Topic: Call to all Female horror fans !!

I have been a crazy fan of horror since i can remember. I watched Goosebumps religiously as a kid
while my mother would try desperately to get me to change the channel. Then quickly moving on to my parents Horror VHS tapes which under no circumstances should I try and watch. 
Since starting my Dissertation, i have began questioning why both genders (females in particular) are so fascinated with gore and death, I understand that what happens after death is a mystery and something that remains unanswered but why is it that every time there is a Car crash or motorcycle accident do people slow down to get a closer look ? Seems bazaar when you think about it.

Re: Call to all Female horror fans !!

It's human nature, male or female, we have been obsessed with death and violence since time immemorial. Ritualistic sacrifices, gladiatorial combat, public executions, boxing, MMA, the news etc. Personally I get enough violence from horror films and controlled violence from martial arts, I am not interested in watching videos of death online or slowing down to look at car crashes (which is the epitome of callousness). Sorry, I'm dude, but I couldn't help but throw my 2 cents in there.

Thanks for your input ! I have also found that even people who say they hate Horror films and that they can't stand the blood and guts, They all stop and listen to a grizzly story on the news or radio. Just shows our fascination with the darker side of life is instilled in us all, whether we like it or not. But also it seems to be more unusual for a girl to enjoy Horror films, even though i know there are lots of female horror fans out there. It's like its natural for a boy to watch them, but strange for a girl. Just something i have noticed growing up.

While I know more guys who are into horror flicks (being a dude myself most of my friends are male), I know quite a few girls who are into them. Actually my younger cousin was probably the first person I knew who really loved horror flicks. I`d say the ratio of male to female viewers is  more for male, but not as much as other genre films. Depends on the horror film though, tons of women were at the Paranormal Activity and Saw films I saw in theatres.

I know you are targeting females, but the human race in general normally finds death and stuff like that interesting because in our normal lives we don't see someone who gets their head cut off by a machete wielding maniac with a hockey mask.

I think, while people would hate to see someones head cut off in front of them, they like seeing it in movies because they know it is fake. And the fascination of it is there, so that is what draws them in the first place.

Of course then you have movies like Cannibal Holocaust which some viewers actually believed that people were really killed on camera, because they went missing afterwords which then would decline their interest because it is real.

I don't know if I went off point or not, but that is my take on the whole thing.

Last edited by Scavenger of Human Sorrow (2013-09-02 12:47:19)

I think that a lot of people DO want to see someone's head cut off, though they may not know it or admit it. It's part of the ID that's why we slow down at car crashes, and go see rodeos and Nascar. Seeing death makes people feel alive.

I for one HATE violence like they show on the news. What's the fun in that??? That's why when I see an Horror movie, I know some are based on real events but the majority is fabulation and that's what I enjoy. That they show us freaky stuff that entertain us a lot. More Blood the better. But seeing these kids all Bloodied in war countries make me sick and truely not proud of being part of this human thingy. And like Theli said, violence as always been there forever and will continue to be. Sadly. That's why I like escaping from reality into Horror flicks.

As for girls and Horror, well I know a huge bunch of my female friends [a huge bunch is 4 girls actually hahaha] that are as addicted to them as I am. True more males but more and more girls are loving it nowadays unlike in the 80s and before and that's extremely cool. big_smile

Last edited by kXnPunk (2013-09-02 13:12:41)

Theli- " Seeing death makes people feel alive."

I think Theli hit the nail on the head ^^

( I'm a guy) Something I've never understood and never will is: why people will slow down at a accident? Better known as, "ambulance chasers."  I've seen enough nasty accidents to last me a life time! And those times when I have saw people hurt. I couldn't get the images out of my head for quite some time.

As for females being not as much into violence. Whether it's real, or in film? I think society has played a large part in what a female should or shouldn't deem o.k. The rules have changed vastly over the last 50 years though. Women these days no longer held to rules that society used to deem " un-lady like." Thank god!

^^^
Thank Demon indeed. smile

vERY INTERESTING THREAD.....,THANX PEOPLE:):)

rebecca574 wrote:

i have began questioning why both genders (females in particular) are so fascinated with gore and death,

It is women who love horror. Gloat over it. Feed on it. Are nourished by it. Shudder and cling and cry out-and come back for more. ~ Bela Lugosi~

^^^
The lord said it and he's right. big_smile

DarkMistress wrote:
rebecca574 wrote:

i have began questioning why both genders (females in particular) are so fascinated with gore and death,

It is women who love horror. Gloat over it. Feed on it. Are nourished by it. Shudder and cling and cry out-and come back for more. ~ Bela Lugosi~

Especially married women? tongue lol