Topic: Dawn of the Dead -- The "Suspiria" Cut!

Many, many years ago I read about an altered version of Romero's Dawn of the Dead which aired somewhere in Japan.  Supposedly, that version, which allegedly used Dario Argento's European cut as its jumping off point -- not only edited out even more footage than Argento's cut, but it also altered much of the soundtrack (reportedly including bits and pieces of the soundtrack from Argento's Suspiria, hence "the Suspiria Cut") and replaced all the sound effects, AND added a tag at the beginning of the film attempting to explain the zombie epidemic.  Supposedly this version aired once, and ONLY once, and has never been seen again since.

I never really knew whether or not to believe such a print existed, but apparently IT DOES.  And to prove it, here are a few clips (following an article basically reiterating what I wrote above). 

http://www.ghoulbasement.com/2013/07/a- … bably.html

And here I thought I'd seen every version of the film there was to see.  Too bad they didn't included this one on the US Ultimate Dawn set. hmm

Re: Dawn of the Dead -- The "Suspiria" Cut!

That's extremely cool. Must be insanely hard to find though.

Would there even necessarily be a hard copy? Or maybe just reel to reel.

I wonder if that cut was eliminated for legal reasons?  I know that the suspiria re-make never happened due to legal barriers.  As a purist, i tend to like films not borrowing trademark scenes or scores from other films.  However, this definitely would be a major collector item if found.  As a side note, the next horror film i'm watching is Suspiria for the first time in a decade.

Great article, thanks for sharing. For some reason it never occurred to me that Dawn would have been popular in Japan.

I very much need to see this one

LoudLon wrote:

Many, many years ago I read about an altered version of Romero's Dawn of the Dead which aired somewhere in Japan.  Supposedly, that version, which allegedly used Dario Argento's European cut as its jumping off point -- not only edited out even more footage than Argento's cut, but it also altered much of the soundtrack (reportedly including bits and pieces of the soundtrack from Argento's Suspiria, hence "the Suspiria Cut") and replaced all the sound effects, AND added a tag at the beginning of the film attempting to explain the zombie epidemic.  Supposedly this version aired once, and ONLY once, and has never been seen again since.

I never really knew whether or not to believe such a print existed, but apparently IT DOES.  And to prove it, here are a few clips (following an article basically reiterating what I wrote above). 

http://www.ghoulbasement.com/2013/07/a- … bably.html

And here I thought I'd seen every version of the film there was to see.  Too bad they didn't included this one on the US Ultimate Dawn set. hmm

Excellent post, LoudLon.

I am massively intrigued by alternative cuts and endings. big_smile