Topic: John Carpenter is interested in a Dead Space adaptation

http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/dead-sp … pace-movie

Even seeing a mention of Carpenter expressing interest in a new movie gets me excited. I've been wanting to see another great movie from him for a long time now. Not too get anyones' hopes up too high, but this would be great if it actually happened.

First of all, I had no idea Carpenter would look into a gaming franchise such as Dead Space. I have played (and really enjoyed) the first Dead Space game of a series of three main games. It essentially is a cross between The Thing and Alien (and a bit of Event Horizon too). The premise involves a crew boarding a large space vessel that went out of contact, and the people on board have been changed into horrible-"Thing"-like monsters called necromorphs. There's some nice backstory to it and it's filled with plenty of tension. Unfortunately, the series itself dropped off into action territory and lost its "magic" - think the change from Alien to Aliens, but not done well.

Again, this doesn't mean it will go anywhere, but you never know. What do you guys think? Any Dead Space fans out there?

Re: John Carpenter is interested in a Dead Space adaptation

I'm a huge Dead Space fan (mainly the first game) If it would be done right, and that's a big if, even with Carpenter directing it, it could be amazing.

I'm a fan too. The first one is a total blast. Didn't play any others but the first repeatedly. And I dig it so that'd be ultra cool if the man does it. Wooo!!!

I'm not as into the whole sci-fi horror aspect, but this could be very good.

I love all three Dead Space games as each offers something different.  The second game scared me the most and third one just didn't feel horror but still a good game.  I saw this tweeted this morning and got so excited.  If anyone can handle this is Carpenter as the first Dead Space is pretty much The Thing.

Hopefully the movie could be done right, because the games suck ass.

OldLaughingLady wrote:

I love all three Dead Space games as each offers something different.  The second game scared me the most and third one just didn't feel horror but still a good game.  I saw this tweeted this morning and got so excited.  If anyone can handle this is Carpenter as the first Dead Space is pretty much The Thing.

Yeah I was thinking during my playthrough of the first game that it felt inspired by The Thing.

This actually sounds awesome. I have been eagerly awaiting a return to good film making from Carpenter. It's been so long.

I would love a movie based on Dead Space. With Carpenter? Even better. I love the games.

I just want to see anything new from John Carpenter.

I endorse this since he could go back to his The Thing roots of atmosphere and freaky creatures.  And with no/minimal CGI, to boot smile big_smile .

Seriously, this is a type of movie built for him.

Too bad John is more interested in just playing video games these days.. hmm Can't blame him though. He's already made his legacy and made the movies he wanted to make.

So he plays a lot of video games? Huh, I didn't realise that. Hope he's got something left in the bag.

Chomper wrote:

So he plays a lot of video games? Huh, I didn't realise that. Hope he's got something left in the bag.

I didn't picture John as a gamer but apparently he's a very big gamer. If I remember right Dead Space is actually one of his favorites! I can understand why he is interested in turning it into a movie. He LOVES watching basketball and gaming.