't think of 30-50 ones though.

I don't think I've seen any, unless Blood Feast (1963) counts.

It's the oldest movie I've seen that contains gore just for the sake of having it. It looks cheesy as hell now, but was probably considered extreme back in the day.

I guess Pre-Grindhouse Exploitation from the 50's would be all the sleazy Sci-fi monster movies.  Think about it...often packaged in Double features.  Low budget, low-brow. Trailers were usually better than the movies themselves...sounds like exploitation to me.  Besides that,Herschel Gordon Lewis has been mentioned and is likely a more direct predecessor.

Vasquez wrote:

You should check out the doc American Grindhouse, Theli. Despite the title it thoroughly covers the whole development of the explotation genre from the beginning of film itself, up till and including the 70's. Very informative and excellent doc.

Noted. Thanks.

^^^
Damn that thing was crazy last night, posted a wild bunch of that crap...