Topic: New Friday The 13th film

I hope they get the new film right. The one thing that pissed me off in the first film was that Jason kept someone alive!. He has so feelings or remorse. He does one thing, he kills people. It just ruined the horror icon when he didn't kill the final girl. Bring back the evil essence of Jason!.

Re: New Friday The 13th film

Are you talking about this one? (UHM link)  Looks like it's still in developmental hell.

Well I suppose that may be for the better. The remake was awful. In all my many years of going to see horror films, I had never seen anybody walk out.  At the Friday The 13th premiere I saw about twenty people walk out of the theater. Not a good sign on an opening weekend!.

The F13 remake got some spirited reviews.  I thought it was OK, but wow some people had some strong opinions.

The remake wasn't horrible but it didn't do much for me.

Mad Max wrote:

At the Friday The 13th premiere I saw about twenty people walk out of the theater.

Well, they missed one of the best set of breasts in the history of film.  That girl towards the end...beautiful.

I just read an article that the sequel is a go, and they are looking at an internet show...Crystal Lake Chronicles.  Couldn't find link.  Though this is probably old news to anybody here.

I thought it was alright. Despite the character updates and the cast it felt more or less like a Friday film. I think they should stick to unknown actors though... instantly recognizable actors are distracting.

NonEuclidean wrote:

I thought it was alright. Despite the character updates and the cast it felt more or less like a Friday film. I think they should stick to unknown actors though... instantly recognizable actors are distracting.

I don't mind well-known actors as long as the bite the big one eventually. A movie that comes to mind would be the house of wax remake. Paris Hilton didn't do too bad playing a dumb blonde and it was somewhat satisfying to see the killer "lay some pipe" sorta speak.

^^^
Truth.

And Elisha Cuthbert, canadian hottie was amazing in her terrified chick but still badass role...

Last edited by kXnPunk (2014-03-02 11:01:06)

wanted the remake to be good but in the end it doesn't matter because I can always pop in the dvd of the original

^^^
Mwahaha Wise man. big_smile

Compared to parts 7, 8 and 9 I liked the F13th remake. I really liked how it has elements and gives tribute to the original first 4 Friday movies. I was super relieved they didn't cast "dummy" as Jason. And killing off the obvious survivor girl was pretty original. I didn't see that coming at all.

There were some serious problems though, here they are:

1) Jason being a kidnapper: Jason held a girl hostage for 4 weeks? Are we supposed to believe that Jason, fed this chick, went every day to get her water, emptied out buckets of her shit and piss, and kept this girl alive for that long? Why??? For what reason? Jason doesn't do that! Jason's whole MO is, if you fuck around Camp Crystal Lake, you get butchered. No exceptions. People could say that Amy Steel tricked him temporarily in Part 2 by throwing on his mom's moldy sweater, but as soon as Jason saw his moms head, he went after her. Jason had his moms head on display in the remake so he knew it wasn't her. There's no reason for her to have been alive.

2) The douche chilling ending line: I can't stand catchphrases or when people try to be cool before killing someone by saying some saucy line. When that chick said "Say hello to your mother Jason... IN HELL" It was one of those "kick the TV set in with your Doc Marten's" moments. Luckily, I was barefoot, so I didn't do it. Some movies can pull it off, like the EVil Dead movies. I didn't even mind the closing kill line in the Evil Dead remake, but it did make me roll my eyes a bit. It just came off so hokey it sort of spoiled everything up to that point.

3) After Jason gets his head caved in from the wood chipper. Why exactly do they drag his body out to the lake and dump him in it? They threw out the most important piece of evidence! Plus Jason is a big mother fucker. Imagine going through the ordeal the survivors went through, they've got to be physically and emotionally drained. Why do they feel compelled to all of a sudden drag a 250+ lb corpse all the way to the lake. Would the cops be so understanding? Hell no! they;d probably be arrested for the murders of every corpse that was found. Plus one of the corpses, the guy was seen in public having a fight with, that wouldn't bode well with a cop.

It wasn't bad, but those parts were so confounding and maddening, that it sort of left me feeling very indifferent. Could've been worse though, it could've been as bad as the NOES remake.

I'd really like to see a prequel. Showing Jason being raised by his mom and how he became the monster that he is. BUt that's too much of a fan movie, and I'm sure they're looking for a script with broader appeal.

