Re: Last horror movie you watched?

The Crush

Vasquez wrote:
bentheprop wrote:

American Mary - Decent movie but not much of a true horror flick. 7/10

How so? I would be interested why you think it isn't horror.

It just didn't have a horror feel for me. It was more like a surgical drama with excess blood and a bit of an edge. About the only real horror part for me was the bit of torture and that was pretty minimal. Hell, I've seen worse in a gangster movie or crime drama.

^^^
I thought the whole atmosphere, Gore and soundtrack was pretty damn Horror to tell you the truth...
Ah well...

Chomper wrote:
Master Horror wrote:

Nothing Left To Fear 2013

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1662293/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

It wasn't the best horror ever but it was okay. It's a slow film that just about gets somewhere about 50 minutes in.

Usually I quit movies that irritate me, before I finish watching them. But with this I stayed with it.

I used to quit movies like that too but I've tried to stick to 'em. Never heard of that one and it has very few votes on imdb, how'd you hear about it?

I try to stick with them, but often it's hard. Like you only get one life. Time is valuable.  It's a shame to waste it on trash. big_smile

I heard about it here and there. On a Google search for new horror films.

Return of the Evil Dead (1973

Perfectly imperfectly dubbed. big_smile

10/10 for the hell of it. big_smile

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068232/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

The Tall Man (2012) I thought the first half of this film was actually pretty good. Beautiful cinematography and great character set up.
But it kind of fell apart after that, when too much was revealed. Though I still think it's a decent watch.
6/10

An American Haunting (2005)
Um, it was pretty bad. But I forced myself to watch it through to the end. The director was pretty competent at making me jump, but seemed horrible at everything else. There should have been some decent acting in there, considering some of the cast that were in it.
3/10

tamccullough wrote:

The Tall Man (2012) I thought the first half of this film was actually pretty good. Beautiful cinematography and great character set up.
But it kind of fell apart after that, when too much was revealed. Though I still think it's a decent watch.
6/10

Um, it was pretty bad. But I forced myself to watch it through to the end. The director was pretty competent at making me jump, but seemed horrible at everything else. There should have been some decent acting in there, considering some of the cast that were in it.
3/10

I'm gonna check those two films out. Thanks. big_smile

The Sender (1982)

Hadn't heard of this one before, but it turned out to be a nice treat. It's about a guy sent to a mental hospital who has some kind of psychic-dream invasive ability, that sort of messes with the minds of the people around him. There's some striking visuals in it which I liked a lot, and the music is suitably eerie at times. The story is pretty good, maybe a bit thin, but overall it delivers a good experience. Stars that guy who has a name that I can't remember or pronounce, but he's played a shady guy in a suit in basically everything I've seen him in.

7/10

Mario Bava's Kill Baby Kill aka Curse of The Living Dead aka Operation Fear.

9/10.

My second favourite Bava flick so far.

Last edited by Vasquez (2013-10-04 18:01:34)

Static 7/10 and a pleasant surprise

tamccullough wrote:

6/10

3/10

To me American Haunting is a PERFECT MASTERPIECE really. Badass acting, badass story, badass visuals... Yeah to each his own. lol

floridapossum, yes, Static is amazing. Loved it too...

Lords Of Salem

I really want to like this movie, I love all things involving the salem witch trials but this movie has left me confused. Maybe I should give it a second watch?

5/10

^^^
Yes revengebiteme, I admit that it's confusing but that's why I loved it so much, I love weird stuff. lol

Vasquez wrote:

9/10.

Damn this is a great one. Bava power, this guy is great. smile

Last edited by kXnPunk (2013-10-05 08:01:17)

Last horror movie I TRIED to watch.

Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters (2013)

Painful beyond belief.

At 31 minutes in I was done. I had enough. Awful film. Badly acted. No plot. Terrible action sequences. Dire beyond belief. Take away the horror make up, I couldn't see anyone beyond the age of 5 years old liking this.

I mean, this film had no point to it. And Gemma Arterton is just terrible. Where did they dig her up from?

Jeremy Renner isn't much better, but with the lines he was asked to deliver, then he doesn't have much hope.

1/10.

Last edited by Master Horror (2013-10-05 09:20:35)

^^^
I must be crazy because I loved it like mad. Few I don't really. One that I won't mention not to offend people but lots know about the worst movie ever for me. Yeah, I'm strange, I know... lol

WARM BODIES [2013]

What a wondeful one this was, amazing story, AWESOME ACTING. Very touching sweet love story. And some extremely funny lines. Yup, great one. smile

kXnPunk wrote:

^^^
I must be crazy because I loved it like mad...

