Re: Lords of salem.

I may be a bit biased due to my being a life-long fan of Zombie's work (music and otherwise), but I thought it was a really solid horror film. Sherry Moon Zombie's acting was a bit shaky here and there, but she pulls it together for the end of the film.  There's a good, slow build-up for the story,  with lots of atmospheric, disturbing images found throughout, and the finale is a glorious piece of surreal, psychedelic work. Mr. Zombie did well with this one, I think.

Last edited by The Creature (2013-12-15 03:54:51)

Lords of Salem: I loved this flic!! Rob. Z, showed maturity with his style and directing skills on this movie. Hated to hear he won't be doing any more horror movies in the near future. 8/10

Can't direct?  There's a lot of stuff in Lords of Salem which from a directorial standpoint is downright Kubrickian.  He may not be the best storyteller as far as plot and script go (with the exception of The Devi's Rejects, which I think is masterful from start to finish) but he has a fantastic cinematic eye.  The imagery and photography in Lords of Salem alone is worth the price of admission.

IMO, natch'.

I was pretty underwhelmed with this one.  Probably cuz I had looked forward to it so much so I was bound for disappointment.  I don't think it was a bad movie, and thought parts of it were great, but it felt incomplete to me.  Actually, if I chose one word to describe it, it would be that _ Incomplete. 

One thing I really liked about it was Bruce Davison.  This guy is one of the most underrated actors I can think of.  He is solid, and enjoyable to watch.  I really like this guy.  Too bad his character didn't have more of an impact. 

Also thought it was cool that Richard Fancy was in it.  I now see he has been active the last 19 years, but I hadn't seen him since Seinfeld.

There were some great visuals in this, and it was a cool premise. 

Plus Sheri's azz is still awesome.

Ghostseeker wrote:

God damn it really is. big_smile

The Creature wrote:
Ghostseeker wrote:

God damn it really is. big_smile

Oh freaking H3LL YESSSsss!!!

I've said it before but it's to me the most beautiful visuals in Horror EVER!!! With Suspiria OF COURSE. big_smile

Last edited by kXnPunk (2013-09-19 00:11:31)

I agree that it felt a bit incomplete, but only the last 10-15 min. Other than that, " solid!"

I finally got the chance to see this last weekend. It was...interesting. For the most part I enjoyed it, but there were parts where I lost interest because of either the visuals or the dialogue. Sheri did a decent job, and the concept is interesting.

I think this one is going to require another watch.

Rob Zombie is a great director. I really enjoyed Devil's Rejects and I LOVED his version of Halloween. Wasn't that fond of House of a 1000 Corpses, but I didn't hate it.

It was a fun movie. Faceless priests masturbating colorful dildos.nice...

Plus Ken Foree was in the film. Ken Foree is always a plus in my book.

I've circulated this movie amongst family and friends and no one likes it except me and Tylor that I know.  Horrible the response.  People must have an idea of what horror MUST be and what this type of movie must be.  They clearly don't know a damn thing about Rob Zombie, lol.  Not to say it's the best movie ever but people don't understand it a lot.  It doesn't help that Sheri Moon is a horrible actress.  But I don't mind seeing her naked.

^^^
I don't think anybody would mind seeing her naked. I they do they really need glasses. But she's NOT a bad actress at all for me. She was perfect in The Devil's Rejects which is probably her best performance ever.

But yes, too bad most people didn't like this one. I prefered it better than my all times favorite from Zombie which WAS House Of The 1000 Corpses so it tells you how much I liked this one. big_smile

I'm a big zombie fan and I feel I'm in the minority of people on this site who love H2, as well!

^^^
Count me in too. Love it.

Very weird film. I love rob zombie films. Very good.

