Topic: Opinion on Insidious Chapter 2 (non-spoiler)

The new insidious film like the second godfather film juxtaposes two stories into one film.  We get the Lambert family post the first Insidious and the origins of Josh's childhood haunting.  The old lady known as Elise was the mother of "Parker" a character that was mistreated  and eventually ended up in a hospital treated by Josh's mom played by Barbara Hershey again.  This time i think both Patrick Wilson and Rose Byrne are much better with their performances. I thought both of them lacked chemstry in the first.  The younger Hershey who played the nurse was scene stealer and would have run circles around Rose if she got the original main role.

The older Josh's body is consumed by Elise who wants him to kill in order to keep him alive.  The real Josh body has gone to the other side.  This film has many more thrills and punchlines than the original.  Instead of waiting an hour for chills, we get them almost immediately.       

The reason Elise mistreated her son adds a good twist to the plot.  Jack Torrence (here is johnny)  of the Shinning seems to have reprised his role with the older Josh as his body is taken over by Elise.  The Dalton character is a bit secondary, but he does play a crucial role in the end.

My favorite scene is the Parker room where we see his doll house.  Themes of life and death are  prominent.  The rolling of dice to communicate with the dead instead of the redundant ouija board brings a bit more originality and chills.

Unfortunately, the end is something that is left to be desired. This is depending on what boat you are.  For those who prefer closure than you may feel cheated, for those who want the series to continue than you likely will get more thrills in the future.  I felt that it was a perfect time to call it an end.  However, money talks in hollywood.

Overall, i still give it an eight out of ten.  That is the most i can say without giving the film away.

As a side note, my original post was lost since the anti-spam bot killed it.  I had only copied half of it, so if it is choppy please excuse.

Last edited by APWTR (2013-09-13 22:12:45)

Re: Opinion on Insidious Chapter 2 (non-spoiler)

Since Insidious is one of the top horror films I've seen in the past couple years, I'm glad that it sounds like Part Deux will not suck donkey cojones (I'm looking at you, Grave Encounters 2).

Never seen the first one and I dont plan to see this one. It looks sorry as hell. Any movie that tries to show me how scared the audience was isn't scary.

In the "last horror movie you watched" thread I already wrote a mini review, but basically the first hour is garbage and embarrassing for the filmmakers, and feels like a rushed cash-in. There are no scares to be had in this one and it doesn't hold a candle to the first movie. The last 40 minutes are better than the the first half and it has some interesting ideas, but it ends up favoring bland unscary images and making loud noises. Very strange since the first was genuinely chilling.

^^
Dang it, I was hoping it would be OK at least...

The film is getting mixed reviews.  One of those polarizing offerings as some will hate it, while others like it.  The phenomenon is reminiscent of Blair Witch, which i was one of those who didn't like it at all.  I thought the first insidious was okay, but not great at all.  Kind of reminded you Sixth Sense (i see dead people) with a much weaker working cast.  In fact, i thought Wan's Death Silence was much scarier than the first Insidious.

A major pet peeve of the some critics was Wan's excessive use of dolls and mannequins which we have seen in his previous offerings.

Last edited by APWTR (2013-09-14 12:29:35)

I liked the first one, so I'll probably end up watching this one too, even if it turns out to be sub par.

azathoth wrote:

^^
Dang it, I was hoping it would be OK at least...

I dunno, that seemed kind of a harsh look at it. Valid in its own way, though. But since you like the first one I think you'll enjoy Chapter 2 as well.

I was glad that I enjoyed it more than the first one. Admittedly, yeah it didn't have the strongest opening, but I thought it picked up quite quickly.