Whatever flouts your boat, as they say. wink

Or...

... FLOAT even... big_smile

Master Horror wrote:
tamccullough wrote:

6/10

3/10

An American Haunting is Canadian... and I love supporting Canadian... but...

The Tall Man is definitely cool. If you liked Martyrs, this is the same director, so you should enjoy it.

kXnPunk wrote:

^^^
I must be crazy because I loved it like mad. Few I don't really. One that I won't mention not to offend people but lots know about the worst movie ever for me. Yeah, I'm strange, I know... lol

WARM BODIES [2013]

What a wondeful one this was, amazing story, AWESOME ACTING. Very touching sweet love story. And some extremely funny lines. Yup, great one. smile

My wife and I are watching it tomorrow I think. She has to finish the Cabin in the Woods tonight first.

Brotherhood of The Wolf:  I have watched this move about 6 or more times now since it's release. Not many movies out there that seem just as fresh with each viewing. For me, this is one of them. It has: beautiful landscape, costumes, good acting, intriguing characters, great story telling, action, violence, and much more. A veritable feast for just about anyone who enjoys horror films. If you have somehow missed watching this film? I highly recommend you tracking this one down .

8.5/10

^ Thanks, another for my watchlist!

Land of the Dead (re-watch - 8.5/10) - I really like this film. There's lots of good zombie special fx gore found throughout, the narration is clear, the cast is really solid, and above all, it's fun! Dunno why it gets shit on so frequently, but "each to their own" as the saying so often goes. I think Romero did a great job with the big budget he had to work with this time around.

Diary of the Dead (re-watch, 7.5/10) - Enjoyable, interesting, but as far as a found footage film goes, I find that the "realness" of the acting and delivery of the situations that occur throughout the film are a bit difficult to believe. Blair Witch Project, though it had an entirely different kind of story, was very believable in my opinion. Diary wasn't as much, but that's okay. It's a decent found footage zombie flick laced with bits of social media satire throughout. Nothing gut-wrenchingly deep from what I can tell, but it's there.

I think I'll continue the night with a re-watch of "Survival".

Edit:
Survival of the Dead (re-watch, 7/10) - It's got its faults, but nonetheless, it's still an enjoyable movie. I will say that the lead man, Alan van Sprang, is great. He would definitely make for a badass hero for the zombie apocalypse genre, if he were to appear in a few more films as lead role. His few minor bits in Land and Diary create a nice miniature mythos for the fans to put together. Kenneth Welsh, who plays Patrick O'Flynn is also very likable in his character...in fact, the whole cast is pretty cool. Some of the downsides: Some of the make-up on the zombies could have used more attention, though that is a minor complaint. The CGI was also pretty unrealistic in a few scenes, which was disappointing. I understand Romero's reasoning for wanting to use CG as opposed to practical effects on a small budget picture. But still...there were a few scenes that would have been (I think) very memorable and much more dynamic if the filmmakers chose to take the tougher (and more expensive/time-consuming) route and used practical effects instead. For example, the scene in the woods, with the zombie heads stuck on the stakes for shooting targets. If they had been animatronic heads instead of CGI-created, how much cooler would that shoot-out have been? Even the irregular jerking of the animatronics would have looked better than the CGI they used for that particular gag, IMO. Anyway, despite its faults, it IS a fun zombie movie with a good story for the beginning weeks of a zombie outbreak. Which is what really counts.

Last edited by The Creature (2013-10-06 03:50:42)

tamccullough wrote:
Master Horror wrote:
tamccullough wrote:

6/10

3/10

An American Haunting is Canadian... and I love supporting Canadian... but...

The Tall Man is definitely cool. If you liked Martyrs, this is the same director, so you should enjoy it.

The Tall Man, I've never seen. Gonna try to watch it tonight.

Last edited by Master Horror (2013-10-06 03:16:00)

World War Z

Not as bad as I thought it would be but certainly not a shining example of horror since it felt more like a bourne movie with zombies than anything else.

7/10.

kXnPunk wrote:

^^^
Yes revengebiteme, I admit that it's confusing but that's why I loved it so much, I love weird stuff. lol

Vasquez wrote:

9/10.

Damn this is a great one. Bava power, this guy is great. smile

True dat.