I lend it to my buddy Marc-ander Fucker and he hated it.
I told him he was a stupid motherfucker. lol

I'm glad I caught Lords on the big screen. Loved the slow build-up and the visuals, except for the flashbacks to saggy old witches that were just vile. Was amazing to see Ken Foree in a substantial part. In the end, the film is a mess but I can't say I completely dislike it. There's something there. Another minor complaint would the font during the closing credits. That looked so cheap. Like they used whatever happened to be the default font on their editing software smile House of 1000 corpses is my favourite zombie and Lords comes  a close second.

now aside from rob zombie recycling a good majority of his actors(not necessarily a bad thing) i loved lord of salem.  i do haft to say that the ending just sort of fell flat, maybe he ran short on his budget? the birth at the end of the film without giving away spoilers seemed rushed however i loved everything about the film leading up to the....climax. also sherry moon zombie showed that shes not a one note actress which i haft to give props to her for that.

desensitized wrote:

now aside from rob zombie recycling a good majority of his actors(not necessarily a bad thing) i loved lord of salem.  i do haft to say that the ending just sort of fell flat, maybe he ran short on his budget? the birth at the end of the film without giving away spoilers seemed rushed however i loved everything about the film leading up to the....climax. also sherry moon zombie showed that shes not a one note actress which i haft to give props to her for that.

Welcome to the board Desensitized! And let me thank you, from the bottom of my heart, for bringing up this topic. I knew there had to be a thread somewhere on this board about this "movie", but I have yet to really explore the board too deeply (I'm a noobie as well, not to mention a little lazy). And next to Friday the 13th part 8, there's nothing that gets me more riled up than Rob Zombie's "movies".

You're absolutely right that the ending of Lords of Salem ending is disappointing. And compared to the rest of ROb's movie's, most of Lords of Salem is somewhat enjoyable. Somewhat...

The rest, I have to completely disagree with you on. And please, by no means should you take this as a personal attack on your tastes, or your character. While I don't always understand people's opinions most of the time, I definitely respect the fact that people think differently. In fact I prefer it. It would be rather boring and not very stimulating, if everyone agreed on everything. With that said, here's my opinion on Lords of Salem, and the "director" Rob Zombie.

Lords of Salem has a decent premise, which is very rare in a Zombie movie, and in some parts, it's actually good in developing mood. But the rest of the flick is the typical mess that I've come to expect when seeing a Zombie movie. His recycling of actors is very insulting. For some reason, there are a lot of people who think this is a good thing. But for me, it's so condescending that it makes me physically ill. Some people call it a tribute, or an homage, but it's not. It's blatant pandering. Rob's well aware that Horror fans are a loyal bunch, and that they're deathly loyal to certain icons of the genre. Lets take Bruce Campbell and Jeffrey Combs as an example. If you went into a horror convention and screamed out loud that one of these guys sucks, you better know how to fight, because you'll have horde's of people looking to beat you to death. ROb knows this, so he got it into his head that, "If I hire a bunch of washed up actors from old horror movies, the fans will flock to this movie no matter how shitty it is". It's like those Old Navy commercials from a few years ago. One of them had Mr. T, George Jefferson, Morgan Fairchild, Gary Coleman, Gilligan, etc... When you watched it, you sort of thought to yourself "Wow! I'm seeing something special" But it wasn't. It was just a bunch of recognizable people that were thrown together. And for a commercial, that's fine! It's only a 30 second commercial. Things like talent and chemistry aren't really necessary. But in a movie they are. YOu have to watch them for 90 minutes, and when the novelty of seeing Stretch, Chop Top, or the black dude from DotD wears off after 5 minutes. You're left to endure their terrible acting. And as far as Sherrie is concerned, I'll admit, she's not bad on the eye's, but she's a total one trick pony. She just can't act. If she could, where are her other acting roles? What other directors are hiring her? I was told recently that it's not fair to pick on her because lots of directors hire friends and famililes, and use them consistently in their movies. And I thought about it for a second. How Joe Dante always uses Dick Miller and the late great Kevin McCarthy, or even a more apt comparison is how Ron Howard casts Clint Howard in a lot of his flicks. But there's a glaringly obvious difference. Other people, besides Ron Howard, actually hire
Clint to be in their movies, and not once has Ron ever cast Clint as the lead in a movie. Now that I think about it, the only reason ROb probably makes movies so Sherrie can be in them. When he met her, she probably told him that she was an actress, and to make her feel better he started making movies.

