Topic: The Hip Hop/Rap Thread

So I know their are a lot of people here who like Rock of all sorts, but I'm curious if their are any Rap fans here. I like a lot oldschool rap such as NWA, Eazy E, Snoop Dogg Tupac, Public Enemy, and Biggie. I also am a fan of Eminem, Kendrick Lamar, Drake, Mac Miller, and I did dislike Macklemore at first but I've gained alot of respect for him with his song "Same Love" because I respect his support for Gay Marriage. Do any of you Rock fans have a soft spot for Rap? big_smile

Re: The Hip Hop/Rap Thread

Can a mod please put the word "Thread" after the word rap in the title? My iPod touch is shit at posting threads

^^Yeah yeah blame it on the ipod. big_smile

There is only one rapper. BUSHWICK BILL!!!!!!!!!!!

rap

I like Golden Age rap from the 80s and some stuff from the early 90s.  I've stated my love on the boards of LL Cool J, Run DMC, Slick Rick and Doug E. Fresh many times.  Public Enemy is another group I dig quite a bit (shame Flava Flav had to go and ruin every last dollop of street cred with those god-awful VH1 reality shows).  NWA was good.  I also dug Onyx when they hit it big back in '93 or so.  The Sugar Hill Gang, Grandmaster Flash, Melle Mel, Dana Dane, Whodini.  House of Pain was the shit back in their day.  Mos Def is good.  Digable Planets.  Arrested Development.  Wu Tang Clan.  Ice Cube was great back when he first went solo. 

I can't think of a single modern rapper I can stomach.  I strenuously dislike Eminem.  Jay-Z is a joke to me.  Fiddy Cent can take a flying leap.  Li'l Wayne can lick my scrote.  Never did like Biggie Smalls or Tupac.

Ice T, Beastie Boys, Eminem, CYPRESS FUCKING HILL POWAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's about it. Still like Rock influenced or that adds Rap into their shit like Rage Against The Machine and the like.

Although my city's got great Rap bands and I often go see them chill on the stage and do their kick ass battles, very cool...

Oh AND THE FREAKING SNOOP W33D DOGG of course. big_smile

Last edited by kXnPunk (2013-09-15 22:37:49)

^^You know you like some 2 Live Crew too!

Is Digable Planets considered rap?? I always thought they were on their own level. Very original and had actual intelligence behind the lyrics and music.

^^^
No I don't know and it's fine for me that way. lol

^^I take it you're not a fan

Aside the ones I mentioned nope. lol

Snap! I didn't see your response until now! Mine was for @LoudLon big_smile whoops

I've seen Cypress hill live and that's one of the best concerts I've ever been too. So much energy! And of course there was the 6-ft bong they brought out too.

Another one that put on a great show (although I'm still not a fan, but I give props for good live stuff), Bone Thugs n Harmony. I was working a security detail and ended up being the bouncer on the front right of the stage while they were performing. That was insanely fun! Ear plugs were absolutely useless that night too big_smile

Oh reminds me of Grandmaster Flash. These guys were kick ass. Talk about great old school stuff. smile

Didn't see LoudLon's post until now. lol

Last edited by kXnPunk (2013-09-15 23:09:35)

You mentioned Beastie Boys -- can't believe I forgot them.  I remember buying their first album License to Ill on cassette tape back in '86.  Love those guys.  RIP, MCA. sad

^^^
Yeah indeed, the Fight For Your Rights [to paaaaaaarty] clip was showing non stop on Musique Plus here. Ahhh good old cassettes. smile

And yeah, RIP indeed, what a loss that was... sad

There's quite a bit of hip hop I like now, and have for years.  Though what I like would definitely be considered the pop version.  Not too much into just straight rap.

I used to like a lot of hip hop dance when I was in school.  I still like that too.

So, LL, Eminem, Flo Rida, Run-DMC, Nelly and Public Enemy.  Back in the day Bell Biv Devoe, Boys To Men, C&C Music Factory, Arrested Development (good call Lon)...and on and on.  Like I said...I know its more pop.

Like the rap / heavy metal mix.  Obviously there's Anthrax / Public Enemy and Aerosmith / Run DMC.  The Judgement Night soundtrack has all the songs with a rap / heavy metal mix.  Some of the songs are awesome.

being a punk rocker, alot of people are suprised to see the wu tang W tatted on my wrist....but i love wu tang....for life, haha.....but yea...i love early 90s rap....when the beats were super gritty and raw....wu-tang, nas, mobb deep...early 90s rap from NY.....though the west had some good shit goin of course....brotha lynch hung is one of my favorites from the westcoast....talks about eatin babies and rapin women with guns, haha,.....mostly gangbangin though......not gangbangin women....haha....

I also like The Lonely Island. I think they're a funny comedic rap group and they've also worked with artists such as Elton John, Michael Bolton, and even John Waters. lol

Oh and "Dick In a Box" is just great. lol