Topic: Horror Movie Reviewers

Just curious if anybody else has reviewers they follow for Horror Movie Suggestions (value their opinion or they're downright entertaining)

I dont follow a lot of written reviewers, but I love PossessedByHorror and HorrorMovieReviewGuy on youtube
possessedbyhorror: she has a rating system that works pretty well - although i feel sometimes she is a little too easy on movies and needs to give harsher punishment for crap tongue
then
horrormoviereviewguy: everything about him is hilarious, from his oh so original name to the way he talks (plus he's canadian) you can tell he reads from a script, but it makes it more entertaining, for me at least. and he throws in so many little added pieces of trivia (that i'll admit that sometimes i didnt even know... not all the time, but sometimes)

I love watching horror reviews on anything ive watched to hear others opinions, and also for those days where you want to watch a movie and know that you cant follow an IMDB rating!

Re: Horror Movie Reviewers

I used to be a horror movie reviewer, so I follow myself. lol

No, I don't follow any reviewers.  The only reviewer I did follow was Roger Ebert, but since he's passed on I don't follow anyone.  Whether or not I watch a movie is now solely dictated by my own personal level of interest in it.  So unless I'm recommended something by someone here on the boards whose tastes I put stock in, I don't much listen to what others say about movies. 

But I'm also a stubborn old prick set in my ways, so... lol

Re: Horror Movie Reviewers

Nope not at all. I find them interesting as they describe the movie but I don't follow their ideas until I see the film. Then I choose which one was right but never before. I don't care anyways, I like or I don't. lol

Re: Horror Movie Reviewers

TheCinemaSnob is always good for a laugh, he tends to review terrible films but he's also lashed his sharp tongue all over Pieces and just recently Friday the 13th.

My favourite one however is Mark Kermode, he's a big fan of extreme horror cinema and defends films like Funny Games and Last House on the Left but it's when he hates a film he really gets into his stride. You can check out his reviews on 'Mayo & Mark', a daily BBC radio 5 Live program. I believe they also have podcasts but prolly best to just listen to him on YouTube.

Here he is banging on about 'A Serbian Filmhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLiwki7-dSE and entirely losing his host. I disagree with his review of this but there's no doubt he knows his horror beans and at least he said it was professionally made - which it truly is. The references he makes to guys like Fulci and Deodato clearly show him as being well versed in the horror genre. Bear in mind this guy is a BBC film reviewer who reviews mainstream pap like Bob Marley and Me and films about Wolverines who have knives and forks for hands and shite smug rom-com's for a living.

Last edited by Fulcento (2013-08-27 14:08:58)

Re: Horror Movie Reviewers

bah...I don't follow reviewers in particular.  I'm also selective about the movies I decide to read about.   I usually read several reviews about things...be it movies or music...I rarely read one opinion. because, you know, Knowledge is Power.

Re: Horror Movie Reviewers

LoudLon wrote:

I used to be a horror movie reviewer, so I follow myself. lol

No, I don't follow any reviewers.  The only reviewer I did follow was Roger Ebert, but since he's passed on I don't follow anyone.  Whether or not I watch a movie is now solely dictated by my own personal level of interest in it.  So unless I'm recommended something by someone here on the boards whose tastes I put stock in, I don't much listen to what others say about movies. 

But I'm also a stubborn old prick set in my ways, so... lol

i just enjoy watching them after i've seen a movie so that i can see what others think of it and if they agree with my thoughts lol
I think what I like best about the girl on youtube "possessed by horror" is that she will tell you over and over again before she goes into 'spoilers' so that you have a chance to stop watching if you havent seen the film yet.
there's just something about just listening to somebody go on about horrors  you've seen and enjoyed - i always play them on my phone in the mornings while im getting ready, kind of like a one sided conversation to keep me company in those early hours of the day (early hours being 5 and 6 am - not hours being the amount of time it takes me to get ready LOL)

i also think that there's something that can be said about a video versus a written review - on one note, it takes quite a bit of time to toss out a video (examples being the two that I have mentioned) with collecting facts, clips/editing and the overall creative thought that goes into the horrormoviereviewguy's videos, that has got to take some time and effort. Then with possessedbyhorror, she puts time into her editing (its easy to ramble on about horror movies and god only knows we all do!) i do youtube videos as well - and i know how much time it takes!
sometimes i feel like there's not much of a thought process put into written reviews (not always, dont attack me here lol) but its like they sit down to spit out a few words, hit send and its over. there are a few exceptions, but video just seems more personal.