Another thing that really bothers me is, when you ask fans of Zombie's what qualifies him to make a horror movie, their usual response is "Rob is a big fan of the genre, and has a great knowledge of the history of Horror". Which is just ridiculous. If that's the only qualification you need to be a competent director, everyone on this message board would be qualified. Most directors, good one's and bad one's, have either worked on movies for years, or gone to school to learn how to make movies. Like a lot of professions, it's a discipline. You can't watch a bunch of planes take off, and then decide one day to take a Boeing 747 for a ride, nor can you listen to a bunch of music and decide to play Carnegie Hall. It takes years and years of dedication, learning the ins and outs, before you can do something competently. I've talked about this before and someone once said "He did! He worked on Pee Wee's Playhouse as a production assistant." PA's are nothing more than people who get coffee for the people who are actually important to the production. They do nothing else really. And if Rob had stuck with it, moved up the ranks, yes, he might have had a better understanding of how to make a decent movie. BUt he didn't. He did get some fame from being in White Zombie, and to be honest, I was one of their biggest fans. I've probably seen them at least a dozen times. In really small clubs, and also at the end of their run, in big arenas. And I was one of those people who was super psyched that he was making a movie, but then I realize that Rob pretty much used his fame to make a movie, and that he had zero talent to write or direct. I'm just happy that I learned quickly. I remember after I went to see House of 1000 Corpses, I went with my friend to a bar afterwards. After seeing a flick in the theaters, I always like to go to a bar and discuss the movie with the person I went with. She was a big WZ fan too, and after expressing my dismay for the car crash I just witnessed, she said, "It was his first movie, eventually he'll get better at it!" As if House was a "practice movie". So as a loyal fan, he's going to make shitty movies till he gets adequate at it, and I'm supposed to keep paying until he gets good at it?

I'd love to keep ranting, but I gotta bounce. And before anyone says, "If you hate his movies so much, why do you watch them?". It's because I'm a horror fan, I try to watch them all, and since House, I've only downloaded his movies for free. Plus, it's just too easy and too much fun to make fun of them. Sorry about being so brief, and glossing over most of the negatives about his movies. I'll try to be more thorough next time smile

^^^
Very interesting even if I strongly disappoint with you.

The visuals, stories and acting in most of his stuff especially my favorite after Lords, House Of Thousand Corpses is just brilliant. The tension and creepiness is definitely very present. And man, Captain Spaulding in Devil's Rejects is just creepy as H3LL and fantastic. As for Sheri Hot Moon, her character in Lords was very well conducted. As in Devil's, House or even Halloween...

What I like about Rob is his originality even if he takes stuff from old classics, he makes it his own TOTALLY. And boy the shots are just masterful especially in Lords.

There, that's what a huge fan like me has to say. big_smile

And a big wH3LLcome to the MADhouse desensitized hope you'll enjoy the best forum ever. smile

Last edited by kXnPunk (2014-02-28 21:02:31)

If ya didn't disagree with me Punk, I'd be a bit worried. wink

^^^
Mwahahahaha lol

I judged it as worth seeing but nothing to write home about and not Zombie's best film.

Toadliquor wrote:
desensitized wrote:

Welcome to the board Desensitized! And let me thank you, from the bottom of my heart, for bringing up this topic. I knew there had to be a thread somewhere on this board about this "movie", but I have yet to really explore the board too deeply (I'm a noobie as well, not to mention a little lazy). And next to Friday the 13th part 8, there's nothing that gets me more riled up than Rob Zombie's "movies".

You're absolutely right that the ending of Lords of Salem ending is disappointing. And compared to the rest of ROb's movie's, most of Lords of Salem is somewhat enjoyable. Somewhat...

The rest, I have to completely disagree with you on. And please, by no means should you take this as a personal attack on your tastes, or your character. While I don't always understand people's opinions most of the time, I definitely respect the fact that people think differently. In fact I prefer it. It would be rather boring and not very stimulating, if everyone agreed on everything. With that said, here's my opinion on Lords of Salem, and the "director" Rob Zombie.