Last edited by Toadliquor (2014-03-02 17:33:33)

I wholeheartedly agree with you on the friday the 13th remake, Toad. I will say one of my favorite Jason kills is in the reboot. when the girls hung upside down, tied in her own sleeping bag, over the campfire and Jason leaves a bear trap to snare her boyfriend so he gets to watch her burn. i cant say i pegged Jason for smart, so this kill felt somewhat out of character but damn it made my inner serial killer shed a tear to this epic kill.

back on topic ill probably own this once it hits dvd, i have to be a completionist on my Friday the 13th collection. on a side note i begrudgingly got the Nightmare On Elm Street reboot recently for this very reason
>.<.

Last edited by desensitized (2014-03-02 23:56:09)

Jason x is a guilty pleasure of mine

The entire series is a guilty pleasure of mine. I know there suppose to be bad but I can't stop myself from seeing them. I thought the remake was pretty good is the new one going to be another remake/reboot or part two to the first remake.

I liked the remake for what it was, a bloody slasher movie with boobs; but even I have to admit that it didn't really feel like a Friday flick. I hoping the sequel does end up being made simply because I love slashers. Hopefully they'll bring it back to its old roots.

Remake was a decent flick but didn't have the right vibe at all (like Suspiria said).

I'm not against another, but with the rumours being for a found footage movie... ehh I dunno. I remember reading about the sequel to be set in a wintery kind of setting which brought up some cool images in my mind of Jason trudging through the snow after his victims. But that was a long time ago, before the subsequent found footage idea.

I am with you Toad and Desensitized. The last Friday felt like a greatest hits package of the first 4 films.

i just recently picked up Crystal Lake Memories, the 4 hour retrospective of all the Fridays to date. It's made by the same folks that did the Elm street documentary Never Sleep Again. Pretty cool and well worth adding to the shelf. It follows the same vein and takes to directors, cast, music etc. It also gives more insight and reveals some casual disregard about how Jason was developed before, during and after Kane Hodder. Well worth a look.

The news on the the new iteration has varied from it being a prequel, to the mother, to no jason. Found footage is NOT the way to go in my opinion.

With that in mind, what is the best of the Fridays? ( And it's not Jason X, even though it can be a guilty pleasure Ash's missing hand.)

^^^
My favorite of all them isn't even the first one. It's Freddy VS Jason. Why??? Freddy. 'Nuff said. big_smile

FlickCromwell wrote:

I am with you Toad and Desensitized. The last Friday felt like a greatest hits package of the first 4 films.

i just recently picked up Crystal Lake Memories, the 4 hour retrospective of all the Fridays to date. It's made by the same folks that did the Elm street documentary Never Sleep Again. Pretty cool and well worth adding to the shelf. It follows the same vein and takes to directors, cast, music etc. It also gives more insight and reveals some casual disregard about how Jason was developed before, during and after Kane Hodder. Well worth a look.

The news on the the new iteration has varied from it being a prequel, to the mother, to no jason. Found footage is NOT the way to go in my opinion.

With that in mind, what is the best of the Fridays? ( And it's not Jason X, even though it can be a guilty pleasure Ash's missing hand.)

I never looked at Jason x or Freddy vs. Jason to be taken serious in the least(not to say they arnt good in there own odd ways), but more as horror comedy like Bride of Chucky, and seed.
If you really want the best friday movies look no further than 1-3. easily the best versions if your not into the zombified regenerative Jason. That being said, I love Freddy vs. Jason and jason x because of the campy feel they give off. I mean come on Jason is frozen solid and still cuts someones arm off in the beginning of Jason x, that's just hilarious.

I also really hate the idea of a found footage version of friday the 13th.... I feel dirty just typing found footage in the same sentence as friday the 13th...i did it again ugh. It just sounds to me that the movie execs cant come up with a way to do another sequel and decided to toss that together for some quick cash(as if they havnt already been doing that lulz).

Count me as another who liked the reboot. It wasn't perfect and in some regards needed work, but I think it had more good than bad in it. My favorites of the series are 2, 4, 6 and 7, and as a long-time F13 fan, I thought the reboot was a fine addition.

I agree with the reboot being a good addition, it made sense in the way they portrayed him as a survivalist, who knew camp crystal lake like the back of his hand. Him keeping a hostage for so long didn't make a whole lot of sense but i liked a good amount of the kills and gore.

I also like how the reboot in some ways plays more like a loose sequel than a straight-up retelling of the series and in my mind it's a sequel.

Is this not going to be a TV series instead or are we getting a movie and TV show?!

http://www.deadline.com/2014/04/friday- … ng-series/