I agree with listening to ebert - however, he and i didnt see eye to eye on a lot of horror movies. i think because horror is so deeply rooted into my bones and my veins that i can see a gem when others (non horror fanatics) think its rubbish.

Re: Horror Movie Reviewers

kXnPunk wrote:

Nope not at all. I find them interesting as they describe the movie but I don't follow their ideas until I see the film. Then I choose which one was right but never before. I don't care anyways, I like or I don't. lol

oh i completely agree - i dont like to let somebody elses views distort my own.

but (and i cant believe i am going to admit this) i had never watched "event horizon" before... and until i saw horrormoviereviewguy's video about it, i actually had no idea it was a "horror" (future sci-fy i guess, but some people could call it horror)

i guess i love them because most of my friends dont watch horror movies and its so nice to be able to hear someone elses take on a film - and sometimes you never know, they could have caught something you didnt!

Re: Horror Movie Reviewers

Fulcento wrote:

TheCinemaSnob is always good for a laugh, he tends to review terrible films but he's also lashed his sharp tongue all over Pieces and just recently Friday the 13th.

My favourite one however is Mark Kermode, he's a big fan of extreme horror cinema and defends films like Funny Games and Last House on the Left but it's when he hates a film he really gets into his stride. You can check out his reviews on 'Mayo & Mark', a daily BBC radio 5 Live program. I believe they also have podcasts but prolly best to just listen to him on YouTube.

Here he is banging on about 'A Serbian Filmhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLiwki7-dSE and entirely losing his host. I disagree with his review of this but there's no doubt he knows his horror beans and at least he said it was professionally made - which it truly is. The references he makes to guys like Fulci and Deodato clearly show him as being well versed in the horror genre. Bear in mind this guy is a BBC film reviewer who reviews mainstream pap like Bob Marley and Me and films about Wolverines who have knives and forks for hands and shite smug rom-com's for a living.

i am going to have to check them out! i love when people can talk about horror and find connections, similarities and comparisions (not imdb trivia either.. most of that is old news) honestly its people like this that make me feel like im in horrorschool or something and im listening to a professor. knowledge is power and all that.

Re: Horror Movie Reviewers

JackBurton wrote:

bah...I don't follow reviewers in particular.  I'm also selective about the movies I decide to read about.   I usually read several reviews about things...be it movies or music...I rarely read one opinion. because, you know, Knowledge is Power.

weirded out... i just wrote "knowledge is power" in another reply lol i swear i hadnt even seen your post yet!

but i agree - i wont just watch or read one review before choosing whether i watch a movie or not. but i do appreciate the opinion of a well seasoned horror veteran.
where some people will say a horror was a piece of crap, another person (somebody who loves and appreciates horror like myself) will watch it and fall in love.
this is the whole reason there are cult classics! i read so many reviews on IMDB where people say a movie was a piece of junk and its 90 minutes of their lives they will never get back again... and then you can ask a horror fanatic and they will tell you its so bad its good and that its a must watch.
multiple opinions are a must - but i always appreciate opinions of other horror fans rather than someone who reviews all movies accross the spectrum smile

Re: Horror Movie Reviewers

I have trouble finding reviewers that have a similar outlook on horror as I do.  That being said, I trust the people here to know my tastes.

I'll check out your 2 and Fulci's guy.

Re: Horror Movie Reviewers

LuLuLuhxe wrote:

[weirded out... i just wrote "knowledge is power" in another reply lol i swear i hadnt even seen your post yet!


Yeah, I get that a lot...I'm in your heads...all of you!.....@Azzy, I love what you've done with the Place wink .