Topic: Exquisite Corpse by Poppy Z Brite.

Have any of you guys read it?

I found this to be one of the most disturbing books i've ever read. I literally felt sick at times reading it and it was so affecting I cried.

It deals with homosexuality and aids issues in such an unflinching and dark way, as well as looking into the minds and thoughts of 2 serial killers in love. I seriously recommend it to those with a strong stomach.

Re: Exquisite Corpse by Poppy Z Brite.

That sounds a bit too heavy for my blood....

It's very intense.

I've read two Poppy Z. Brite stories.  One took place in The Crow universe, and I don't recall what the second one was.  Anyway, it just seemed to me she was just being intense to be intense.  And I suppose ultimately I found her writing to be unmemorable.  I also read a short a story collection.  Either one she wrote or one she edited.  Again, I guess she's forgettable.

You do get that feeling at times reading her books. I read her Crow book once ages ago as well and remembered liking it but forget what the story was.

I think she does try really hard to push things too far and be graphic and in your face.  It works for this book though.

I am so sickened right now!!! I just found out this book is loosely based on 2 real life serial killers. Jeffrey Dahmer and Dennis Nilsen.

And also that the most upsetting and disturbing part of the book is based on a real event. It broke my heart to read this and kind of destroys your faith in humanity!:

In the early morning hours of May 30, 1991, 14-year-old Konerak Sinthasomphone (by chance, the younger brother of the boy whom Dahmer had molested) was discovered on the street, wandering naked, heavily under the influence of drugs and bleeding from his rectum. Two young women from the neighborhood found the dazed boy and called 911. Dahmer chased his victim down and tried to take him away, but the women stopped him.[29] Dahmer told police that Sinthasomphone was his 19-year-old boyfriend, and that they had an argument while drinking. Against the protests of the two women who had called 911, police turned him over to Dahmer. They later reported smelling a strange scent while inside Dahmer's apartment, but did not investigate it. The smell was the body of Tony Hughes, Dahmer's previous victim, decomposing in the bedroom. The two policemen failed to run a background check that would have revealed that Dahmer was a convicted child molester still under probation.[30] The officers laughed about the incident, one joking that his partner was "going to get deloused."[31] Later that night, Dahmer killed and dismembered Sinthasomphone, keeping his skull as a souvenir.

John Balcerzak and Joseph Gabrish, two of the three police officers who returned Sinthasomphone to Dahmer, were fired from the Milwaukee Police Department after their actions were widely publicized, including an audiotape of the officers making homophobic statements to their dispatcher and cracking jokes about having reunited the "lovers". The two officers appealed their termination and were reinstated with back pay. They were named officers of the year by the police union for fighting a "righteous" battle to regain their jobs. Balcerzak was later elected president of the Milwaukee Police Association in May 2005.[27][32]

read it, enjoyed it - and yes, I found it disturbing as well being fully aware of its "inspiration".
Brite is a powerful storyteller and I have found all her books to be well written, bold and edgy.
The Love In Vein vampire erotica compilations she's edited I'd recommend as well big_smile

Never read the book but heard of it, might have to give it a look now. Thanks Baby smile

deadhorse13 wrote:

read it, enjoyed it - and yes, I found it disturbing as well being fully aware of its "inspiration".
Brite is a powerful storyteller and I have found all her books to be well written, bold and edgy.
The Love In Vein vampire erotica compilations she's edited I'd recommend as well big_smile

I just couldn't believe that could actually happen in real life. And for those police men to not even be punished! It's horrifying.

I'd still say it's one of my favourite books though. I'll have to get Love in Vein as well, never heard of it before!

Yes BTK it is a really great read. She is a very talented and in your face writer smile

I have read this book atleast 10 times since I was 16. I loved. Yes I knew what out was based on. Still enjoyed it. The book went around my school like the chicken pox. I read it passed it on and friends did the same. Sick yes, fascinating yes. It is by far one of my favorits

As a Christian I can't read her work, Melissa Brite and I clash professionally as I am just as dark and even heavier.   I read a female author who is a stronger author than she would ever be and I published this author in the first two Tabloid Purposes anthologies.  Check out Macey Wuesthoff's Sacrifice.  Macey is rooted in Nathaniel Hawthorne and Edgar Allan Poe.