Lords of Salem has a decent premise, which is very rare in a Zombie movie, and in some parts, it's actually good in developing mood. But the rest of the flick is the typical mess that I've come to expect when seeing a Zombie movie. His recycling of actors is very insulting. For some reason, there are a lot of people who think this is a good thing. But for me, it's so condescending that it makes me physically ill. Some people call it a tribute, or an homage, but it's not. It's blatant pandering. Rob's well aware that Horror fans are a loyal bunch, and that they're deathly loyal to certain icons of the genre. Lets take Bruce Campbell and Jeffrey Combs as an example. If you went into a horror convention and screamed out loud that one of these guys sucks, you better know how to fight, because you'll have horde's of people looking to beat you to death. ROb knows this, so he got it into his head that, "If I hire a bunch of washed up actors from old horror movies, the fans will flock to this movie no matter how shitty it is". It's like those Old Navy commercials from a few years ago. One of them had Mr. T, George Jefferson, Morgan Fairchild, Gary Coleman, Gilligan, etc... When you watched it, you sort of thought to yourself "Wow! I'm seeing something special" But it wasn't. It was just a bunch of recognizable people that were thrown together. And for a commercial, that's fine! It's only a 30 second commercial. Things like talent and chemistry aren't really necessary. But in a movie they are. YOu have to watch them for 90 minutes, and when the novelty of seeing Stretch, Chop Top, or the black dude from DotD wears off after 5 minutes. You're left to endure their terrible acting. And as far as Sherrie is concerned, I'll admit, she's not bad on the eye's, but she's a total one trick pony. She just can't act. If she could, where are her other acting roles? What other directors are hiring her? I was told recently that it's not fair to pick on her because lots of directors hire friends and famililes, and use them consistently in their movies. And I thought about it for a second. How Joe Dante always uses Dick Miller and the late great Kevin McCarthy, or even a more apt comparison is how Ron Howard casts Clint Howard in a lot of his flicks. But there's a glaringly obvious difference. Other people, besides Ron Howard, actually hire
Clint to be in their movies, and not once has Ron ever cast Clint as the lead in a movie. Now that I think about it, the only reason ROb probably makes movies so Sherrie can be in them. When he met her, she probably told him that she was an actress, and to make her feel better he started making movies.

Another thing that really bothers me is, when you ask fans of Zombie's what qualifies him to make a horror movie, their usual response is "Rob is a big fan of the genre, and has a great knowledge of the history of Horror". Which is just ridiculous. If that's the only qualification you need to be a competent director, everyone on this message board would be qualified. Most directors, good one's and bad one's, have either worked on movies for years, or gone to school to learn how to make movies. Like a lot of professions, it's a discipline. You can't watch a bunch of planes take off, and then decide one day to take a Boeing 747 for a ride, nor can you listen to a bunch of music and decide to play Carnegie Hall. It takes years and years of dedication, learning the ins and outs, before you can do something competently. I've talked about this before and someone once said "He did! He worked on Pee Wee's Playhouse as a production assistant." PA's are nothing more than people who get coffee for the people who are actually important to the production. They do nothing else really. And if Rob had stuck with it, moved up the ranks, yes, he might have had a better understanding of how to make a decent movie. BUt he didn't. He did get some fame from being in White Zombie, and to be honest, I was one of their biggest fans. I've probably seen them at least a dozen times. In really small clubs, and also at the end of their run, in big arenas. And I was one of those people who was super psyched that he was making a movie, but then I realize that Rob pretty much used his fame to make a movie, and that he had zero talent to write or direct. I'm just happy that I learned quickly. I remember after I went to see House of 1000 Corpses, I went with my friend to a bar afterwards. After seeing a flick in the theaters, I always like to go to a bar and discuss the movie with the person I went with. She was a big WZ fan too, and after expressing my dismay for the car crash I just witnessed, she said, "It was his first movie, eventually he'll get better at it!" As if House was a "practice movie". So as a loyal fan, he's going to make shitty movies till he gets adequate at it, and I'm supposed to keep paying until he gets good at it?

I'd love to keep ranting, but I gotta bounce. And before anyone says, "If you hate his movies so much, why do you watch them?". It's because I'm a horror fan, I try to watch them all, and since House, I've only downloaded his movies for free. Plus, it's just too easy and too much fun to make fun of them. Sorry about being so brief, and glossing over most of the negatives about his movies. I'll try to be more thorough next time smile

well that was a very good rant, i must say ^^ and i respect where your coming from on the matter. now that that's out of the way i will say that rob did have a bit of production and camera work under his belt. ive heard many reports on him being very hands on with his music videos if not producing them himself and i would be shocked if not, cause they seem to have his fingerprints all over them. on another note with house of 1000 corpses, yes he basically shot and produced it himself because none of the studios would attach there names to his script, feeling that it was a bit to gruesome for audiences, and he slowly bought up all the rights and shipped it out himself. now i might be a bit biased since im really a zombie fan music to movies but he does seem to know his camera work and technicals, which im sure he picked up during his music career. talking about lords i will say the things i liked about it was the film grain used and the tone it created felt like a early to mid 70's movie to me( could just be how it felt to me though), but his reboot of Halloween seemed to feature the same shooting style so i guess it doesn't necessarily feel unique, and i thought the build up was pretty entertaining. The parts i didnt really like would probably be the opening which seemed to want to shock you but really just gave me an uncomfortable feeling and of course back the point of the flat ending it gave us.

desensitized wrote:

well that was a very good rant, i must say ^^ and i respect where your coming from on the matter. now that that's out of the way i will say that rob did have a bit of production and camera work under his belt. ive heard many reports on him being very hands on with his music videos if not producing them himself and i would be shocked if not, cause they seem to have his fingerprints all over them. on another note with house of 1000 corpses, yes he basically shot and produced it himself because none of the studios would attach there names to his script, feeling that it was a bit to gruesome for audiences, and he slowly bought up all the rights and shipped it out himself. now i might be a bit biased since im really a zombie fan music to movies but he does seem to know his camera work and technicals, which im sure he picked up during his music career. talking about lords i will say the things i liked about it was the film grain used and the tone it created felt like a early to mid 70's movie to me( could just be how it felt to me though), but his reboot of Halloween seemed to feature the same shooting style so i guess it doesn't necessarily feel unique, and i thought the build up was pretty entertaining. The parts i didnt really like would probably be the opening which seemed to want to shock you but really just gave me an uncomfortable feeling and of course back the point of the flat ending it gave us.

Thanks! And you're right, I totally forgot about White Zombie's videos. RZ definitely had a lot to do with them. But music video's, especially their's, were almost collage-like. Weird images flashed up on the screen for a second or two, a couple seconds of them playing, then another quick couple of images. It's exactly what House of 1000 Corpses looked like, which is why it came off so haphazardly,not to mention scenes and dialogue that had nothing to do with the movie (like the Firefly's trip to Red HOt Pussy LIquor).
As far as his cinematography is concerned, I think more credit is deserved to his DP than Rob. Ho1KC is definitely ROb. But the rest of his films I think he let the DP do his thing. And there are some pretty shots thrown into his movies, but they're all so overused and cliché. One of the scenes that always gets talked about is the end of Devils Rejects, and the helicopter shot in the desert. Some people saw that as stunning. I was wondering if the Firefly's were driving the car or if it was Thelma and Louise. And the ending shots of Lords, complete rip-off of Kubrick, with a smattering of theft from Argento. People will throw around phrases like "Influenced by", but influences are subtle and not always noticeable at first glance. Not to mention that Iin movies like The Shining and Suspiria, you see that sort of camerawork and imagery throughout the film, not just at the edn of the movie when you want to leave an impression.

But enough of ROb, I want to thank you for being so thorough in explaining your thoughts. It's so easy and common place to just say "This movie kicks ass", or "This movie sucks a cock", which really doesn';t convey much of anything in my opinion. So BAM!! 500 toetags coming your way (don't ask me what they're for, it was explained to me once, but I still don't understand)